Covid-19 Legislation

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Just kinda thinking out loud here. What's a good philosophy for a Democrat House to do when the Senate is Republican and they need the bill to be signed by a Republican president? Do they put as much as possible in the bill and then go negotiate, or do they try to make it slightly closer to what they know will end up getting passed? 

That's the real question here. Maybe they should do the former, in which case they are making a mistake. Or maybe doing the former wouldn't do any good.

And maybe they should do the former just to look good to voters.

Put as much as possible to have a good starting place for negotiations. This bill is the Dem leadership showing how far right they are economically.

While JPMC CEO Dimon seems to have seen the light below, I wonder how many small businesses his bank helped out with the recent stimulus money and how much went to big companies. 

Another question/thought I had:  If this pandemic had hit earlier, would Bernie be the presumptive Dem Nominee now?  Wt the trillions in govt spending, all of a sudden Bernie doesn't look as radical.  

Also, Andrew Yang's proposal of $1000/mo to every American doesn't look as radical either in light of the current situation either.  Of course Bernie's and Andrew's policies would require long term funding while the current situation hopefully will not. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/jamie-dimon-says-coronavirus-crisis-is-wake-up-call-for-a-more-inclusive-economy.html

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said Tuesday in a memo that the coronavirus crisis should be used to build an economy that offers opportunities for “dramatically more people.”

The memo, issued ahead of his bank’s annual shareholder meeting, served as an update to the New York-based lender’s response to the pandemic. Dimon also detailed the steps his firm has taken to support customers and employees since the crisis began two months ago, as well as his thinking about returning employees to work sites.

“It is my fervent hope that we use this crisis as a catalyst to rebuild an economy that creates and sustains opportunity for dramatically more people, especially those who have been left behind for too long,” Dimon said. “The last few months have laid bare the reality that, even before the pandemic hit, far too many people were living on the edge.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

SMH. I just got an update from the lender on my Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan.  It was letting me know that today, June 5th, the PPP Flexibility Act of 2020 was signed into law. I mean that’s great and all but only our federal government would make billions/trillions dollars worth of loans under one set of rules (unclear as they were) and then modify the rules (still unclear and unspecified) of those loans about 2 months later.

I guess I shouldn’t complain as I think they are making the forgiveness rules even easier, so that should be a slam dunk. But it is a little confusing. I thought the forgiveness threshold was already pretty easy and sort of held businesses feet to the fire to make sure the loans would be used primarily for keeping employees working and paid....you know, the purpose of this massive govt spending. Ah well, such is our government.

• Thanks 1