Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

On 4/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, Loebarth said:

Well to be rather blunt.. I know that I'm far from intelligent. (Thankfully we have spell check :ohnoes)

Still, even though I know I don't know.. I simply don't trust the government nor do I trust today's journalist. Heck, for the most part, I don't trust myself... (yes, because I know I'm an idiot). However, I've spoken with the 3 persons in my life that are in the medical field and all three have said virtually the same thing. Yes the virus is real, yes the virus has dire consequences, no you "do not want to catch it" but in the hospitals they work (1 in omaha, 1 in St. Paul MN and the other in Phoenix (well, mesa) most of the staff doesn't consider this a pandemic. In fact, all 3 have said they fully support the social distancing but advised me to not believe the fear mongering that's occurring. The MN nurse works the icu and actually stated she's bored beyond belief. The AZ nurse is down to only working 2 shifts per week and texted me last night to say she may be in Omaha this weekend if they drop her to 1 shift per week.

That's neat that they were bored in the ICU. My fiancée barely has time to pee, and had to scarf down her lunch in a few minutes while taking care of COVID patients in the ICU for the last month. She's barely been sleeping and we've had long talks when she comes home in the morning about how eff'ed up what she has to go through is. It's taken a pretty heavy emotional and physical toll.

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Everyone who thinks this is nothing should be required to sit and watch this. 

I tried this morning.  I couldn't.  My daughter had RSV when she was 2 (3 nights in the hospital) and we were nervous wrecks; it looked like a "cold" compared to that little boy...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't mean to pick on this one tweet but what has happened to writing and journalism? Is it the Twitter platform or are people getting stupid or not being properly educated?  I assume Chris Dunker works for LJS. "Shoot passed" instead of shoot past? It's unbelievable the proliferation of bad grammar and incorrect word usage. Sometimes the messenger can kill the message. 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't mean to pick on this one tweet but what has happened to writing and journalism? Is it the Twitter platform or are people getting stupid or not being properly educated?  I assume Chris Dunker works for LJS. "Shoot passed" instead of shoot past? It's unbelievable the proliferation of bad grammar and incorrect word usage. Sometimes the messenger can kill the message. 

Autocorrect and auto- complete are a bane on our society.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Autocorrect and auto- complete are a bane on our society.

I agree. The autocorrect and auto-fill on my phone is out of control. But I feel there is a difference between sending a text or making a comment on a message board as opposed to hitting submit on an official contribution, especially when it is done in the name of some news organization.

I realize technology has made us lazy and that's why I try to not get too anal about it on HB but I'm not going to cut the Lincoln Journal Star or any other "news organization" any slack. I spend plenty of time fixing my unimportant posts, the least they can do is to try much harder to appear to be professional.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree. The autocorrect and auto-fill on my phone is out of control. But I feel there is a difference between sending a text or making a comment on a message board as opposed to hitting submit on an official contribution, especially when it is done in the name of some news organization.

I realize technology has made us lazy and that's why I try to not get too anal about it on HB but I'm not going to cut the Lincoln Journal Star or any other "news organization" any slack. I spend plenty of time fixing my unimportant posts, the least they can do is to try much harder to appear to be professional.

I hear ya... It bugs me too. I blame my English teacher in 6th grade for making me care. She pointed out how bad the media is in regards to grammar. The one that really grinds my gears is when they say "yeah" on the news. You're not in highschool, be professional. Say; yes, that's right, that's true, you're right, etc. Not "Yeah, Rod".

But I can't count how many times I've sent emails to somebody at work that I proofread, only to realize there is a glaring grammatical error in there.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I see this everywhere, I've seen mistakes on espn.com and cnn.com, probably on nytimes.com as well. One mistake I see all the time (but there isn't an excuse for a journalist) is using "lead" for the past tense of lead. It's led, people.

I don't know if the cause of this is that there aren't as many smart people getting journalism degrees or they're cutting costs and hiring people who will work for less $. Or if those damn millennials just suck at the grammers. I'd imagine auto correct probably has led to fewer people being good at grammar. It's not only gonna 'cause things like this to happen (passed is a word), but also people aren't going to remember what they did wrong if they can just search for the red lines.

22 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Generally speaking, I agree - journalists should apply the same level of proofreading to their tweets that they do any other level of official reporting. But, most industry research I've seen suggests that grammatical errors on social media are more acceptable (particularly to a younger audience) so long as the issue doesn't drastically alter the intended meaning of the tweet.

I don't really think that makes it excusable, but I think the general feeling about it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (whether that's a bad thing or not.) Standards are lower on social media given the sheer amount of content and the speed in which it's shared.

Keep in mind too that any sort of officially published article (either online or in a printed publication) usually goes through an editorial team. Twitter is just the journalist, and I've worked with a fair few of them over the years who I'm still amazed they made it as far as they did given their poor grammar (for the record, that's not an intended slight against Dunker - I'm largely unfamiliar with his work, although I know the name).

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a little misleading and makes it sound more negative. 

They haven’t proven there is immunity. That’s a lot different than no evidence.

I also have issues with using the word relapse. There’s no indication in the article that these people are sick again; only that they have tested positive again. 

Both of these things are still good reason to not reopen things, which is the main point, I just don’t like the doom and gloom way the tweet is putting it. 

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This doesn't really mean that the number of COVID deaths is under counted. The excess deaths could easily be a combination of "normal" fatalities and COVID. With hospital systems strained people could be dying because they can no longer receive the same level of care. They could also be more reluctant to go to the hospital and get a diagnosis that could save them.

• Plus1 1