***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

“Javin Wright will take some reps out there along with being in the back end. He's going to be kind of a guy that's going to job swap. There's another group, but I'm not ready to say which one of those groups is going to step up because we've got to see those guys for about week here.”

Wright’s move to outside linebacker this spring got a lot of people’s attention.

The 6-foot-3, 205 pound Wright started his career at safety and corner, but Chinander thinks there could be a future for him as a hybrid outside linebacker, similar to Domann.

“First and foremost, he's a ridiculously smart player,” Chinander said of Wright. “He could tell you what all the guys did before. He's really, really smart, has a great football knowledge. Second off, obviously, he's a very good-sized kid. We can do whatever we want with him. If we decide that secondary in the back end is going to be the best position, he can stay lean and be a 205, 210-pound safety-corner, whatever he needs to be.

A lot of questions to be answered especially on the defensive line and at linebacker.  We always need guys to step up and that will definitely be the case in 2020 defensively.  

• Plus1 2

Yards per carry allowed needs to be under 4 and yards per carry gained offensively above 5.  I dont know what our averages have been in last 5 years but probably reversed pretty much.  

Games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage generally and the run game primarily.   This has been true for decades although the shift over time to more passing based schemes may effect this some.  

But teams need to stay focused on the run game first imo.  You still want to force teams to pass and then defend accordingly.   The defense has the edge whenever the offense becomes predictable (run vs pass).  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I dont know what our averages have been in last 5 years but probably reversed pretty much.   

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.  So let's see:  LINK

Yards per carry:

Husker D     Husker O     W-L

Frost

2019         4.5                4.9            5-7

2018         5.0                5.4            4-8 

Riley

2017         5.7                3.5            4-8

2016         4.5                4.2            9-4 

2015         3.8                4.7            6-7

Pelini

2014         4.7                5.3            9-4 

2013         3.8                4.8            9-4 

2012         4.8                5.4          10-4 

2011         4.0                4.6            9-4 

2010         3.9                4.4          10-4  

=================================================================  

So basically, it took Riley two years to drive flush our O-line/D-line advantage down the toilet, and Frost hasn't been able to reverse the trend as of his second year.  (His first year was a bit better than last season.)

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

And looking at those numbers I think my numbers 5 ypc offense and 4 defense would translate into

10 plus win seasons fairly close.  

Now if they count QB sacks as neg runs those need to be deducted from passing stats not runs imo.  

Those will make some difference actually but these are strong indicators of:

1.  O line play

2.  D line and LB play

3.  QB play (sack avoidance mostly)

4.  Play calling & design

5. Poor field position set up by poor special teams, penalties and turnovers.   

Hopefully we see the offense really come together as players are much more familiar with schenes and Frost knows better what can and cant work with his players on both sides of the ball.  Likewise defensively.   
if the offense can run better and the defense slows down the runs better, good things WILL happen and close losses become close wins.   It seems obvious because it is but its easier said than done without the right talent playing smarter consistently!

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.  So let's see:  LINK

Yards per carry:

Husker D     Husker O     W-L

Frost

2019         4.5                4.9            5-7

2018         5.0                5.4            4-8 

Riley

2017         5.7                3.5            4-8

2016         4.5                4.2            9-4 

2015         3.8                4.7            6-7

Pelini

2014         4.7                5.3            9-4 

2013         3.8                4.8            9-4 

2012         4.8                5.4          10-4 

2011         4.0                4.6            9-4 

2010         3.9                4.4          10-4  

=================================================================  

So basically, it took Riley two years to drive flush our O-line/D-line advantage down the toilet, and Frost hasn't been able to reverse the trend as of his second year.  (His first year was a bit better than last season.)

You may have missed that third column.  

I understand the need to get stats improved, of course.  But there is a deep, HUGE problem in the Nebraska football program and tweaking this or that position is NOT going to solve that problem.  The entire thing has to be revamped to Big Ten standards, and Frost/Chinander et al are NOT to this conference's standards.  Fine and even good/great in another conference, we've seen. 

