Covid-19 Legislation

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't like this part.

A small company in the middle of Nebraska might be paying, say $11 per hour.  Maybe with their market and what they do they can't pay more.  The cost of living in their small town would be so that the $11 per hour is actually better than $15 per hour in LA or Dallas.  Why should they be required to pay $15 per hour?

This is an example of the Dems trying to push something through that they couldn't normally.

Totally true!

A long time ago I lived in a small central NE town...My rent for my place was 180 a month.  I would imagine that even today it would be close to the same.  

I'll bet a LOT of people take whatever money they get from this and stick it straight into a savings account and don't touch it.  Some will have to pay rent/bills or buy food, but for a lot of folks they're going to treat this as a potential time bomb.

Who knows how this is going to need to be paid back, or if or when.  If they end up sending checks, everyone that doesn't have to spend it should not spend it.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'll bet a LOT of people take whatever money they get from this and stick it straight into a savings account and don't touch it.  Some will have to pay rent/bills or buy food, but for a lot of folks they're going to treat this as a potential time bomb.

Who knows how this is going to need to be paid back, or if or when.  If they end up sending checks, everyone that doesn't have to spend it should not spend it.

Why are they even discussing how individuals are going to pay this back? Just get people the money. We can figure it out a year or two from now. Or whenever the economy has recovered.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Why are they even discussing how individuals are going to pay this back? Just get people the money. We can figure it out a year or two from now. Or whenever the economy has recovered.

Because we may not be able to pay it back. I think having a plan in place for receipt and repayment, before checks are issued, is a pretty good idea.

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Because we may not be able to pay it back. I think having a plan in place for receipt and repayment, before checks are issued, is a pretty good idea.

We don't have to have a plan to directly pay it back either. But if we really want to account for the money, then change the tax rates, particularly on those making $250k+.

Is there anything in anyone's plans about if a business gets federal assistance of any sort they cannot fire employee for X amount of months unless it's clearly documented performance based?   I thought I saw that was anohter sticking point for Dems with the Rep's bill.   They wanted the safety net of no mass terminations.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't like this part.

A small company in the middle of Nebraska might be paying, say $11 per hour.  Maybe with their market and what they do they can't pay more.  The cost of living in their small town would be so that the $11 per hour is actually better than $15 per hour in LA or Dallas.  Why should they be required to pay $15 per hour?

This is an example of the Dems trying to push something through that they couldn't normally.

I don't disagree with you in concept, but if this "minimum wage" is for only incorporated, public companies, this wouldn't apply to small, private companies.  This is most likely targeted towards large corporations which would be getting bailout funds.

Not at all surprised Red. Dude made his career at Goldman Sachs learning how to squeeze every penny out of the less intelligent and then used those skills to harvest profit off the backs of people during the Great Recession housing crisis.  

I believe Dirty Money on Netflix had a good episode on the nature of Goldman Sachs from season 1. It is crazy to watch the heartlessness.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think that's what it's saying. I gather this means that there will be oversight into how they spend this money, and I'm guessing this has a LOT to do with forcing businesses to provide benefits to workers and not just buying back their stocks or increasing executive pay, which we've seen a lot of since the 2009 bailout.

I don't think anyone wants corporate America to fail. I also don't think anyone wants taxpayers to continue to write checks to these corporations who can't seem to survive on their own.  That's welfare, and we are pretty much all cautious of that program.

I would agree.  There's a part of this national conversation that makes me cringe.  Don't get me wrong.  The stock buybacks and executive bonuses after getting help from the government are total BS and need to be stopped.  However, I've seen comments like, "well, if a company did stock buybacks in 2008, screw them, they don't need anything else.

Well....yes....back then they screwed up and the government screwed up for allowing the buybacks and bonuses.  But, many of these companies have been very successful companies up until this shut down.  It's not like they "Can't stand on their own".  The reasons for this support now is not because of any business decisions or their lack of being able to manage the company.