Recruiting Observations: What Do You See?

I'm curious about this observation ...

From an article I read, we seem to have over 400 offers out [closer to 450 I think].  A team like Clemson will have around 150 or so.  The better teams usually have around 150-200.

I find it fascinating how we can seem to have the most ... yet it is my observation that we don't offer many of the top recruits.  Is that true?

It would be an interesting research project to see how many of the top recruits at each position we actually offer.

This thread isn't a complaint about that.  It simply makes me curious.  Perhaps others have some thoughts or insights that might lead to a good discussion.

247 keeps a pretty comprehensive list of offers for each school.  You can see who has been offered as well as their overall national ranking, position ranking and state ranking.

Anecdotally, we've offered the #4 pro-style QB in the country as well as the #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #9 dual-threat QBs.  We've offered three of the top 5 all-purpose backs as well as the top 6 running backs overall.  Eight of the top 10 WRs.  Other positions are similar. 

So I don't think it's accurate to say we aren't offering the top guys.  Getting interest from them is still a work in progress.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

247 keeps a pretty comprehensive list of offers for each school.  You can see who has been offered as well as their overall national ranking, position ranking and state ranking.

Anecdotally, we've offered the #4 pro-style QB in the country as well as the #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #9 dual-threat QBs.  We've offered three of the top 5 all-purpose backs as well as the top 6 running backs overall.  Eight of the top 10 WRs.  Other positions are similar. 

So I don't think it's accurate to say we aren't offering the top guys.  Getting interest from them is still a work in progress.

Is this really new ?   I imagine we have offered most of the highly rated players for many years regardless of coaches.  Maybe Riley aimed at pro style QBs more but its more a matter of making all out efforts to lure them to campus.  Hopefully Frost can sell DONU to lots more of the better ones - he seems to be doing better than Bo and Riley so far.  He needs some success in games now to show guys what can happen if they choose to sign Red.  

If the 2020 season happens we will know lots more by Oct 1.  If its 2021, then these young guys will be lots older physically effectively redshirting the whole team.  This could be advantageous and let us gain ground on programs more well established that reload instead of rebuild!   Got to find a silver lining somewhere in all this sadness!    

40 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Is this really new ?   I imagine we have offered most of the highly rated players for many years regardless of coaches.  Maybe Riley aimed at pro style QBs more but its more a matter of making all out efforts to lure them to campus.  Hopefully Frost can sell DONU to lots more of the better ones - he seems to be doing better than Bo and Riley so far.  He needs some success in games now to show guys what can happen if they choose to sign Red.  

If the 2020 season happens we will know lots more by Oct 1.  If its 2021, then these young guys will be lots older physically effectively redshirting the whole team.  This could be advantageous and let us gain ground on programs more well established that reload instead of rebuild!   Got to find a silver lining somewhere in all this sadness!    

No.  We've often offered a lot of top guys.  How much effort we put into them and how much of a chance we really had would be open for debate.

• 4 months later...

Came across this bit while looking up info on Nadab. Gone from Georgia's 2018 #1 Nationally ranked recruiting class:

5 star QB Justin Fields (transferred to OSU)
5 star OT Cade Mays (transferrred to Tennessee)
5 star DE Brenton Cox (transferred to UF)
4 star TE Luke Ford (tranferred to Illinois)
4 star S Otis Reese (transferred to Ole Miss)
4 star CB Divaad Wilson (tranfer portal)
4 star CB Nadab Joseph (JUCO)

Something to think about if you ever feel like we lose a lot of top-ranked guys...

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Toe said:

Came across this bit while looking up info on Nadab. Gone from Georgia's 2018 #1 Nationally ranked recruiting class:

Something to think about if you ever feel like we lose a lot of top-ranked guys...

I agree, transfers are something that takes place. We shouldn't get worked up as a fan base because, frankly, it's the new normal.

One frustrating thing about recruiting is that all the good players go to a handful of schools. Georgia is able to replace their 4 star and 5 star players with more 4 star and 5 star players.

2018 5 star DE Brenton Cox was simply replaced by 2019 5 star DE Nolan Smith, the #1 overall player in the country. They actually upgraded.

Nebraska and teams like them don't have that luxury, so even though transfers happen, Nebraska is probably hit harder. Not a lot we can do about it though.

• Plus1 3
  • 7 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 8:21 AM, BigRedN said:

From an article I read, we seem to have over 400 offers out [closer to 450 I think].  A team like Clemson will have around 150 or so.  The better teams usually have around 150-200.

This topic comes up frequently and to the consternation of many.  I'm old enough to remember when an offer was an offer and what proceeded offers were LETTERS.  What changed that?  When Nick Saban went to Alabama.  He started shot gunning offers across the country, offering early became the new MO for getting in on recruits, & now we have uncommittable offers replacing letters to large degree.  

Of course, today Saban has his pick of recruits, & whines as much as anybody about the recruiting culture he created.  NU's offer list will go down when their recruiting interest is reciprocated at a higher rate.  Recruiting is a numbers game and right now NU needs a higher volume of offers to generate the mutual interest they covet.  

• Plus1 1
On 7/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, Toe said:

And they’re still going to be ranked in the top 4 next preseason.