Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout of cases requiring hospitalization by age group (the graphic above).  

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, NUance said:

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

It's clear China is under-reporting.  By a lot.  This NY Times article says China's official death toll is 3,322.  Other sources estimate it's north of 40,000.  LINK

That said, even though China was the one who opened Pandora's box, they've done a decent job of containing it--once they realized the potential to become a pandemic.  

36 minutes ago, NUance said:

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

We won't know the actual mortality rate until after the pandemic is over. For example, back in 2002-2003 during the SARS outbreak, the estimated mortality rate was around 6%, but years later after much more thorough data collection the mortality rate was 10%. With covid-19 having so many cases and deaths, we might never know the actual mortality.

Inside an ER during the coronavirus outbreak

"They're so sick you lose them in a heartbeat, they're that sick," respiratory therapist Julie Eason told CNN. "They're talking to you and then a few minutes later you're putting a tube down their throat and you're hoping that you can set the ventilator in such a way that it actually helps them."
This is the truth of what coronavirus is doing to thousands of Americans, and likely will to many thousand more. It has been largely unseen because visitors are not allowed to be in hospitals, and everyone else is staying home.

7 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Hopefully we bunker down the next 3 months and get the players practicing mid July to start the season on time....

Shutting down the economy and telling people to stay at home from March to July isn’t realistic.  People are going to continue to get this through the yr and into the fall.  SIP wasn’t about stopping it for good it was about managing the peak.  People need to quit moving he goalposts.  You can already see the models they used were/are complete and utter garbage.  They have until may and then regardless of what the government says you will start to see less and less adoption anyway.  They need to quit overplaying their hand and figure out a way to open up, sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

Shutting down the economy and telling people to stay at home from March to July isn’t realistic. 

Immediately jumping to giving a thumbs up for a normal amount of country/worldwide events with 10-150,000 people is also not realistic. 

We will stop staying at home all the time. Business will start to go more back to normal. But we need to be careful ramping up certain "massive large gatherings" elements of society. 

idk about the season. Herbstreit doesn't think so, amongst many others. There's some vague writing on the wall that makes me nervous, like Oklahoma canceling all organized athletic meetings until the end of July. Dabo Swinney seems to think we'll have the season, but then again he's a selfish dips#!t who keeps taking his family on vacations in private jets during all of this. 

• Plus1 2