***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

On 7/20/2020 at 7:00 PM, suh_fan93 said:

Optimistic words from Chinander but I am still waiting to see if he can also get his guys in the right positions as well as get our guys to actually make the tackle way more times than not.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say Chinander has guys out of position to make plays 

I'd agree with the lack of execution, especially at the LB positiions.

I like the move of Javon Wright to OLB.   I thought it might be Farmer that they would do this with but it will work with Javon too and they like the length there.  Wright will give them a guy much like Domann who can play in the base package and stay in there in Nickel situations.  I like keeping speed on the field.   We will see how well he can hold an edge.    OLB is absolutely the biggest question on D and the ILB were right after that.   Last year some teams were stretching us out and we werent getting in the right gaps.  I  hope that is fixed this year as that is coaching.  

29 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i would say Chins is a bit under the gun this season, if we have one.

Definitely fewer excuses now - LBs were bad last year, but he's got more of the athletes/body types he wants and a new coach as well. I actually think we'll be pretty solid on D this year, but I know there are a lot of fans who expect more of the same and wouldn't be upset about a new DC. 

I for sure feel a lot better about LB this year, but I drink a lot of kool-aid so there's that. Still not enough proven guys, but last year there wasn't really much depth or upside. The depth this year is not at all proven, but at least it's not the mix of true freshmen and walk-ons (aside from Reimer, who will earn a scholly sooner than later) it was last year. I'm at least interested to see what the 'depth' guys can do, where last year I was just cringing, hoping they were passable. 

2018                                                                                                        2019

ILB                                                                                                                

Barry                                                                                                       Honas (should be 100%)

Honas (first year back from ACL tear)                                              Miller (Ruud says the movement is more natural, but who knows)

Miller (still looked pretty unnatural out there)                                 EMC

Henrich (freshman, dinged up)                                                          Henrich (bulked up and healthy)

Reimer (freshman, focusing on one position for the first time)   Reimer (got some reps

???                                                                                                           Greene (doubt he plays much on D this year, but more talent than                                                                                                                             anyone else on the roster at ILB)

OLB

Domann (great but inconsistent)                                                       Domann

Davis                                                                                                       Tannor (year 3)                                                  

Tannor (still small, inconsistent)                                                        Nelson (has some reps under his belt)

Nelson (freshman)                                                                               Cooper (Dawson starting the hype train)

Ferguson (left in the middle of the year - mentally, before that)  Javin Wright (Domann 2.0?)

???                                                                                                          Gunnerson (big and athletic enough)   

Damien Jackson/Hannah                                                                                                                                                                                                     Alston/Graham (long shots, but got some S&C)

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely fewer excuses now - LBs were bad last year, but he's got more of the athletes/body types he wants and a new coach as well. I actually think we'll be pretty solid on D this year, but I know there are a lot of fans who expect more of the same and wouldn't be upset about a new DC. 

I for sure feel a lot better about LB this year, but I drink a lot of kool-aid so there's that. Still not enough proven guys, but last year there wasn't really much depth or upside. The depth this year is not at all proven, but at least it's not the mix of true freshmen and walk-ons (aside from Reimer, who will earn a scholly sooner than later) it was last year. I'm at least interested to see what the 'depth' guys can do, where last year I was just cringing, hoping they were passable. 

2018                                                                                                        2019

ILB                                                                                                                

Barry                                                                                                       Honas (should be 100%)

Honas (first year back from ACL tear)                                              Miller (Ruud says the movement is more natural, but who knows)

Miller (still looked pretty unnatural out there)                                 EMC

Henrich (freshman, dinged up)                                                          Henrich (bulked up and healthy)

Reimer (freshman, focusing on one position for the first time)   Reimer (got some reps

???                                                                                                           Greene (doubt he plays much on D this year, but more talent than                                                                                                                             anyone else on the roster at ILB)

OLB

Domann (great but inconsistent)                                                       Domann

Davis                                                                                                       Tannor (year 3)                                                  

Tannor (still small, inconsistent)                                                        Nelson (has some reps under his belt)

Nelson (freshman)                                                                               Cooper (Dawson starting the hype train)

Ferguson (left in the middle of the year - mentally, before that)  Javin Wright (Domann 2.0?)

???                                                                                                          Gunnerson (big and athletic enough)   

Damien Jackson/Hannah                                                                                                                                                                                                     Alston/Graham (long shots, but got some S&C)

with lack of experience, starters and back ups, we almost have to expect it will take a season for these new kids to develop.

hate that.

6 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

with lack of experience, starters and back ups, we almost have to expect it will take a season for these new kids to develop.

hate that.

There's actually a fair amount of experience, specifically Honas, Miller, and Domann. To a lesser degree Tannor and Nelson, and Juco isn't as good as D1 experience but it's something for Cooper and EMC. But for most of the potential real difference makers, I agree it'll be more developmental this year. Which should still be better than last year.

11 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely fewer excuses now - LBs were bad last year, but he's got more of the athletes/body types he wants and a new coach as well.

I like some of the guys we have coming in, but honestly, I don't think it's going to be enough to cover for the kinda weak LB recruiting we've had in previous years. We'll see some flashes, but I still don't think we'll see real consistency or depth out of this squad this year. Maybe next year, when some of the newer guys have more experience.

The biggest wildcard is Dawson, I don't know how much he'll be able to improve things right away.

• Plus1 1

My bet for the starting lineup: 

DE: Stille, Greene

NT: Riley, Daniels, Greene (Rotation for all 3)

DE: Thomas, Ty Rob

OLB: Tannor/Cooper, Nelson

ILB: Honas, Henrich/Reimer 

ILB: Miller, Mauga-Clements/Key Greene 

OLB: Domann, Maybe Graham?

1CB: Bootle, Joseph/ Newsome (when he comes back) 

CB: CTB, Joseph, Clarke

S: D. Williams, NPG

S: Dismuke, Farmer 

Nickel: Joseph 

The defense - I hope we do play but maybe 1/100 shot at this point with all the negative media - will be much better.  The athletes are better and they are maturing in the system.  There has to be much better understanding and confidence among the bunch and with that comes more natural speed and aggression.  Less think and hesitate - more attack fast.   Actually this will benefit the offense as well as they will practice against much better competition.