Covid-19 Legislation

On 3/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, knapplc said:

I'll bet a LOT of people take whatever money they get from this and stick it straight into a savings account and don't touch it.  Some will have to pay rent/bills or buy food, but for a lot of folks they're going to treat this as a potential time bomb.

Who knows how this is going to need to be paid back, or if or when.  If they end up sending checks, everyone that doesn't have to spend it should not spend it.

That may be what you or I do with whatever pittance they bestow upon us. But I’d venture to say the vast majority of people will spend it on either necessities (those who really need it) or whatever frivolous crap they’ve been wanting to buy (a whole bunch of people in the next tier)  before the check even clears the bank. Have you seen the rate of savings for the average person? It’s not good.

I’m really impressed by how they hold $1000 in such high esteem when it’s going directly to a taxpayer but simultaneously they act like millions or billions are nothing when it’s going to their campaign contributors or pork projects. They’re all scum.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There may be a snag, folks.

Seems a few Senators don't like the Unemployment Insurance stipulation.

Notice how they're concerned we may be giving CITIZENS too much money, but not CORPORATIONS. 

I'm also highly skeptical of these three and their alleged "life-threatening" concerns.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

There may be a snag, folks.

Seems a few Senators don't like the Unemployment Insurance stipulation.

Notice how they're concerned we may be giving CITIZENS too much money, but not CORPORATIONS. 

You guys, I'm beginning to think three-ish Senators didn't read the legislation very well before issuing an alert about a "drafting error" in the bill, you guys...

17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You guys, I'm beginning to think three-ish Senators didn't read the legislation very well before issuing an alert about a "drafting error" in the bill, you guys...

Perhaps they’re too stupid to know the difference between quitting and being laid off. 

• Plus1 1

25 million to the Kennedy Center???

Hahaha!  Hasn't that family f#&%ed enough people over?  My god.  That is the most insane part of it all!

With that said...I would have LOVED to have been friends with JFK back in the day...MY GOD!  I bet he just had penicillin sitting in the fridge. 

• Plus1 2

From what I can tell from my student loans, interest is still accruing. So, they didn't do enough in my opinion. They should have stopped them from being due, stopped interest from accruing, stopped everything, for 2 months or 4 months or whatever.

That said I was able to pay off one of my loans to day so I'm pretty happy.

Just now, Moiraine said:

From what I can tell from my student loans, interest is still accruing. So, they didn't do enough in my opinion. They should have stopped them from being due, stopped interest from accruing, stopped everything, for 2 months or 4 months or whatever.

That said I was able to pay off one of my loans to day so I'm pretty happy.

Credit Cards too!

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Individual States sure seem to be stepping up much quicker and more efficiently than the fiasco in Congress

Unicameral approved $83 mil with no known hidden partisan agendas 

https://journalstar.com/legislature/nebraska-senators-advance-emergency-funding-for-covid/article_37c53722-dbde-5643-8e8a-147103ae4b23.html

Yes. Good on them for their swift action. The "no evictions" clause is super important for people with tenuous housing situations.

• Plus1 2

This may be one of several emergency packages that will have to be passed by Congress.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-what-it-does-b4fa6c4d-6e45-4d15-8089-d51c655bc1c9.html

Part of the article:

Perhaps the most important thing about the $2.2 trillion stimulus bill the Senate passed late Wednesday night is that it is not a stimulus bill at all.

• It is not intended to stimulate growth and spending to offset a potential downturn; it is designed to prevent mass homelessness, starvation and a wave of business closures not seen since the height of the Great Depression.

Why it matters: The bill's price tag is around 10% of U.S. GDP, and Congress is already bickering internally — as well as with various lobbyists and policy advocates — about whether it goes far enough in a plethora of directions.

Even if the bill passes, the story won't be over:

• We are likely to be in this same situation again, economists say — and soon.
  • Another stimulus bill will likely be necessary to get the economy running after the COVID-19 outbreak has been contained.
  • More immediately, it's possible that a second massive spending bill will be needed just to stop further bleeding.

•