Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

I would agree.  I also think she's being a bit overly dramatic.  I get what she's saying but there is absolutely no way most schools, if any, would succeed in running a first grade classroom like that.

Those elementary teachers are insane.  They over plan so much, which I think makes sense in the classroom but not for online.  

In the building you are doing things like quiet time, free reading time, lining up to all get a drink and use the restroom (which kills about 20 minutes) online you are not doing that, so they just keep filling up the online time with more s#!t.  

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Those elementary teachers are insane.  They over plan so much, which I think makes sense in the classroom but not for online.  

In the building you are doing things like quiet time, free reading time, lining up to all get a drink and use the restroom (which kills about 20 minutes) online you are not doing that, so they just keep filling up the online time with more s#!t.  

I'm not even sure it makes that much sense in the classroom.  I know they're trying to always have something for the kids to do and keep them busy but it's hard to have that much control over kids that young.  I'm sure it's a struggle to fill a day online.

3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I'm not even sure it makes that much sense in the classroom.  I know they're trying to always have something for the kids to do and keep them busy but it's hard to have that much control over kids that young.  I'm sure it's a struggle to fill a day online.

Probably one thing to remember is that it makes more sense to overplan (when you are in the building) then underplan for that age.  

I teach HS, it is really easy for me to say "Okay, you have 15 minutes left, work on anything you need to work on" and for the most part, ear buds go in and they are quiet and do stuff...

Now...try that with 7 year olds.  No chance.  Now put that online...and it is a disaster.  I saw some lesson plans for kindergarten classes being done online...it was crazy.  

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Probably one thing to remember is that it makes more sense to overplan (when you are in the building) then underplan for that age.  

I teach HS, it is really easy for me to say "Okay, you have 15 minutes left, work on anything you need to work on" and for the most part, ear buds go in and they are quiet and do stuff...

Now...try that with 7 year olds.  No chance.  Now put that online...and it is a disaster.  I saw some lesson plans for kindergarten classes being done online...it was crazy.  

To be clear, I think teachers should prepare for periods of online school. It's certainly not ideal and there will be tons of issues, but there are going to be places that need to shelter in place for weeks at a time.

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yea that makes a lot of sense

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

To be clear, I think teachers should prepare for periods of online school. It's certainly not ideal and there will be tons of issues, but there are going to be places that need to shelter in place for weeks at a time.

Several school districts in NC I think are mandating 5 days of at home virtual or remote instruction built into their mandated days. This will be for every year going forward. Kind of like a new age fire drill I guess. 

On the topic of teachers, saw an interesting thought of teachers quitting and doing homeschooling for $250/week per student and have a hypothetical class size of roughly 10.  Class size goes down drastically and income goes up to 6 figures.  I wonder if this continues if that starts to happen.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

On the topic of teachers, saw an interesting thought of teachers quitting and doing homeschooling for $250/week per student and have a hypothetical class size of roughly 10.  Class size goes down drastically and income goes up to 6 figures.  I wonder if this continues if that starts to happen.

How many families can afford $250/week? That's about 40*$250 = $10,000 per year per child. If that happens, we're basically back to feudalism with the wealth to pay for private teachers the clear dividing line between the aristocracy and the rest of us.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How many families can afford $250/week? That's about 40*$250 = $10,000 per year per child. If that happens, we're basically back to feudalism with the wealth to pay for private teachers the clear dividing line between the aristocracy and the rest of us.

Right.  I would basically equate it to private school, personally

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

A little more on herd immunity as a response to C19.

What Reeves is doing is what we all should be doing -- pushing back against the wild theories of how the coronavirus is either overblown or not that bad with cold, hard facts.

The idea that we can all somehow develop herd immunity without drastically overtaxing the hospital system is a fantasy. Even if you assume -- as proponents of the herd immunity idea do -- that many more of us have had coronavirus (and not even known it) than testing shows, you are still talking about a number of cases requiring hospitalizations that would overwhelm the system in virtually every state.

Rather than looking for some magic bullet to get us through this pandemic, what we should do is exactly what Reeves recommends: Wear a mask when in public! Because, unlike crackpot theories around herd immunity, the scientific community has concluded that masks help mitigate the spread of the virus.

"We are not defenseless against COVID-19," said CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield on Tuesday. "Cloth face coverings are one of the most powerful weapons we have to slow and stop the spread of the virus -- particularly when used universally within a community setting. All Americans have a responsibility to protect themselves, their families, and their communities."

• Thanks 1

Finally! I know someone with it. Lost his job in May due to the shutdown and with it his health insurance. Got tested at one of those city test sites where he was handed a swab and a sheet of instructions and directed to swab himself. Said it wasn’t hard, but seems odd to me. Maybe it’s not odd but still weird. 

8 hours ago, RedSavage said:

My god...where did you see this!!!  PLEASE TELL ME

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I mean...that is daycare rates, isn't it?  or close to it?