Jervay Green

Mavric

On 3/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, seaofred92 said:

Mack will be gone and I wouldn’t be surprised if Cross  was too. Also Easley won’t have a scholarship and Mack is gone. 

Why do you think Cross might leave? He played good minutes and made an impact. 

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you think that?

It was a pretty open secret earlier in the year that Arop was quite a ways behind the skill level anticipated by the new coaches.  However, he did get some playing time later in the season (not that there were very many guys left ahead of him) so maybe he made up some ground.  Still, with three guys already here that are almost assuredly ahead of him and bringing in several more transfers, it would not be a shock if he saw the writing on the wall that he has a long road to significant playing time.

From the times I watched him this year, Cross just doesn't look like a legit threat to me.  Maybe I just don't see it.  His shooting form just looks awkward to me - and his 27% shooting on 3s tends to agree with my assessment.  But he still fired up basically as many as anyone on the team.  And he just doesn't strike me as overly athletic.  As with Arop, I could see him realizing he is getting recruited over and look for other options.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was a pretty open secret earlier in the year that Arop was quite a ways behind the skill level anticipated by the new coaches.  However, he did get some playing time later in the season (not that there were very many guys left ahead of him) so maybe he made up some ground.  Still, with three guys already here that are almost assuredly ahead of him and bringing in several more transfers, it would not be a shock if he saw the writing on the wall that he has a long road to significant playing time.

Interestingly, he has our highest FG and 3pt percentage.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From the times I watched him this year, Cross just doesn't look like a legit threat to me.  Maybe I just don't see it.  His shooting form just looks awkward to me - and his 27% shooting on 3s tends to agree with my assessment.  But he still fired up basically as many as anyone on the team.  And he just doesn't strike me as overly athletic.  As with Arop, I could see him realizing he is getting recruited over and look for other options.

I agree.  but, I could say that about almost all players this year.  

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  but, I could say that about almost all players this year.  

Not really.  Even with how bad we generally shot threes this year, Cross was still the worst.  Noticeably worse than anyone but Green (of those who shot a bunch).  And his shooting motion is definitely worse than anyone.  And, for my money, he's the least-athletic person on the team by some margin.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you think that?

They’re the only remaining two I’d consider “expendable” 

Banton sat out last year

Walker sat out last year

Stevenson sat out last year

Thor is a Senior- could move on but Fred stood up for him and wanted him here last year after kicking everyone off the team.

Mack- Gone

Green- Gone

Burke- Gone

Ouedraogo- confirmed he’s back

Allen- newcomer

Mayen- newcomer

Webster- grad transfer

King- transfer

that’s 9 Scholarship guys.

We’re after multiple transfers still, including guards and bigs. We’ve been linked to 7-8 guys still out there in the market, I’m thinking we’ll take at least one, possibly two more. 

Then: 

Cross: Atrocious PER and shot 27% from 3. Not saying I want him to leave just wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

Arop: didn’t play meaningful minutes until we had nobody left

Plus what Mav said above. It’s not unthinkable to think these two would be processed and we’d bring in another PG/JUCO/Transfer

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

They’re the only remaining two I’d consider “expendable” 

Banton sat out last year

Walker sat out last year

Stevenson sat out last year

Thor is a Senior- could move on but Fred stood up for him and wanted him here last year after kicking everyone off the team.

Mack- Gone

Green- Gone

Burke- Gone

Ouedraogo- confirmed he’s back

Allen- newcomer

Mayen- newcomer

Webster- grad transfer

King- transfer

that’s 9 Scholarship guys.

We’re after multiple transfers still, including guards and bigs. We’ve been linked to 7-8 guys still out there in the market, I’m thinking we’ll take at least one, possibly two more. 

Then: 

Cross: Atrocious PER and shot 27% from 3. Not saying I want him to leave just wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

Arop: didn’t play meaningful minutes until we had nobody left

Plus what Mav said above. It’s not unthinkable to think these two would be processed and we’d bring in another PG/JUCO/Transfer

I believe Thor will return. Burke isn't 100 percent gone according to Heady but he will assuredly grad transfer. He knows he will be coming off the bench if he sticks around. Arop may get processed but we will see who all they can get.

Cross should stay and develop. This was a throw away year anyway and he hung around out there despite never lifting weights until he came to Nebraska. He also played way out of position because he isn't big enough to guard fives in the Big ten. Next year he will play more of his 3 and 4 spot and might even bring the ball up. I see him staying because it was his first year and he now knows what it takes to play big boy ball. He will get a reduced role next year so that could be a reason he leaves. Nothing is guaranteed though and maybe he surprises and can get 20 plus minutes a game.  

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I believe Thor will return. Burke isn't 100 percent gone according to Heady but he will assuredly grad transfer. He knows he will be coming off the bench if he sticks around. Arop may get processed but we will see who all they can get.

Cross should stay and develop. This was a throw away year anyway and he hung around out there despite never lifting weights until he came to Nebraska. He also played way out of position because he isn't big enough to guard fives in the Big ten. Next year he will play more of his 3 and 4 spot and might even bring the ball up. I see him staying because it was his first year and he now knows what it takes to play big boy ball. He will get a reduced role next year so that could be a reason he leaves. Nothing is guaranteed though and maybe he surprises and can get 20 plus minutes a game.  

He’s too slow to play 3. He needs to work his butt off and be a power forward and small ball 5. He actually initiates the break well and I don’t think he’s total deadweight. I just think if they chose to move on from him it won’t be the end of the world.

• seaofred92 changed the title to Jervay Green