Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

COVID-19 reduced U.S. life expectancy

The COVID-19 pandemic, which claimed more than 336,000 lives in the United States in 2020, has significantly affected life expectancy, USC and Princeton researchers have found.

The researchers project that, due to the pandemic deaths last year, life expectancy at birth for Americans will shorten by 1.13 years to 77.48 years, according to their study published Thursday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

That is the largest single-year decline in life expectancy in at least 40 years and is the lowest life expectancy estimated since 2003.

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

COVID-19 reduced U.S. life expectancy

The COVID-19 pandemic, which claimed more than 336,000 lives in the United States in 2020, has significantly affected life expectancy, USC and Princeton researchers have found.

The researchers project that, due to the pandemic deaths last year, life expectancy at birth for Americans will shorten by 1.13 years to 77.48 years, according to their study published Thursday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

That is the largest single-year decline in life expectancy in at least 40 years and is the lowest life expectancy estimated since 2003.

I assume this is tied to the fact that COVID deaths of folks over age 65 account for 267k of the 330k deaths in the US? Therefore, the life expectancy curve has been lowered since so many in that age group died?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I assume this is tied to the fact that COVID deaths of folks over age 65 account for 267k of the 330k deaths in the US? Therefore, the life expectancy curve has been lowered since so many in that age group died?

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If covid had killed more younger people, life expectancy would have gone down even more.

30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If covid had killed more younger people, life expectancy would have gone down even more.

When an inordinate number of folks over 65 die, it only computes that the top number would be reduced. Help me understand your point that if it were younger folks, it would drop more? Less to reach the top number?

16 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

When an inordinate number of folks over 65 die, it only computes that the top number would be reduced. Help me understand your point that if it were younger folks, it would drop more? Less to reach the top number?

It's just the math of how life expectancy is calculated. Expected value is simply an average for empirical data, so think of how the average gets affected:

If the age of death drops by 5-10 years (older people dying early from covid), then the average drops by a little. Think of how the average is affected if someone who would have lived to 80 dies at 75.

If the age of death drops by 50-60 years (younger people dying early from covid), then the average drops by a lot more. Think of how the average is affected if someone who would have lived to 80 dies at 35.

39 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

It's a simple average.

More people dying at a young age puts more in the death column at that age. Average (and life expectancy) go down.

More people dying at an older age puts more in the column at that age. Average goes up.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It's just the math of how life expectancy is calculated. Expected value is simply an average for empirical data, so think of how the average gets affected:

If the age of death drops by 5-10 years (older people dying early from covid), then the average drops by a little. Think of how the average is affected if someone who would have lived to 80 dies at 75.

If the age of death drops by 50-60 years (younger people dying early from covid), then the average drops by a lot more. Think of how the average is affected if someone who would have lived to 80 dies at 35.

I wasn't seeing it that way. I appreciate your view, thanks.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's a simple average.

More people dying at a young age puts more in the death column at that age. Average (and life expectancy) go down.

More people dying at an older age puts more in the column at that age. Average goes up.

Thanks as well.

• Plus1 2