Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My company told everyone to work from home for the next 4 weeks.

Makes me wonder about retail and service industries and blue collar jobs where working at home is not an option... Poor children who will be out of school and have no access to regular meals... healthcare workers... supply chain disruptions...

This is impacting absolutely everything.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

This guy was on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and then quarantined in Omaha.   

Didn't watch the video, but if one of the symptoms of the virus is wearing a Michigan shirt, this is worse than I thought. The living will envy the dead.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Didn't watch the video, but if one of the symptoms of the virus is wearing a Michigan shirt, this is worse than I thought. The living will envy the dead.

Ha ha!  Yeah.  

This guy's symptoms were not bad at all.  He said he ran a 103 fever, and had a dry cough.  But that's about it.  I'm guessing it's much worse for more elderly, frail people whose immune system can't fight it off.   

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

It’s a fair question and could very well happen. What transpires in the next couple of months will be very important. I mentioned the sellout streak possibly at risk in another thread last week and was basically ridiculed by a couple posters.  

Strange how much this podcast by a stand-up comic with an actual expert on infectious diseases made me change my mind on the seriousness of this ''beer flu''...Doubt I'd ever trust mainstream media this much..

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Strange how much this podcast by a stand-up comic with an actual expert on infectious diseases made me change my mind on the seriousness of this ''beer flu''...Doubt I'd ever trust mainstream media this much..

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Can you give a TLDR cause Joe Rogan gives me migraines.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

The sick and the elderly; those are the ones who should be concerned; not healthy, young people. Talk about mass hysteria.

The issue is the rate of spread and the capacity of the healthcare system. Roughly 20% of people with covid-19 require in-patient medical treatment (usually respirator of some type); as the number of infected people goes up, the number of available resources goes down. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, then the number of fatalities from ALL health issues will go up. 

• Plus1 7

What Does the Coronavirus Do to the Body?

The virus is spread through droplets transmitted into the air from coughing or sneezing, which people nearby can take in through their nose, mouth or eyes. The viral particles in these droplets travel quickly to the back of your nasal passages and to the mucous membranes in the back of your throat, attaching to a particular receptor in cells, beginning there.

Coronavirus particles have spiked proteins sticking out from their surfaces, and these spikes hook onto cell membranes, allowing the virus’s genetic material to enter the human cell.

As copies of the virus multiply, they burst out and infect neighboring cells. The symptoms often start in the back of the throat with a sore throat and a dry cough.

The virus then “crawls progressively down the bronchial tubes,” Dr. Schaffner said. When the virus reaches the lungs, their mucous membranes become inflamed. That can damage the alveoli or lung sacs and they have to work harder to carry out their function of supplying oxygen to the blood that circulates throughout our body and removing carbon dioxide from the blood so that it can be exhaled.

Are the lungs the only part of the body affected?
Not necessarily. Dr. Compton-Phillips said the infection can spread through the mucous membranes, from the nose down to the rectum.

They go on to talk about how it can affect the gastrointestinal system and even get into the bloodstream. Organs like your liver can become inflamed and how your body can cause damage to itself by trying to fight the virus. 

What do scientists still not know about coronavirus patients?

A lot. Although the illness resembles SARS in many respects and has elements in common with influenza and pneumonia, the course a patient’s coronavirus will take is not yet fully understood.

Some patients can remain stable for over a week and then suddenly develop pneumonia, Dr. Diaz said. Some patients seem to recover but then develop symptoms again.

Dr. Xiao said that some patients in China recovered but got sick again, apparently because they had damaged and vulnerable lung tissue that was subsequently attacked by bacteria in their body. Some of those patients ended up dying from a bacterial infection, not the virus. But that didn’t appear to cause the majority of deaths, he said.

Other cases have been tragic mysteries. Dr. Xiao said he personally knew a man and woman who got infected, but seemed to be improving. Then the man deteriorated and was hospitalized.

“He was in I.C.U., getting oxygen, and he texted his wife that he was getting better, he had good appetite and so on,” Dr. Xiao said. “But then in the late afternoon, she stopped receiving texts from him. She didn’t know what was going on. And by 10 p.m., she got a notice from the hospital that he had passed.”

• Thanks 3

This article has a ton of data and charts along with some major takeaways. It's intended for politicians and community leaders, but I think gives a good account of what to expect and what to do:

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
The coronavirus is coming to you.
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This article has a ton of data and charts along with some major takeaways. It's intended for politicians and community leaders, but I think gives a good account of what to expect and what to do:

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
The coronavirus is coming to you.
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

Wow, if that's the case I'm going to go get infected right now before our medical systems get swamped with those other losers.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1