Silver linings during the quarantine

This whole situation sucks for everyone, some more than others. I hope all of you Huskerboarders and your families are staying safe and healthy and that you have everything you need in order to hunker down for a while. While there may not be much we can do to change things right now, let's use this thread to list some positive things that are happening as we adjust to the new reality. 

- We are developing some good, healthy habits with food at home. We used to go out or order out way too much and have been meaning for a long time to do a better job making meal plans and eating healthier. Now we are forced into doing so, and our habits and health are benefiting from it.

- My wife and I have reconnected in positive ways. Like many married couples (15 years), we had settled into a rut that gets us by with our day to day routines but we hadn't really been working on our own relationship. Now that we are in the house 24 hours a day together, our spark as a team has been reignited. Planning together, cooking together, enforcing appropriate boundaries with the kids, etc has been a good thing for the two of us.

- Strangely enough, I feel a little more productive working from home this week. Normally working from home is full of distractions, but since this is now going to be a normal thing, I think I might be more paranoid to prove to myself and my boss that I can get things done (plus with my wife and kids around, I want to look busy in front of them!). 

- It has helped me and my family realize how fortunate we are. We are able to work from home, our paychecks are not being disrupted, and we have everything we need for now. Not everyone is so lucky. Count your blessings.

What silver linings are you all able to make of this?

• Plus1 4

The healthy lifestyle part has been a thing with me too. I've managed to stop drinking soda again (not having a vending machine 30 seconds away helps), and once it gets warmer I think I'll start taking a long walk every morning before work (assuming I'm allowed out at that point). I've come to find out that I needed the drive to work to wake myself up. This week I've been rolling out of bed and into work calls 5 mins later and it isn't working out too well for me.

One insignificant, selfish perk is that traffic is much better. It's been a joy driving to and from work the past week. Hardly anybody on the roads, no school zones.... it's been nice. But I'd still rather be dealing with too much traffic than all the negatives of this deal.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, RedSavage said:

The positive impact this has had on the planet by reducing the human footprint.  The canals in Venice, dolphins swimming closer to shore, the massively reduced pollution in China, etc.  

On 3/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, Gorillahawk said:

I seen a map of the pollution before and after in China,  it was amazing 

I'm gonna sound like a hippie but it would be cool if after we get through this we could have a week off every year where we do this voluntarily. Kinda like giving your body a rest day.

• Plus1 1