Covid-19 Legislation

A couple of my employees received their $1200 payments this morning, others did not. I'm sure I won't see mine for quite awhile. I always mail the govt checks when I pay/owe them and, when (if ever) I am due a refund, they apply it to my next years estimated tax or send me a check. I've never done auto pay or deposit with them.

2 minutes ago, commando said:

if i write in "sucks" under trumps name...will the banks still cash the check?  or would that somehow invalidate the check?

If it's not in the signature area, I think you should be good. Might wanna add one more word after sucks :lol:

• Haha 1

It seems to me if the below was implemented,  Bernie's ideas are NOT so far fetched based on current spending realities.  No one is asking "How are you going to pay for it"

Buttttttt that does beg a simple question:  How are we going to pay for this?

Coronavirus Relief: Proposed Bill Would Give Americans $2,000 A Month During Pandemic

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/04/15/emergency-money-for-the-people-act-stimulus-bill/

Two House Democrats have introduced legislation that would give millions of Americans $2,000 per month during the coronavirus pandemic.
The new bill is called the Emergency Money for the People Act.

It was introduced by Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, and Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif.

In a press release, Congressman Ryan says:

“The economic impact of this virus is unprecedented for our country. As millions of Americans file for unemployment week over week, we have to work quickly to patch the dam – and that means putting cash in the hands of hard-working families.”
The act would expand relief to more Americans and includes a $2,000 monthly payment to every qualifying American over the age of 16 until employment returns to pre-COVID-19 levels.

“A one-time, twelve hundred dollar check isn’t going to cut it,” said Rep. Ro Khanna in a press release. “Americans need sustained cash infusions for the duration of this crisis in order to come out on the other side alive, healthy, and ready to get back to work. Members on both sides of the aisle are finally coming together around the idea of sending money out to people. Rep. Ryan and I are urging leadership to include this bill in the fourth COVID relief package to truly support the American working class.”

Pennsylvania Congressman Mike Doyle was an original co-sponsor of the bill. More than a dozen other members of Congress also support the bill.

Congressman Ryan says the bill also fixes a bug in the CARES Act to ensure college students and adults with disabilities can still receive the payments even if claimed as a dependent.

The Emergency Money for the People Act additionally recognizes that not everyone has a bank or a home address to receive a check – so it allows individuals to get this money through direct deposit, check, pre-paid debit card, or mobile money platforms such as Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal.

Here are the eligibility requirements:

Eligibility:

• Every American adult age 16 and older making less than $130,000 annually would receive at least $2,000 per month.
  • Married couples earning less than $260,000 would receive at least $4,000 per month.
  • Qualifying families with children will receive an additional $500 per child – families will receive funds for up to three children.
  • For example, a married couple making under $260K with 3 kids would receive $5,500 per month.
  • Those who had no earnings, were unemployed, or are currently unemployed would also be eligible.
  • Those who were not eligible in 2019 or 2018 but would be eligible in 2020, could submit at least two consecutive months of paychecks to verify income eligibility.
  • The Emergency Money for the People Act also expands the program to millions more Americans who were excluded from the CARES cash rebates – such as college students and adults with disabilities who are still claimed as a dependent. The individual will receive the payment and their parent or guardian will receive the dependent credit.

Reps. Ryan and Khanna proposed the first cash infusion plan a month ago, which the Administration and Senate Republicans embraced, and was passed into law with the CARES Act.
The Emergency Money for the People Act has been introduced by Rep. Ryan and Rep. Khanna as well as the following Original Co-sponsors: Earl Blumenauer (OR-3), Judy Chu (CA-27), Diana DeGette (CO-1), Mike Doyle (PA-18), Adriano Espaillat (NY-13), Eliot L. Engel (NY-16), Pramila Jayapal (WA-7), Ted Lieu (CA-33), Joe Neguse (CO-2), Mary, Gay Scanlon (PA-5), Darren Soto (FL-9), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Nydia Velázquez (NY-7), Bonnie Watson Coleman (NJ-12), Grace Meng (NY- 6), Alan Lowenthal (CA-47), and Barbara Lee (CA-13).

Just now, teachercd said:

Direct deposit, I saw it was in there by 4am.  

Two friends go theirs as well.  One did not, but I don't remember if he was DD or not, I will ask.

pretty sure the checks are going to arrive later then the direct deposits.   will be a few days before any checks arrive IMO.

Just now, commando said:

pretty sure the checks are going to arrive later then the direct deposits.   will be a few days before any checks arrive IMO.

Just asked him, he did not get his year,  He is not sure if his is DD or not

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

P1131_Glass%20bong%20Ganja.jpg?vid=1&tid

Haha!  No, not into weed.

But I do have an itch to by my first ever electric (I know I know) smoker.

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Got mine today.  Thinking about getting a cheap smoker.

I have way more smokers than a person should have.  This is my favorite for normal sized cooking.  LINK  I made my own, but this is similar.

As for checks, I have three kids from 19-24.  The youngest has received a deposit.  The others haven't.  I'm wondering about if the oldest will get one because she hasn't had to file a tax return for the last couple years.

Anyone have a clue how that works?

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have way more smokers than a person should have.  This is my favorite for normal sized cooking.  LINK  I made my own, but this is similar.

As for checks, I have three kids from 19-24.  The youngest has received a deposit.  The others haven't.  I'm wondering about if the oldest will get one because she hasn't had to file a tax return for the last couple years.

Look into this. They should still qualify as I understand it, but the IRS needs their info.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Look into this. They should still qualify as I understand it, but the IRS needs their info.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

Interesting.

Who is eligible for the Economic Impact Payment?

U.S. citizens or resident aliens who:

• Have a valid Social Security number,
  • Could not be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer, and
  • Had adjusted gross income under certain limits.

All three are treated the same still on our taxes as dependents because they are all still in college.  But, the youngest got a payment and the others haven't.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My daughter is in the same boat. She happens to fall into that gap, going to college and too old for the $500 per kid but possibly hasn't had to file taxes the last 2 years. I heard someone saying they have to get online and fill something out to get theirs. I'll do a little more research if she hasn't received one by the time we do.