2020-21 Season Notes

• Mavric changed the title to 2020-21 Season Notes

If the Cleveland State rumor is true, there are only about 3 games left to schedule.  They should host a Big East team in the Gavitt Games, an ACC team in the ACC/B1G Challenge and Creighton.  They will have neutral site games with K-State in KC three teams in the Myrtle Beach Invitational (Charlotte, Dayton, Loyola, Missouri, Penn, Pitt & Utah State).  Plus the 20 B1G games.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

If the Cleveland State rumor is true, there are only about 3 games left to schedule.  They should host a Big East team in the Gavitt Games, an ACC team in the ACC/B1G Challenge and Creighton.  They will have neutral site games with K-State in KC three teams in the Myrtle Beach Invitational (Charlotte, Dayton, Loyola, Missouri, Penn, Pitt & Utah State).  Plus the 20 B1G games.

That Myrtle Beach Invitational field is solid and should provide a really good glimpse into where we're at in year 2 under Hoiberg. Dayton will be good but will obviously take a step back, especially if Crutcher stays in the draft. Penn is usually top 3 in the Ivy League, Utah State is very good (won MWC tournament this season). Charlotte is vastly improved from 2 years ago under Ron Sanchez (formerly at UVA) and should be near the top of CUSA next year. Pitt is a name but sort of a steaming pile of garbage. Mizzou I have no read on but obviously is a historically relevant opponent for us. And Loyola (Chicago) would be a fun opponent even if they're not as good as they were in 2018. 

This year we played 1 exhibition and 4 regular season games before our MTE. This year I'd anticipate 2 exhibitions since we don't have the international trip and either 3 or 4 games prior to the MTE. We didn't play in the Gavitt Games last year and with UConn in the Big East there are now 11 teams- not sure if they're sticking to 10 games or 11 but regardless I'd expect us to be in that this year. That means at least 1 high major game prior to the MTE as well.

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

That Myrtle Beach Invitational field is solid and should provide a really good glimpse into where we're at in year 2 under Hoiberg. Dayton will be good but will obviously take a step back, especially if Crutcher stays in the draft. Penn is usually top 3 in the Ivy League, Utah State is very good (won MWC tournament this season). Charlotte is vastly improved from 2 years ago under Ron Sanchez (formerly at UVA) and should be near the top of CUSA next year. Pitt is a name but sort of a steaming pile of garbage. Mizzou I have no read on but obviously is a historically relevant opponent for us. And Loyola (Chicago) would be a fun opponent even if they're not as good as they were in 2018. 

This year we played 1 exhibition and 4 regular season games before our MTE. This year I'd anticipate 2 exhibitions since we don't have the international trip and either 3 or 4 games prior to the MTE. We didn't play in the Gavitt Games last year and with UConn in the Big East there are now 11 teams- not sure if they're sticking to 10 games or 11 but regardless I'd expect us to be in that this year. That means at least 1 high major game prior to the MTE as well.

At this point, my best guess for the schedule is:

Exhibition game(s)

Buy game

Gavitt Games

Cleveland State

Myrtle Beach

ACC/B1G Challenge

Buy game

Creighton

Two B1G games

Finals Week

K-State

Buy game

Christmas Break

The rest of B1G games

The Creighton & early B1G games may be flip flopped.  We should be home for both the Gavitt Games & ACC/B1G Challenge.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

At this point, my best guess for the schedule is:

Exhibition game(s)

Buy game

Gavitt Games

Cleveland State

Myrtle Beach

ACC/B1G Challenge

Buy game

Creighton

Two B1G games

Finals Week

K-State

Buy game

Christmas Break

The rest of B1G games

The Creighton & early B1G games may be flip flopped.  We should be home for both the Gavitt Games & ACC/B1G Challenge.

I think we’ll definitely be home for the ACC/B1G game- we’ve been on the road 2 years in a row there (@ Clemson @ GT). The last Gavitt Games contest we had was v Seton Hall in 2018- that one may be on the road this year (especially since we have Creighton at home). 

I didn’t realize there’s only 8 Gavitt Games contests every year- there’s a chance we sit out again given how deep the league is and how much turnover we’ll have again. Fred may want to have some easier games to get the team ready before Myrtle. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I think we’ll definitely be home for the ACC/B1G game- we’ve been on the road 2 years in a row there (@ Clemson @ GT). The last Gavitt Games contest we had was v Seton Hall in 2018- that one may be on the road this year (especially since we have Creighton at home). 

I didn’t realize there’s only 8 Gavitt Games contests every year- there’s a chance we sit out again given how deep the league is and how much turnover we’ll have again. Fred may want to have some easier games to get the team ready before Myrtle. 

We have played Gavitt three times and two were on the road.  The next time we play, we should be home.  B1G teams are only guaranteed four Gavitt games in 8 years, so we could sit out the next couple of years.  Michigan State didn't play until this year, so who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavitt_Tipoff_Games

• Plus1 1