Things in your lifetime that have been "global"

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

How about the space shuttle Challenger explosion? Were any of you young pups around for that one? IIRC that was pretty big world news.

Oh yeah!  

I was a little kid...but I remember the principal at my school coming on the intercom and saying that it blew up and that they didn't know if anyone was alive...then we said a prayer (and shockingly it was okay and there was no issues with that)

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

I remember watching OJ Simpson's trial verdict in class in 3rd grade but that's more USA than global. I was only 2 when the Challenger exploded.

What about when Michael Jackson died? That was pretty global

Dang...the OJ trial!  Imagine that today!  Imagine if that trial started tomorrow morning, my god...

53 minutes ago, GSG said:

I remember watching OJ Simpson's trial verdict in class in 3rd grade but that's more USA than global.

I don't know. I think Challenger is a good answer. I know it's mostly USA space program stuff, but stuff that happens in America affects the planet. When we sneeze, the entire world catches a cold.  That kind of thing.

That's why I said Obama getting elected. In America, it was just another election, with the weirdness that a Black man became President. But that had a HUGE impact across the world, that we're mostly inured to because most of us don't travel abroad.

This was probably my weekly reminder that WE were global:

And my own dad being a B-29 bomber pilot in the rotation for dropping the Atom Bomb in WWll Which he never mentioned to me. (which I guess technically was actually before my lifetime).

But JFK getting assassinated was my first memory @ 3 years old

10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This post has aged well. 

I still think it's an overreaction...it's a bad case of the flu. You don't fall over and die if you get it. Gobert was going to play an NBA basketball game last night before testing positive. Fred Hoiberg couldn't even coach a game with influenza A. 

• Thanks 1