Things in your lifetime that have been "global"

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I still think it's an overreaction...it's a bad case of the flu. You don't fall over and die if you get it. Gobert was going to play an NBA basketball game last night before testing positive. Fred Hoiberg couldn't even coach a game with influenza A. 

It's not, though: we have very little information on how the virus reacts, and we have two examples of what to do vs. what not to do in South Korea and Italy. The goal is to prevent our healthcare system from being massively overrun, and to give them time to develop a treatment and eventually a vaccine. You do that by "flattening the bell curve", and the best way to do that is by limiting these massive social interactions. I recommend giving this a read: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I still think it's an overreaction...it's a bad case of the flu. You don't fall over and die if you get it. Gobert was going to play an NBA basketball game last night before testing positive. Fred Hoiberg couldn't even coach a game with influenza A. 

I suppose it's slightly understandable how some are failing to grasp the severity, I mean we don't have pandemics like this often. And the fact this one is much more focused on people over 60 years old. But with all the information that has been made made available these last week's,  to call it an "overreaction" and a "bad case of the flu" is......:facepalm:

Here's a very simple visual that may help you to begin to understand why it is necessary to limit and slow the spread.

n_hayes_curve_200309_1920x1080.focal-760

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I did not even think about that.  That is crazy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

My answers have to be:

The fall of the Berlin Wall.  

9/11

Both of those really affected a large part of the world.  Yes, 9/11 happened on our soil.  But, it then precipitated wars in the middle east and our allies being involved.

The Berlin Wall probably was the biggest game changing event of my lifetime.  

2007/2008 Stock Market recession

9/11 was a good answer earlier in the thread

One of my grade school teachers was a Desert Storm vet so that definitely stood out to me

Osama Bin Laden being killed

Rise of Netflix

Apple introducing the IPod and IPhone

How much computers have evolved in my lifetime.  I remember my family's first computer being a Commodore 64 and my cousin having an Apple 2E and being blown away.  Then the 286/386/486 computers came along (man I played a ton of Space Quest/Quest For Glory/Police Quest as a kid)