Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No way u get herd immunity under shut down / self quarantine as status quo.    If there is herd immunity possible with this virus (by way of mass infection & recovery plus a vaccine for at high risk (age 50 plus other health probs) , there could be schools reopening or big time sports perhaps.  
the shut downs prevent this.  

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I agree,  but I am saying that's the only hope fir football. I share @Hilltop's hope for football but I doubt it.

The thing is, herd immunity has not been shown to establish with this type of Covid; repeat cases are starting to show up in both China and Korea from people who have recovered. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The thing is, herd immunity has not been shown to establish with this type of Covid; repeat cases are starting to show up in both China and Korea from people who have recovered. 

Doctors in South Korea are trying to figure out if these cases (222 of them as of today) should be classified as reinfection or reactivation.  Seems like they think it is more likely to be reactivation of the virus because the symptoms went away, but the virus did not.  I'm wondering if this is something like mono, where the virus remains in your system....OR, if the people being touted as "recovered" were prematurely diagnosed as such.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, rocketlb said:

Doctors in South Korea are trying to figure out if these cases (222 of them as of today) should be classified as reinfection or reactivation.  Seems like they think it is more likely to be reactivation of the virus because the symptoms went away, but the virus did not.  I'm wondering if this is something like mono, where the virus remains in your system....OR, if the people being touted as "recovered" were prematurely diagnosed as such.

Sidebar: mono is a b!^@h and a half, but it's the best weight loss program I've ever been on. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

well if there is no immunity from

revovery - how did anyone survive?

They are using hydro chloroquine en masse now in cocktails with

a variety of other things with success when used early in right dosages.  But no vaccine apparently near ready.  therefore we need to open up ASAP now - this summer - to get ahead of the fall resurgence combined with

flu etc.  

if we cant stop it, then we need to survive as best we can economically / socially or entire world is doomed.  Social

collapse will lead to anarchy, riots, revolution and civil wars etc.  

Most survive this flu without any

medical intervention now.  

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

well if there is no immunity from

revovery - how did anyone survive?

How can someone get over a cold, then catch another one two weeks later? 

They are using hydro chloroquine en masse now in cocktails with

a variety of other things with success when used early in right dosages.  

The jury is still very, very much out on whether or not hydroxychloroquine is a successful treatment option for Covid-19, particularly when it comes to side effects that affect the heart. 

therefore we need to open up ASAP now - this summer - to get ahead of the fall resurgence combined with

flu etc.  

If we open the country back up right now, you'll see a second, much more massive wave of infections, one that our medical infrastructure and hospitals are no where near ready to handle. 

if we cant stop it, then we need to survive as best we can economically / socially

Completely agree, which is why the government needs to approve a monthly stipend for individuals and families, as well as ramping up support for small business and entrepreneurs and production of medical supplies that are in dire need. 

Most survive this flu without any

medical intervention now.  

Covid-19 still has a much higher infection rate and death rate than the common flu. You see countries like South Korea and New Zealand have demolished their curves because they took the necessary steps to limit exposure and give the infected proper treatment. If states begin to soften social distancing too early, a second or even third wave will absolutely crush this country. This is why that, if I were a betting man, I would certainly bet that college football (and all sports) won't take place this fall, at least not in the way that we are accustomed to. 

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

How can someone get over a cold, then catch another one two weeks later? 

The jury is still very, very much out on whether or not hydroxychloroquine is a successful treatment option for Covid-19, particularly when it comes to side effects that affect the heart. 

If we open the country back up right now, you'll see a second, much more massive wave of infections, one that our medical infrastructure and hospitals are no where near ready to handle. 

Completely agree, which is why the government needs to approve a monthly stipend for individuals and families, as well as ramping up support for small business and entrepreneurs and production of medical supplies that are in dire need. 

Covid-19 still has a much higher infection rate and death rate than the common flu. You see countries like South Korea and New Zealand have demolished their curves because they took the necessary steps to limit exposure and give the infected proper treatment. If states begin to soften social distancing too early, a second or even third wave will absolutely crush this country. This is why that, if I were a betting man, I would certainly bet that college football (and all sports) won't take place this fall, at least not in the way that we are accustomed to. 

