This guy (Coach Austin) gets it.

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I feel that he will be better at guard, but because someone isn't as bad as the other players doesn't make them a good player. I feel that has happened a lot with Nebraska lately. 

I should clarify, I'm not happy with that just because he'll be better at guard. He's almost playing out of position at tackle, guard is a better fit. He has actually been a decent tackle against most competition, much better than some fans want to give him credit for. He can be a great guard - it maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. 

It's kind of like Wan'Dale at RB or Taylor-Britt at safety. They can play those positions reasonably well, but they can be much better at WR and CB. Last year all of those guys played where they did for the reason you mentioned, nobody else was better. This year they can play where they fit best. And how good/bad they were playing certain positions because of need doesn't directly correlate with how good they can be playing where they fit. 

• Fire 1

I also liked what I heard.   T.O was always about execution.  Other teams would say we knew what was coming but couldn't stop it.   Under Mcbride sometimes they would say we tried to do too much so the next week they would simplify and execute allowing them to play much faster without thinking.   

One thing I would like them to do is to correct the mistakes on the practice field rather than in the film room.   I think film room correction works at a pro level but correcting mistakes real time works better at the college level.   This is a conclusion I reached during the Bill Callahan years.

So after listening to Coach Austin I am thinking

Gaylord battling Benhart at RT

Wilson battling Piper at RG

Jurgens battling Farniok at C

Farniok battling Hixon at LG

Jaimes battling Bando at LT

7 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I also liked what I heard.   T.O was always about execution.  Other teams would say we knew what was coming but couldn't stop it.   Under Mcbride sometimes they would say we tried to do too much so the next week they would simplify and execute allowing them to play much faster without thinking.   

One thing I would like them to do is to correct the mistakes on the practice field rather than in the film room.   I think film room correction works at a pro level but correcting mistakes real time works better at the college level.   This is a conclusion I reached during the Bill Callahan years.

So after listening to Coach Austin I am thinking

Gaylord battling Benhart at RT

Wilson battling Piper at RG

Jurgens battling Farniok at C

Farniok battling Hixon at LG

Jaimes battling Bando at LT

Jaimes actually mentioned Brant Banks as the guy (currently) behind him. So I'd guess it's more Wilson, Piper, Hixson, and Bando all fighting for both Guard spots. If Gaylord/Benhart look good enough then Farniok takes one and they're all fighting for the last spot, presumable RG. Although I don't know for sure that's where they would put Farniok, that's just where he played some on day one. Still sounds like he played Tackle as well.

Just now, melscott62 said:

Is that official? 

Farniok, Frost, and Austin have all confirmed he's working at Guard some. And Frost said as long as a young Tackle steps up that's his ideal place. So not technically official because if none of the other Tackles look good and the Guards take a step forward, he could stick out there. But they want it to happen.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Farniok, Frost, and Austin have all confirmed he's working at Guard some. And Frost said as long as a young Tackle steps up that's his ideal place. So not technically official because if none of the other Tackles look good and the Guards take a step forward, he could stick out there. But they want it to happen.

Good deal.  Thanks for the info

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Jaimes actually mentioned Brant Banks as the guy (currently) behind him. So I'd guess it's more Wilson, Piper, Hixson, and Bando all fighting for both Guard spots. If Gaylord/Benhart look good enough then Farniok takes one and they're all fighting for the last spot, presumable RG. Although I don't know for sure that's where they would put Farniok, that's just where he played some on day one. Still sounds like he played Tackle as well.

Did not hear Jaimes speak so thanks for that info!

21 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Like the concept.  Seems like a great idea for the passing game as well, more "Vertical" rather than "Horizontal" with all the "bubble" stuff.

That's all fine and good.  But, if our line wasn't being able to open up holes last year, the north south run game isn't going to work without some outside "bubble" stuff working.  Since the bubble stuff wasn't working, the inside run wasn't either.  Since the inside run wasn't working, it's easier to get pressure on the QB to blow up those down field passes.

