Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think this is anything more than a "well, we might as well see what happens" move.  It makes sense in the fact that it is better to do it NOW...get some results...and then make a final plan about the start of the school year.  

I think a lot of schools are going to try and open with masks/distancing (won't work at all) and some will do optional masks...and they are going to see that by the middle of September they need to close up again.  I think Iowa is trying to get out in front of it.

If they do this...Iowa will be test case that all other states look at it for information.  

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This does not look good. We tried to ignore the virus and, and now all the isolating we did the past few months appears to have been wasted.

Yeah, schools are not going to open and if they do, they will shut down fast.  Get ready for another shutdown of biznass too.

But we will get more stimulus checks!

• Plus1 1

We host a baseball player every summer for a college summer league team. We picked up our summer son yesterday and were informed the team was Covid tested and out of 20 kids, three tested positive and were asymptomatic. Scary how easily that could have been brought into the hosts homes. 

36 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

We host a baseball player every summer for a college summer league team. We picked up our summer son yesterday and were informed the team was Covid tested and out of 20 kids, three tested positive and were asymptomatic. Scary how easily that could have been brought into the hosts homes. 

I understand how you reached the conclusion in your last sentence, but alternatively another conclusion might be that this anecdote could mean that way more people have gotten it and not shown symptoms (or had it and have antibodies), thus drastically decreasing the perceived severity of the illness.

Know what I mean?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

I understand how you reached the conclusion in your last sentence, but alternatively another conclusion might be that this anecdote could mean that way more people have gotten it and not shown symptoms (or had it and have antibodies), thus drastically decreasing the perceived severity of the illness.

Know what I mean?

with 126,000 dead and counting....i think this might just be a bit serious.  you know what i mean?

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, commando said:

with 126,000 dead and counting....i think this might just be a bit serious.  you know what i mean?

Indeed I do. And you were unsuccessful with your insinuation that I didn't think it was serious - nowhere did I say that in what you quoted.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Indeed I do. And you were unsuccessful with your insinuation that I didn't think it was serious - nowhere did I say that in what you quoted.

you were attempting to minimize the threat.  

another conclusion might be that this anecdote could mean that way more people have gotten it and not shown symptoms (or had it and have antibodies), thus drastically decreasing the perceived severity of the illness.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, commando said:

you were attempting to minimize the threat.  

another conclusion might be that this anecdote could mean that way more people have gotten it and not shown symptoms (or had it and have antibodies), thus drastically decreasing the perceived severity of the illness.

I wasn't attempting to minimize the threat in the context of having some kind of overt agenda. I really am just taking in data and trying to understand how to respond correctly.

Not every conversation has to play out as some kind of "there are only two sides" argument (like typically occurs in the P&R conversations, for example).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Know what I mean?

it wasn’t an antibodies test. It was the rapid result Covid test.  Had they not had the test, they would have proceeded to the homes of their assigned host families. When they tested positive, they were sent home and can return when they test negative twice. 

Interesting find by a Redditor. Would be curious to know if such "pneumonia" death spikes have happened in any other states.

Death rates are down in many states. Here's some clues as to why that may be.

• Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
  • Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
  • Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
  • Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
  • Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
  • West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)

Data was sourced from here & here.

Bear in mind that these five-year averages are for the entire year, while the "pneumonia" deaths are for just the first six months of 2020.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I wasn't attempting to minimize the threat in the context of having some kind of overt agenda. I really am just taking in data and trying to understand how to respond correctly.

Not every conversation has to play out as some kind of "there are only two sides" argument (like typically occurs in the P&R conversations, for example).

No kidding.

If you down play it at all...you are an evil Trump supporter that hates science.

If you fear it...you are a huge sissy that loves Biden.

This has almost become so stupid that you have to talk about it in hushed tones depending on who you are around.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Undone said:

Know what I mean?

CDC now saying that those infected might be 10 times what has been confirmed.