Jump to content
suh_fan93

Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Recommended Posts


Why would you waste a Wal Mart trip on Natural Light, it tastes like dirty sink water?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If true, then the mortality rate is MUCH higher than the 3% from earlier data out of China.

 

Possibly.  But if that's true it would also seem likely that they have under-reported total cases as well.  

Share this post


Link to post

 

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

 

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

 

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout of cases requiring hospitalization by age group (the graphic above).  

 

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, NUance said:

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

 

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

 

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

 

 

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

 

It's clear China is under-reporting.  By a lot.  This NY Times article says China's official death toll is 3,322.  Other sources estimate it's north of 40,000.  LINK

 

That said, even though China was the one who opened Pandora's box, they've done a decent job of containing it--once they realized the potential to become a pandemic.  

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, NUance said:

 

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

 

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

 

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

 

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

 

We won't know the actual mortality rate until after the pandemic is over. For example, back in 2002-2003 during the SARS outbreak, the estimated mortality rate was around 6%, but years later after much more thorough data collection the mortality rate was 10%. With covid-19 having so many cases and deaths, we might never know the actual mortality.

Share this post


Link to post

This is cool. Gates throwing away a lot of money (and possibly all of it) to try to find a cure faster.

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...