This year, if our line is bigger, stronger, better...and our snaps are better so the timing is better....much more of all these options open up and work better.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's all fine and good.  But, if our line wasn't being able to open up holes last year, the north south run game isn't going to work without some outside "bubble" stuff working.  Since the bubble stuff wasn't working, the inside run wasn't either.  Since the inside run wasn't working, it's easier to get pressure on the QB to blow up those down field passes.

This year, if our line is bigger, stronger, better...and our snaps are better so the timing is better....much more of all these options open up and work better.

So what you're saying is that if our line gets better then our whole offense gets better, which means that our Qbs and Rbs get/look better as well? Well that just makes sense and we here on husker board would rather blame it all on the Qbs and how much better the back up always is no matter who the starter is!  Your level headedness and using of common sense is not welcome here!

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You didn't quote this part of my post ... You just said, "That's all find and good" ... then state the same idea of thought I had ... which you didn't quote, "Yet, in all that, we are back to the OL, which can't pass protect well enough for longer routes nor open up a whole for the vertical running.  Maybe that can happen in 2-3 years."

From what I read in your response back to mine, we are on the same page.  For me, I don't think we are "bigger, stronger, better" than our opponent for much to change.  We can do it in spurts but additionally, we can't sustain it and don't have enough pieces or development.  I think we need a couple more years of depth, experience and attitude adjustment.

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

From what I read in your response back to mine, we are on the same page.  For me, I don't think we are "bigger, stronger, better" than our opponent for much to change.  We can do it in spurts but additionally, we can't sustain it and don't have enough pieces or development.  I think we need a couple more years of depth, experience and attitude adjustment.

Yes, we are on the same page.  Other than, we don't know what our line is going to be like this year to be able to make the claim in bold.

• Fire 1
16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, we are on the same page.  Other than, we don't know what our line is going to be like this year to be able to make the claim in bold.

Agreed, but ya see, I think the other schools we play will be bigger, stronger and better.  We seem to think that we have a weight lifting and development program better than others.  If this is true, then it would begin to be seen this season. 

In my opinion, it won't.  We need 2-3 years of development yet plus the depth of the right players before we see if we are on the right track to beat an OSU, an OU or a Clemson Tiger.

We are improving [from what I'm told], but is it enough to get us out from behind the eight ball this season?  I don't think so.  It will be 6-6 or worse, perhaps 7-5, as I see it.

Blessings to you.

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Agreed, but ya see, I think the other schools we play will be bigger, stronger and better.  We seem to think that we have a weight lifting and development program better than others.  If this is true, then it would begin to be seen this season. 

In my opinion, it won't.  We need 2-3 years of development yet plus the depth of the right players before we see if we are on the right track to beat an OSU, an OU or a Clemson Tiger.

We are improving [from what I'm told], but is it enough to get us out from behind the eight ball this season?  I don't think so.  It will be 6-6 or worse, perhaps 7-5, as I see it.

Blessings to you.

To add, IF our S&C was in such shambles and other programs have been far and above better, this is not something that can be corrected in 1-2 classes.......How many kids are we relying on that have been in the program 1 year (RSf/Soph)?  I said before about Clemson, they are in the spot were their depth is now on the ROY bus........The schools you mentioned that are there as well.  IF our program is as bad as it "looks", the staff says etc....We are honestly looking at 2022 until we have a true grasp of where the program is IMHO.  

I agree with your 2020 results.  I thought 4-8/5-7, but reading stuff from Lubick and Austin have me thinking more 6-6/7-5.........Maybe the limited spring stuff will help NU to heal up some.......

It’s been said many times it takes 5 years to build a program. That’s getting your first recruits completely through counting their redshirt year. I’m willing to give Frost at least through his 5th year to truly see what he’s building. Our program has been in the crapper since MR so honestly what do we have to lose. We can all see that if nothing else Frost seems to be getting high caliber athletes and he is trying to build a culture of success. If he fails the next guy will be in better shape from the start then Frost was

• Plus1 2