***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

@Gorillahawk I don't think it's just a matter of getting guys who are ready to play right away. The attrition from Riley's guys has been so high that Frost has had to bring in a lot of transfers just to balance out the class numbers somewhat. Otherwise, we'd have an entire roster full of freshmen & sophomores, which would probably result in fewer scholarships being available when those 'big' classes become upperclassmen.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

As much as it pains me to say it.... it worked for Bill Snyder at k-state. They were a dumpster fire and he brought in quality juco kids until he could build and develop quality depth

Snyder was the absolute king of Jucos.  It certainly helped that there was a ton of talent in the backyard due to the KJCCC.  Still, he feels like he was 10-15 years ahead of the curve.  

Lot of juco players were hs recruits placed in the juco schools as part of their “farm” club program in effect.  A smart approach which I believe TO also utilized now and then, especially after frosh became eligible.  Jucos are often disfavored but imo ought to be pursued more as the academic qualifications have been tightened up.  There are good athletes out in the juco ranks that may be missed.  Nothing wrong with them, especially with so many guys not staying around for their 5 years anymore.   Not sure what the average is for duration in school but it is probably going down not up - just a hunch.  

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

I don't care if talent/athletes/performers come from HS/JUCO or the transfer portal.  We need help wherever it can be found.....

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dittos.  

Agreed - if they're the best players, they've gotta play. This also says more about the roster turnover than anything, that number wouldn't be so high if guys like Avery Roberts, Guy Thomas, etc stuck around and developed. Also still seems unlikely for all 8 be on the field at the same time, I think it's more accurate to say we could have 8 Jucos in the 2-deep. Even that's a little stretch, because the d-line is more of a 8-10 man rotation than a starter/backup situation.