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I understand the need to get stats improved, of course.  But there is a deep, HUGE problem in the Nebraska football program and tweaking this or that position is NOT going to solve that problem.  The entire thing has to be revamped to Big Ten standards, and Frost/Chinander et al are NOT to this conference's standards.  Fine and even good/great in another conference, we've seen. 

I cant agree that our coaches arent good enough for the Big Ten “standards” whatever that may really mean.   I think we have lacked a lot in program form and function but I still have faith in Frost to get there.   This next season (20 hopefully) will be better I remain confident.   The job Frost undertook was a big one - much harder than any since Devaney came imo.  But he has the ability and heart.  He has shown the guts to revamp the roster and change staff if need be.  Lets all give him a chance.  The misfortune has made things even tougher but Frost is one tough nut and remains forward looking!   

DE - Stille, D. Thomas,  Rogers

NT - Riley, Daniels (ty robinson will also get some play here)

DT - Green, Ty Robinson, Rogers/Wildeman

OLB - Tannor, Nelson

ILB - Honas, Mauga-Clements

ILB - Miller, Heinrich

OLB - Domman, Javin Wright or Bootle if we go true nickel

CB - Bootle, Clark

CB - Britt-Taylor, Newsome

S - Williams, Sullivan

S - Dismuke, Poa-Gates

21 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I didn't miss the third column.  I created it.  It's from the LINKed source of data.  I compiled the data and put the third column there so people could see the W-L result of Husker teams with various YPC gained and given up.   

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I understand the need to get stats improved, of course.  But there is a deep, HUGE problem in the Nebraska football program and tweaking this or that position is NOT going to solve that problem.  The entire thing has to be revamped to Big Ten standards, and Frost/Chinander et al are NOT to this conference's standards.  Fine and even good/great in another conference, we've seen. 

Frost hasn't merely been tweaking a position or two on offense.  He, or rather, his staff have retooled the S&C program, and upgraded our lineman recruiting efforts on both sides of the ball.  The thing is, neither of these—S&C or recruiting—make an overnight impact.  There just aren't too many lineman ready to start in the Big 10 during their frosh or soph years.  Similarly with S&C, one year under Duval certainly helps.  But really it probably takes a couple of years to achieve maximum performance.  

So what can we expect for this year? 

Offense:  Our offensive line should be better than ever.  It has to be, right?  I mean, we didn't lose much to graduation, guys are healed up, and we have a class of Frost's 2019 recruits coming out of their redshirt year.  Hopefully, Martinez will up his game after last year's sophomore jinx.  Not sure what to expect from the RB room.  We'll certainly miss Mo Wash a bit.  But it's not like he carried the whole run game on his shoulders.    

Defense:  There's a bit more room for concern here.  We lost a lot of talent to graduation.  Three gus with NFL potential on the D-line alone.  I think our poor run defense last season might have been due largely to the linebacking corps.  I'm hoping this year's LBs are better run stoppers.  For me the 2020 Blackshirts are just a huge question mark.  Time will tell, I guess.          

image.gif

image.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

They've been doing the same nit-picky, third rate b.s. to husker football for twenty years.. with steady decline as the result.  It needs to be gutted by a proven Big Ten coaching staff and put forward, plain and simple.

Kinda like Minnesota did with Fleck, with his Big Ten pedigree or like Wisconsin did with Paul Chryst and all of his Big Ten coaching experience before getting that gig. Or better yet like Penn State did with Franklin because he spent so much time in the Big Ten over his career. 

C’mon man, nothing is saying that Frost isn’t worthy of being a Big Ten Coach. If anything at this point in his career he has proven more then those others had. Paul Chryst took over an established program and Franklin took over at Penn State after the previous coach navigated the Joe Pa incident and did so very well. Minnesota is the closest comparison to our program but it took Fleck a few years to get it running and he didn’t have near the attrition issues that Frost has had. I’m not saying Frost will for sure but it usually takes 5 years to truly transform a program. Firing Frost would just pour gas on the program and turn it into a full fledged dumpster fire!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Kinda like Minnesota did with Fleck, with his Big Ten pedigree or like Wisconsin did with Paul Chryst and all of his Big Ten coaching experience before getting that gig. Or better yet like Penn State did with Franklin because he spent so much time in the Big Ten over his career. 

