Work Related Issues

We have been extremely busy since the beginning of the year. I anticipate things will slow down significantly.

No closure or schedule changes yet although beginning today I am going to limit access to essential personnel only (employees and deliveries)

Working from home is not a feasible option for anyone except myself. If it comes to that, my business will basically be closed and employees furloughed/layed off. We build things that require large specialized equipment. It just can't be done off site or from home.

I am the only one who really ever has a need to travel. I don't like to normally and I definitely won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

We have been extremely busy since the beginning of the year. I anticipate things will slow down significantly.

No closure or schedule changes yet although beginning today I am going to limit access to essential personnel only (employees and deliveries)

Working from home is not a feasible option for anyone except myself. If it comes to that, my business will basically be closed and employees furloughed/layed off. We build things that require large specialized equipment. It just can't be done off site or from home.

I am the only one who really ever has a need to travel. I don't like to normally and I definitely won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like we have similar type work places.  We are a manufacturer and there is no way production can be from home.  If I don't have employees here, we are shut down.  We have some office people that could work from home, but it would be more difficult.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the businesses we ship to.  They are in more populated areas of the country and if they shut down, we might as well shut down too.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sounds like we have similar type work places.  We are a manufacturer and there is no way production can be from home.  If I don't have employees here, we are shut down.  We have some office people that could work from home, but it would be more difficult.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the businesses we ship to.  They are in more populated areas of the country and if they shut down, we might as well shut down too.

What are you manufacturing? I'd say chances of closure largely depend on the industry. Retail and hospitality will be the first to close. After that I can't think of what else they would close 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What are you manufacturing? I'd say chances of closure largely depend on the industry. Retail and hospitality will be the first to close. After that I can't think of what else they would close 

Building products mostly related to residential construction.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Building products mostly related to residential construction.

I'm no expert but I would venture to guess a decent amount of that work can continue. Don't know if it will but that doesn't promote the same kind of spread as shops and restaurants.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm no expert but I would venture to guess a decent amount of that work can continue. Don't know if it will but that doesn't promote the same kind of spread as shops and restaurants.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer.  I'm actually trying to find a silver lining here somewhere.

But, if all those Restaurant and Hospitality people are off work, they aren't going to be buying things for their home.  

I'm guessing we will see some pull back on demand.  The question is how much.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer.  I'm actually trying to find a silver lining here somewhere.

But, if all those Restaurant and Hospitality people are off work, they aren't going to be buying things for their home.  

I'm guessing we will see some pull back on demand.  The question is how much.

Some people can't afford it but some people can. It all depends. I know a few people in my area who are teachers and they are using their time off to finish home projects. That said a pull back in demand is definitely a high probability I suppose.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We're diversified a little bit. The majority is stuff for food producers (beef, pork, dairy, chicken) but we also work with contractors/builders for custom stuff. We do a fair amount of replacement parts that larger packers need to keep running and, in some cases, no one else makes it. I expect that portion to not drop off drastically. But that alone isn't enough to maintain business as usual. Were extremely small so any pull back will hurt.

Our company manufactures industrial pumps.  We have a contingency plan for all of us wt laptops to work at home.  We've shut down business travel and all meetings are via skype, etc.  We are limiting the # of face to face meetings in the conference rooms as well.  New hand sanitizers are installed all over the place.  We have a huge back order list and our main supply chain is our sister companies in Monterrey - castings and machining.

Our biggest concern from a financial perspective would be the down turn in the oil price and if the oil related orders (pipelines, refineries from around the world) get placed on hold or canceled.  We have a world wide sales team and their travel is not restricted (one of my sales friends lives in the hardest hit area of Italy. They are doing fine so far - but his wife has had cancer which has gone into remission but she has to be very careful wt the weaken immune system). 

I work in college athletics...it's very uncertain right now.  A lot of working from home.  Travel ban for all coaches, all meetings to skype or zoom.  Recruiting no longer face to face.  No guests on campus without approval.

Not shut down, but are allowed to work from home.  All travel has been shut down until May and many meetings/conferences were postponed and  put on hold right now.  My wife has pretty much had to lay off all her part-time staff and here hourly managers are going to see reduced hours as well.  The economic impact of this is going to linger for quite some time.