Cam Mack

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know none of us can fully understand what is happening in a kid's life.  But, to me this is a prime example of :bang with the constant transfers in college basketball.

Here is a kid that has a dream of going to the NBA.  He's a really good player. He probably has the raw talent to get there some day.  He obviously tried to go to the NBA this year and it's not goin to work out.  

So...his only option is to transfer and probably sit out a year.  He basically delayed fulfilling his NBA dream by at least a year. The only way he didn't is if he gets a waiver from the NCAA which, who knows what criteria they use for making up their minds.  

He could have stayed in a program and develop with the players around him and played another year in a very competitive league to showcase his talents.

Everything you mention is true except last sentence - now with different behavior the last sentence could be possible. When I heard that the three sit out players hadcbeat the starters upibdidnt know that it was with 2 walk ons and it happened regularly by many points - so guessing cam macks attitude was taking into  effect who would be the starting 5 next year....

1.  They always say the guys on the bench are beating the starters (I do think there is some truth to it but Cam would have been the starter still)

2.  He will probably get a waiver, I think they are going to give it to everyone (just a guess)

3.  He would be a perfect fit at NMSU and that conference.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Everything you mention is true except last sentence - now with different behavior the last sentence could be possible. When I heard that the three sit out players hadcbeat the starters upibdidnt know that it was with 2 walk ons and it happened regularly by many points - so guessing cam macks attitude was taking into  effect who would be the starting 5 next year....

Why is the last sentence wrong?  I think would still have been the starting point guard. Put that better talent around him and he has a much better chance to show really what he can do. 

Does he think that list of teams interested in him have better talent?  Are they going to play against better talent?  If he’s not willing to compete for the starting job at his second school, dies he think the NBA is going to be more impressed at his  third?  How about a forth?  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why is the last sentence wrong?  I think would still have been the starting point guard. Put that better talent around him and he has a much better chance to show really what he can do. 

Does he think that list of teams interested in him have better talent?  Are they going to play against better talent?  If he’s not willing to compete for the starting job at his second school, dies he think the NBA is going to be more impressed at his  third?  How about a forth?  

It will technically be his fifth school.  Went to Stephen F Austin out of HS, transferred to a juco in Kansas (I forget which one) for about a minute, went to Salt Lake CC and then Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

Hoiberg will not make the Malik Henry mistake where you let the guy back at the last hour to win. Culture is too important for one singular player, unless they are NBA talent in which they are gone after a year anyway. Cam is a great player and teammate when he wants to be. But it needs to be all the time if he wants to succeed. Hoiberg is instead filling his roster with people who fit the culture.

Cam had all world talent and this offense allowed him to be a beast. He needs to find the right system because he is an elite passer, the best I have seen at Nebraska in some time. 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:42 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I think CM was let go - he made decisions that werent team first.  The talent level this year will be much higher then last.  Some kids work harder when a challenge is presented - some fold. 

Just now, GBRFAN said:

I think CM was let go - he made decisions that werent team first.  The talent level this year will be much higher then last.  Some kids work harder when a challenge is presented - some fold. 

I understand that.  When I'm frustrated about transfers, I'm also talking about someone like this that COULD be a great contributor to the team, but leaves or is pushed out because of a bad attitude.  

Many times a bad attitude is because the person doesn't see them in a certain place long term.  You see that in employees all the time.  If someone is on their way out the door or don't plan on being on the job very long, their attitude isn't the same as someone who plans on making it a long term job.  I think that's Cam's problem.  He gets frustrated about something, the coach disiplines him and his first reaction is to say.."F this....I'm out here to someplace else" instead of correcting his actions and working hard.

The NBA isn't going to stand for that either.

• 3 months later...

• Mavric changed the title to Cam Mack Declares for the Draft - Transfers to Prairie View A&M
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Well I don’t that’s gonna help his NBA aspirations

To be honest, it won't matter. If his attitude and discipline don't improve he has no chance. 

He's incredibly talented, lots of players, especially point guards, have come from small schools (Weber State anyone?!). But Cam not only needs to change his mental approach, he also needs to improve his ability to play off the ball and efficiency. Heck of a playmaker with the ball in his hands though

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...