Nebraska head coach Fred Hoiberg hospitalized, team potentially quarantined in Indianapolis

Smart thing to do...

Last night, before the game, Fred tells the announcers "Man, this is bad timing but I am not feeling well, luckily we have a great medical staff here on site and they checked me out and cleared me, I just have the flu.  I plan on coaching and finishing the game but you all know how the flu can be.  Would you please make mention of that on the broadcast so that there is less speculation, I would never want to do anything to harm my guys and the last thing I want is people to be freaking out.  I also already let Indiana know that I just have the flu and that I am cleared.  Thanks guys, I appreciate what you do"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Smart thing to do...

Last night, before the game, Fred tells the announcers "Man, this is bad timing but I am not feeling well, luckily we have a great medical staff here on site and they checked me out and cleared me, I just have the flu.  I plan on coaching and finishing the game but you all know how the flu can be.  Would you please make mention of that on the broadcast so that there is less speculation, I would never want to do anything to harm my guys and the last thing I want is people to be freaking out.  I also already let Indiana know that I just have the flu and that I am cleared.  Thanks guys, I appreciate what you do"

If only these people would consult HB before making stupid decisions!  +1  :lol:

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

There was a bunch of speculation and accusation from the media last night. Particularly from people who weren't there.

Such as? 

55 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And do not understand disease protocol.  The arena staff did what they were suppose to do.  As far as the media, its not a surprise either. 

You still haven't shown me examples of these wild rumors or not understanding protocol. I was watching twitter the whole time. Never saw any reporter say he had corona virus. Never saw anyone inaccurately report about his hospitalization or the team's temporary quarantine.  Never saw anything other than actual reports per sources and then a few personal thoughts.

4 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

So medical professionals tell Fred Hoiberg he is OK to do his job so he trusts them, like most people probably would. In so doing he is now labeled as grossly irresponsible with some people pondering whether he and/or Bill Moos should keep their jobs.  <_< ok.

I heard the Plethoravirus was running rampant in the media.  ;-)

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Such as? 

You still haven't shown me examples of these wild rumors or not understanding protocol. I was watching twitter the whole time. Never saw any reporter say he had corona virus. Never saw anyone inaccurately report about his hospitalization or the team's temporary quarantine.  Never saw anything other than actual reports per sources and then a few personal thoughts.

"Knowing the severity of what's going on, allowing him to coach tonight was incredibly reckless by everyone at Nebraska."  He does not the severity, but this starts the whole media circus last night.  

4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

"Knowing the severity of what's going on, allowing him to coach tonight was incredibly reckless by everyone at Nebraska."  He does not the severity, but this starts the whole media circus last night.  

Allowing him to coach, without informing the public and game officials that he was properly cleared by a doctor, was reckless. 

And even if he was cleared by a doctor, that doesn't mean much. They didn't test him for corona and get a negative conclusion in the hours before tip-off, they couldn't have. 

Also how is that a rumor? The severity of cornoavirus pandemic isn't a rumor. Hoiberg being sick and coaching wasn't a rumor. It being reckless is an opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.omaha.com/sports/fred-hoiberg-says-in-hindsight-he-should-not-have-coached-game-sick/article_bc86c14b-3527-5bff-a78b-9383a3c78194.html

In the lead-up to Nebraska’s final game of the season, which ended with Fred Hoiberg in the hospital, the coach wasn’t keeping up with the latest news.

“I wasn’t glued to CNN,” Hoiberg told “Sports Nightly” in his first interview since the season’s end. “I was trying to get my team prepared to go out and play and finish off the season the right way.”

“Had I known then what I know now, I definitely would not have gone out there and coached that game,” he said Thursday. "Because I did have some of the symptoms they do talk about now. But at the time, what I had heard about it was it was something that if you had tightness in your chest or you had trouble breathing, then those were the signs you might have coronavirus." 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/fred-hoiberg-says-in-hindsight-he-should-not-have-coached-game-sick/article_bc86c14b-3527-5bff-a78b-9383a3c78194.html

In the lead-up to Nebraska’s final game of the season, which ended with Fred Hoiberg in the hospital, the coach wasn’t keeping up with the latest news.

“I wasn’t glued to CNN,” Hoiberg told “Sports Nightly” in his first interview since the season’s end. “I was trying to get my team prepared to go out and play and finish off the season the right way.”

“Had I known then what I know now, I definitely would not have gone out there and coached that game,” he said Thursday. "Because I did have some of the symptoms they do talk about now. But at the time, what I had heard about it was it was something that if you had tightness in your chest or you had trouble breathing, then those were the signs you might have coronavirus." 

Could Nebrasketball cause Covid-19??    I feel that way every time I watch a game.  

• Haha 1