suh_fan93

Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Why would you waste a Wal Mart trip on Natural Light, it tastes like dirty sink water?

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If true, then the mortality rate is MUCH higher than the 3% from earlier data out of China.

Possibly.  But if that's true it would also seem likely that they have under-reported total cases as well.  

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout of cases requiring hospitalization by age group (the graphic above).  

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, NUance said:

Does anyone actually know the mortality rates?  I've heard everything from 0.5% to 3.0%.   A google of the topic reveals sources saying we're overestimating the death rate, and others saying we're underestimating it.    

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

Edit:  Here's an article on why death rates from various sources and countries differ:  LINK

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, it's pretty tough to know for sure.  I've usually gone by these numbers, which show about 5.3% right now.  But the actual number of cases is almost certainly under-reported but the death number one would think would be accurate (other than cases and deaths seem to be under-reported by China). So I would say the 5.3% is probably more of a ceiling.  But I'm not sure what would be a better number.

It's clear China is under-reporting.  By a lot.  This NY Times article says China's official death toll is 3,322.  Other sources estimate it's north of 40,000.  LINK

That said, even though China was the one who opened Pandora's box, they've done a decent job of containing it--once they realized the potential to become a pandemic.  

36 minutes ago, NUance said:

1800x1200_covid-19_hospitalisation_graph

This WebMD article based on a Lancet study appears to be the most authoritative.  LINK  They say 1.38%. overall, and provide a breakout by age group (the graphic above).  

We won't know the actual mortality rate until after the pandemic is over. For example, back in 2002-2003 during the SARS outbreak, the estimated mortality rate was around 6%, but years later after much more thorough data collection the mortality rate was 10%. With covid-19 having so many cases and deaths, we might never know the actual mortality.

This is cool. Gates throwing away a lot of money (and possibly all of it) to try to find a cure faster.

• Plus1 2