Jump to content

How to post Gif?


Recommended Posts

Can someone help out an old dog who hasn't been to the board in quite awhile since it it was updated.

How do you post gifs into a comment?

 

Used to I would either click and drag OR would copy the gif's image and just paste it. Now when I try that the gif just stays as an image, but doesn't play.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if this was not the correct area of the board to post this type of question.

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

:facepalm: Nevermind. I figured it out. I hate getting old and forgetting things.

 

To others in the future who have the same question...

  • Use the "Insert other media" in the bottom right corner of the message box.
  • Copy your gif's Image Address
  • Paste this address using "Insert image from URL"
  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Usually you can just paste a direct link to the image file into the comment box, and it should automatically show the image.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone help me out here? Lately I’ve been having trouble posting gifs. I’ve been copying the URL and pasting it in the “insert image from URL” box but most of them just turn pink/red in the box and won’t post. Is this a copyright deal or did I just forget how to do it right? It seems most of problem links have a https prefix. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Can anyone help me out here? Lately I’ve been having trouble posting gifs. I’ve been copying the URL and pasting it in the “insert image from URL” box but most of them just turn pink/red in the box and won’t post. Is this a copyright deal or did I just forget how to do it right? It seems most of problem links have a https prefix. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

 

That seems like a lot of steps. I always just right click on the gif and copy it, then paste directly into the post. 

Share this post


Link to post

Most sources don't want you to link directly to their gif, or "hotlink" as they said back in the day. 

 

Places that host gifs also don't want you to take their gifs without including a link to their site as a method of advertisement. So copying the URL and pasting it into the posting box won't work. That's where an image host comes from. 

 

Google whatever gif you want to use, get the source URL, paste that into the image host, then past the BB code they give you to HuskerBoard.  It's an extra step but it works, and it stops your gif from being randomly deleted by the source, or from having your HB image cache fill up (which is a problem Roxy used to have).

 

Some good free image hosts:

 

Imgur
Flickr
ImgBox

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Can anyone help me out here? Lately I’ve been having trouble posting gifs. I’ve been copying the URL and pasting it in the “insert image from URL” box but most of them just turn pink/red in the box and won’t post. Is this a copyright deal or did I just forget how to do it right? It seems most of problem links have a https prefix. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

 

I usually just right-click on the image and choose "Copy image address" then paste that into a reply.  Works 98% of the time.

 

Probably not as easy to do on mobile.  But if you get the URL of the actual image, you should be able to just paste that.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Ulty said:

 

That seems like a lot of steps. I always just right click on the gif and copy it, then paste directly into the post. 

 

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

I usually just right-click on the image and choose "Copy image address" then paste that into a reply.  Works 98% of the time.

 

Probably not as easy to do on mobile.  But if you get the URL of the actual image, you should be able to just paste that.

 

Okay, I just did that and the gif posted as a pic, without animation or movement. And when I pasted the URL, it just posted a link. Look at Knapp's status update about the 1 year anniversary of HB sale.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

 

 

Okay, I just did that and the gif posted as a pic, without animation or movement. And when I pasted the URL, it just posted a link. Look at Knapp's status update about the 1 year anniversary of HB sale.

apologies to knapplc for the unnecessary post in his status update...but it works for me!

Confetti The Single Life GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on  GIPHY

 

the deep state is conspiring against you

Share this post


Link to post

No worries about that status.

 

JJ, you pasted a still image in that status.

 

Here's what you posted:

https://www.huskerboard.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/image.png.1e0cea62816ce2b1b2f0ee26f523be1d.png

 

Here's what Ulty posted:

 

https://media.giphy.com/media/zaDi0mXkYM3eg/giphy.mp4

 

Notice the image type at the end - Ulty's is an MP4 (masquerading as a gif - long story), and yours is a PNG. 

 

If you found that at Giphy, I'm not sure how it ended up as a PNG. Can you tell us where you copied it from, and how you copied it?

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No worries about that status.

 

JJ, you pasted a still image in that status.

 

Here's what you posted:


https://www.huskerboard.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/image.png.1e0cea62816ce2b1b2f0ee26f523be1d.png

 

Here's what Ulty posted:

 


https://media.giphy.com/media/zaDi0mXkYM3eg/giphy.mp4

 

Notice the image type at the end - Ulty's is an MP4 (masquerading as a gif - long story), and yours is a PNG. 

 

If you found that at Giphy, I'm not sure how it ended up as a PNG. Can you tell us where you copied it from, and how you copied it?

 

 

 

I got at giphy. I copied it by holding my finger on the image, waited for the options to popup and selected copy image. Then pasted it in the response box. It was an animated gif but it changed to a png. Guessing it must've in effect converted it to an image doing it that way.

 

That is why I usually try to capture the URL and place that link in the "insert image from url" box. But that method has increasingly worked less and less per my original description.

 

I'll keep messing with different methods and see if I can get back to posting more gifs. It's just weird that the way I used to do it doesn't seem to work but about 2% of the time now.

 

BTW, I setup an imgur account and stumbled around there with nothing to show for it. I might not be very tech savvy but it seemed very cumbersome and like a lot of extra effort.

Edited by JJ Husker

Share this post


Link to post

Giphy is especially wonky and I try not to pull gifs from them. They make it very difficult to get the source gif.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Giphy is especially wonky and I try not to pull gifs from them. They make it very difficult to get the source gif.

 

So much this. I think Giphy actually works better on my phone but you have to open the image in a new tab twice to get the right link for the gif 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Giphy is especially wonky and I try not to pull gifs from them. They make it very difficult to get the source gif.

 

46 minutes ago, GSG said:

 

So much this. I think Giphy actually works better on my phone but you have to open the image in a new tab twice to get the right link for the gif 

Yes, I have been having a difficult time getting to the source gifs. Beginning to think it may be my browser (Chrome) and/or devices (iPad and Google Pixel 2 phone). Awhile back I switched from Safari to Chrome on my iPad and that may be when my iPad issues began. And I think the latest updates on my Pixel have changed things up also.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...