***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

48 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Just to clarify something, can these seniors come back for another year?  I am sure it has been discussed, but I am not sure what the covid rules are.

Probably.  No one uses a year of eligibility this year.  So it's possible for everyone to come back.

But the school has some say on if they are going to allow that or not.  Wisconsin did not allow their spring sport seniors to come back for another year next year. 

I would think Nebraska will welcome back anyone they think will still help.  Any who probably aren't going to contribute will probably be advised to move on.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Probably.  No one uses a year of eligibility this year.  So it's possible for everyone to come back.

But the school has some say on if they are going to allow that or not.  Wisconsin did not allow their spring sport seniors to come back for another year next year. 

I would think Nebraska will welcome back anyone they think will still help.  Any who probably aren't going to contribute will probably be advised to move on.

Thanks for the info.  Well, I can think of a few defensive seniors I would welcome back for another year.  :)

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've been wondering how this will work. Unless the NCAA is loosening scholarship limits for next year, all these seniors sticking around are potentially taking away scholarships from incoming freshmen, right?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Toe said:

I've been wondering how this will work. Unless the NCAA is loosening scholarship limits for next year, all these seniors sticking around are potentially taking away scholarships from incoming freshmen, right?

I don't know if this fully been announced, but I thought that the NCAA wouldn't count seniors who want to return for 2021 against the 85-scholarship limit.  But, I could be completely wrong.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

For the spring sports, the returning seniors simply don't count against the limit.  But they didn't give a free pass to everyone, just seniors could return for an extra year, as far as I know.

I haven't seen any official word on football.  This gave everyone an extra year so the "problem" won't necessarily be fixed in one year.  The first thing I saw about that was Sean Callahan said this morning that there wouldn't be a limit for 2021 but it would be back to 85 for 2022.  I don't know if that's the official word or just the thinking.  And I don't know if that's literally no limit or just a shorthand for basically the same as spring sports.

We currently have 13 seniors on scholarship and are using 82 scholarships (that I know of).  We are probably taking a full 25 newcomers for 2021 (maybe 26) so we have the potential to have 108 scholarship guys for 2021 (probably less because there will be some departures but up to that number).  But since no one loses a year of eligibility this year, we'll have 30 seniors that would exhaust their eligibility after 2021.  So that's potentially 78 returners for 2022 meaning there would only be 7 open scholarships.  So we have to have 18 guys leave early over the next two years to be able to take a full recruiting class.  There are usually 3-5 who leave early every year so 8-9 would be fairly normal over two years but it will be interesting to see if those other 9-10 spots are extra guys leaving early or having to take a smaller recruiting class.  I would guess some of both, probably about half and half.  But that's going to suck for the Class of 2022 recruits because there is going to be that many fewer spots everywhere.  Good for the Group of 5 schools I guess.

As a JoJo fan, I am probably reading too much into this, but nice when the DC in today's presser describes his nickel package like this per Tweet from McKewon......

Chinander outlines Nebraska's nickel set, which consists of 2 DEs, 4 LBs, Domann and 4 DBs. Says NU likes to use that on 10 and 11 personnel.

Any idea who all got Blackshirts?

• Plus1 1