***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Wisconsin runs the 3-4 and does fine stopping the run.

Pretty certain scheme isn't the cause of any issues we have in stopping the run...the issues are when to blitz, when not to blitz, dropping us into a 4-3, when to be in nickel, getting our backers into coverage, etc.

The coaches do a crappy job right now putting us into positions to succeed.  That's not the 3-4's fault...that's the coaches scheming to defeat the opponent offense and it's been horrendous this year.

I take it you think we should Blitz First...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fire 1

A loss is a loss but thinking positively - how about Bootle’s interception and everyone rallying around him right after? First of his career, I think. Happy for the guy!

Adrian played really well - did he just need to lose the start to realize what was on the line? I don’t know but maybe it worked. 

Overall, I thought we played well against Iowa’s stout defense. Their QB did us some favors too. Our inconsistency week to week is killer, though. 

is Allen okay? Did Frost mention it in the post-game?

I truly don't believe the league is out to get us, but the refs must just follow their scouting reports over their eyes. I can't see any other explanation for the calls against us like Benhart's hold and the no holding calls on opposing teams. Benhart did hold, but it wasn't egregious and the defender had no chance on the play - if that's Wisconsin and their report doesn't call out watching for holding, that just doesn't get called.

I think they legitimately look for the penalties they are told to look for, and miss anything not blatant (and some blatant) if it's not what they were looking for. Right now we probably still have a lot listed in our reports, so it's a self fulfilling prophecy. And teams that have been disciplined for longer get the benefit of the doubt way more often. I would pay good money to see the referee reviews game by game - I imagine it is not as disproportionate as it feels, but there have to be several missed holds in every game. That never makes it into their scouting report, that maybe those should be called? IIRC, we broke a year+ long streak of no holdings called in our favor last year as well, this is not the first absurd stretch like this.

• Plus1 1

I think B1G officiating at least from the games I've watched this year hasn't been what I'd call spectacular.  Even this weekend I'm pretty sure I did in fact see some fairly blatant holding calls that would've been against Iowa not get called.  Sure they may have missed some calls on our guys as well.  The 'iffy' calls I can see but the blatant holding calls where you can actually see the defender getting turned/held up and jersey is being grabbed is another story.

Iowa got called for that clipping by the OL.  not more than about 4 plays later I believe the same guy did it again.  clear as day.  Funny how you miss it a second time but are quick to call holding on an a guy blocking I guy who took himself out of the play.  They also missed a blatant pick on one of Iowa's completed passes.  I do think its crazy that no holding has been called.  I know we don't have super explosive guys on the line that make holding more noticeable but there have been plenty of times when I thought it was obvious 

• Thanks 3

I've often wondered if teams switch to white gloves against us when we are away. I mean, this is an ongoing problem. Their have been some tremendous botched calls this year that have benefitted our opponents, but to me this is even more telling. Our opponents almost never get a huge play called back due to holding. We get 3-5 per game it seems like. In fact, I don't believe any big play anymore until I have verified there was no flag thrown because of this. It's pretty egregious. 

• Plus1 1

I've heard it said - and I think there is some validity to it - that part of the issue is our own lack of a dynamic pass rush that doesn't create as many opportunities.

But it seems like this is brought up every year - how long it's been since we've had an opponent called for holding.  You have to think that there should be ONE flag thrown, especially with how ticky-tack a few of the ones we've been called for have been.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've heard it said - and I think there is some validity to it - that part of the issue is our own lack of a dynamic pass rush that doesn't create as many opportunities.

But it seems like this is brought up every year - how long it's been since we've had an opponent called for holding.  You have to think that there should be ONE flag thrown, especially with how ticky-tack a few of the ones we've been called for have been.

There's definitely validity to that, but I think we've all seen at least one or two just blatant holds on TV. I can't see how the refs miss all of those.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I strongly agree. A dynamic pass rusher could be an absolute game changer for this defense.