California is saying their mortality rate is around .03% New York one of the hardest hit states says their mortality rate is .5% I dont know what that compares to with the flu or common cold but I think too many ppl are making too rash decisions too early with this thing. Let’s wait till June maybe July then decide where to go from there. 300 ppl died from the Flu last year here in Nebraska we are no where near that and won’t even come close to that so how can this be any different then the flu? I know this is highly contagious and hit this country hard especially the elderly population. 99% of the ppl who get it are a systematic and don’t show any of the signs. Most if not all people will get it at some point before we get a vaccine. Might as well open this country up and focus all our resources to protect the most vulnerable populations. Let people get back to work and we can build Hurd immunity 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

300 ppl died from the Flu last year here in Nebraska we are no where near that and won’t even come close to that so how can this be any different then the flu? 

Please, for the love of God, stop comparing mortality rates between the flu and Covid-19. 

1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

California is saying their mortality rate is around .03% New York one of the hardest hit states says their mortality rate is .5% I dont know what that compares to with the flu or common cold but I think too many ppl are making too rash decisions too early with this thing. Let’s wait till June maybe July then decide where to go from there. 300 ppl died from the Flu last year here in Nebraska we are no where near that and won’t even come close to that so how can this be any different then the flu? I know this is highly contagious and hit this country hard especially the elderly population. 99% of the ppl who get it are a systematic and don’t show any of the signs. Most if not all people will get it at some point before we get a vaccine. Might as well open this country up and focus all our resources to protect the most vulnerable populations. Let people get back to work and we can build Hurd immunity 

As has been stated before, that might not be a thing with Covid 19. Give these a read: 

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html

https://time.com/5825386/herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19/

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

If we go any further down the line with this, it really needs to take place in P&R. I'll stop detouring the thread now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Roger-Ballen-Dresie-and-Casie-Twins-West

Two men in Georgia drank disinfectants in efforts to prevent COVID-19, officials say
BY ARIS FOLLEY - 04/28/20 03:48 PM EDT    LINK

===============================================================  

Okay, okay.  That's not the photo in the article.  But it sure could be!  lol 

18 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

California is saying their mortality rate is around .03% New York one of the hardest hit states says their mortality rate is .5%

Ignoring what I assume is decimal errors, California is over 4% and New York is 5.978%. Thats also confirmed cases vs deaths not resolved vs deaths. Its also completely ignoring the deaths which will not be accounted for in which the ER is full and anyone has another type of illness or accident can't get proper care. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Ignoring what I assume is decimal errors, California is over 4% and New York is 5.978%. Thats also confirmed cases vs deaths not resolved vs deaths. Its also completely ignoring the deaths which will not be accounted for in which the ER is full and anyone has another type of illness or accident can't get proper care. 

There is no decimal error.  .5% is 5 people out of every 1000.  The actual rate will be lower than this if/when they can get accurate numbers of all the people who have had this that never were tested.  This sickness sucks... It's really bad.  But it's not killing 1 in 20 that gets it.  

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

False, your percentages would indicate complete catastrophic levels.  Bump your decimal to the left 2 spaces and we can have a more rational conversation from there. .

• Plus1 6
3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

False, your percentages would indicate complete catastrophic levels.  Bump your decimal to the left 2 spaces and we can have a more rational conversation from there. .

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

There is no decimal error.  .5% is 5 people out of every 1000.  The actual rate will be lower than this if/when they can get accurate numbers of all the people who have had this that never were tested.  This sickness sucks... It's really bad.  But it's not killing 1 in 20 that gets it.  

Mortality rate of people who get the virus. Why would you do mortality rate of the entire population?

Oops just reread what you wrote. You are not using different numbers. Just off on math. 

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx

1809 deaths / 45031 cases = .04 = 4%

.04% would be .0004