C’mon man, nothing is saying that Frost isn’t worthy of being a Big Ten Coach. If anything at this point in his career he has proven more then those others had. Paul Chryst took over an established program and Franklin took over at Penn State after the previous coach navigated the Joe Pa incident and did so very well. Minnesota is the closest comparison to our program but it took Fleck a few years to get it running and he didn’t have near the attrition issues that Frost has had. I’m not saying Frost will for sure but it usually takes 5 years to truly transform a program. Firing Frost would just pour gas on the program and turn it into a full fledged dumpster fire!

I just don't see it.   I've been around husker football for a long long time, and what we're seeing for the past twenty-odd years is a new culture altogether different and the opposite of what B.D. and T.O. sowed, raked, and cultivated.  It's now like a blighted acreage that once yielded the best of the best.  Many problems yes, each could have been correctable, but new problems began to be layered on top of the old ones instead of rooting out the old ones. 

Simplistic attitudes prevailed while the disease set in.  Frost is just more of the same, and I dare say that was predictable.  Now he's seen as something he is not, just the same as the other coaches were seen.  We should have spent big bux on a proven Big Ten coach, plain and simple.  Mr. Frost might give us a season or three here and there of 8 wins, but it'll mostly be 5,6, and 7 until his contract looks buyable.  I rooted for him.. then I saw the rain later on, the hugely poor decision-making.. so I had to face the reality of watching a boxer with small hands getting his a$$ kicked by lower rated fighters.  I feel badly for him. 

• Haha 2
20 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I just don't see it.   I've been around husker football for a long long time, and what we're seeing for the past twenty-odd years is a new culture altogether different and the opposite of what B.D. and T.O. sowed, raked, and cultivated.  It's now like a blighted acreage that once yielded the best of the best.  Many problems yes, each could have been correctable, but new problems began to be layered on top of the old ones instead of rooting out the old ones. 

Simplistic attitudes prevailed while the disease set in.  Frost is just more of the same, and I dare say that was predictable.  Now he's seen as something he is not, just the same as the other coaches were seen.  We should have spent big bux on a proven Big Ten coach, plain and simple.  Mr. Frost might give us a season or three here and there of 8 wins, but it'll mostly be 5,6, and 7 until his contract looks buyable.  I rooted for him.. then I saw the rain later on, the hugely poor decision-making.. so I had to face the reality of watching a boxer with small hands getting his a$$ kicked by lower rated fighters.  I feel badly for him. 

I am not a fan of some things Frost is doing (offensive schemes for example) but it is just not fair to say Frost isnt capable of being a top notch Big Ten level coach. 

Big Ten experience may be helpful but is not essential imo.  And if Frost coaches two morre seasons, he will have 4 years Big ten HC experience as Nebraska’s coach.  Id say his resume would be near ideal then. At that point, the team and program will be his and his alone.   Thats the time to start evaluating Frost as a Neb HC going forward at year end 5.  if year 5 isnt fairly viewed as “real Neb football” in the style of mid 1970s teams, we need to start looking for someone better (not just different).  I doubt there will be many possible candidates out there.  

Replacing three NFL caliber talents like Khalil Davis, Carlos Davis and Darrion Daniels is no easy task. The Davis twins in particular had outstanding performances at the NFL Combine. Khalil Davis ripped off the best 40-yard-dash time for a 300-plus pound lineman since 2000. 

Losing that is now a challenge in front of second-year defensive line coach Tony Tuioti. He has no shortage of players vying to get those snaps that are now available. The Huskers have a mix of veterans, unproven players and a pair of junior college transfers. 

Ben Stille, Damion Daniels and Deontre Thomas have been regular contributors. Casey Rogers, Keem Green and Ty Robinson saw spot duty last season. Tate Wildeman and Mosai Newsom are trying to work their way into the conversation as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 8:11 AM, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Can you provide actual examples of the bolded above?  By culture do you simply mean win/loss record?