Covid-19 Legislation

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Interesting but... landlords are people too, and if they don't get paid that's a lot more people without apartments.

Yea but how does evicting people right now help anything? Are there gonna be people lining up to pay a security deposit and full rent for all the properties evicted? Empty units don't pay either. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea but how does evicting people right now help anything? Are there gonna be people lining up to pay a security deposit and full rent for all the properties evicted? Empty units don't pay either. 

Didn't say it would help. I want the government to step in and pay the landlords. I don't want everyone making under $75,000 last year to get a $1,200 check. I'm getting a check and I will love cashing it, but I don't need it. I'd much rather they keep people off the streets which will reduce the chance I will lose my job. $75K is the median income in the country. It isn't half the population that is in dire straits. We need to be more targeted towards the ones that really need it. Pay the landlords of the people about to be evicted. I know the CARES Act is doing some of that but I don't think enough.

I'm having trouble getting the exact # but I believe 160 million stimulus checks were sent out. If we assume the average check was $1,000 that's $160 billion. We could pay $1,500 rent per household for 35 million people for 3 months with that. Or $1,500 per household for 17.5 million people for 6 months. Just to give an example of what a more targeted plan might be. My guess is the problem is the GOP doesn't want to just help the poorest people due to which demographics vote for them. They know they have a lot of voters in middle class people who think since they aren't dirt poor that they are kindred spirits with the poor billionaires who are paying too much tax $.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Didn't say it would help. I want the government to step in and pay the landlords. I don't want everyone making under $75,000 last year to get a $1,200 check. I'm getting a check and I will love cashing it, but I don't need it. I'd much rather they keep people off the streets which will reduce the change I will lose my job. $75K is the median income in the country. It isn't half the population that is in dire straits. We need to be more targeted towards the ones that really need it. Pay the landlords of the people about to be evicted. I know the CARES Act is doing some of that but I don't think enough.

I'm having trouble getting the exact # but I believe 160 million stimulus checks were sent out. If we assume the average check was $1,000 that's $160 billion. We could pay $1,500 rent per household for 35 million people for 3 months with that. Or $1,500 per household for 17.5 million people for 6 months. Just to give an example of what a more targeted plan might be. My guess is the problem is the GOP doesn't want to just help the poorest people due to which demographics vote for them. They know they have a lot of voters in middle class people who think since they aren't dirt poor that they are kindred spirits with the poor billionaires who are paying too much tax $.

I have no problem with everyone under 75k getting 1200$. What I have a problem with is 500 billion to corporations directed by Mnunchin and other crap like that. 500 billion could send out those checks nearly 3 times over. Business needs support too but this is all so damn stupid to me. Spend the money, pay everyone to stay home for 8 weeks. Keep business and landlords and utility companies and people funded for 8 weeks then get back to business safely. I know its not quite that simple but I also really don't think it should be as hard as we are making it. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I have no problem with everyone under 75k getting 1200$. What I have a problem with is 500 billion to corporations directed by Mnunchin and other crap like that. 500 billion could send out those checks nearly 3 times over. Business needs support too but this is all so damn stupid to me. Spend the money, pay everyone to stay home for 8 weeks. Keep business and landlords and utility companies and people funded for 8 weeks then get back to business safely. I know its not quite that simple but I also really don't think it should be as hard as we are making it. 

Yes, I agree on all of that except the first sentence. I think the $1,200 is "okay," I just think ideally it should be more targeted. Obviously giving a bunch of $ to companies that don't need it is not targeted. I also saw that in the GOP proposal $8 billion is going towards making military equipment. $8 billion is a small amount compared to the total but politicians can't help being ridiculous.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

img?c=3&cq=256&h=400&m=0&partner=53670&q=80&r=0&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stadiumgoods.com%2Fcdn-cgi%2Fimage%2Ffit%253Dcontain%252Cformat%253Dpng%252Cwidth%253D1000%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2FC%2FJ%2FCJ9716-001_1.png&ups=1&v=3&w=400&s=MJ5yo72rc98FAS52JPzFOfEv
Nike Air Force 1 07 LV8 'Devin Booker' Shoes
Nike Air Force 1 07 LV8 'Devin Booker' Shoes
stadiumgoods.com

Yes, I agree on all of that except the first sentence. I think the $1,200 is "okay," I just think ideally it should be more targeted. Obviously giving a bunch of $ to companies that don't need it is not targeted. I also saw that in the GOP proposal $8 billion is going towards making military equipment. $8 billion is a small amount compared to the total but politicians can't help being ridiculous.

My thing about making it targeted its 2 fold. 1, its a time waster. The money moves faster the less you try to target it. 2, you get into too many situations where some may not need it but others do. 75k isn't that much if you have a family of 4 and you are the only one with an income. Too many scenarios imo to try and target it to lower income because frankly we have the money. If someone making 75k a year gets an extra 1200 they don't need that badly I think its ok. I'm sure they will still put it to use towards something they need. 75k isn't rolling in money. 

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

My thing about making it targeted its 2 fold. 1, its a time waster. The money moves faster the less you try to target it. 2, you get into too many situations where some may not need it but others do. 75k isn't that much if you have a family of 4 and you are the only one with an income. Too many scenarios imo to try and target it to lower income because frankly we have the money. If someone making 75k a year gets an extra 1200 they don't need that badly I think its ok. I'm sure they will still put it to use towards something they need. 75k isn't rolling in money. 

They are already using income and # of kids in the equation, so lowering it doesn’t make it more complicated. Making people apply for fent assistance and putting a lot more $ into that would complicate things but I think it would be worrhwhile.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They are already using income and # of kids in the equation, so lowering it doesn’t make it more complicated. Making people apply for fent assistance and putting a lot more $ into that would complicate things but I think it would be worrhwhile.

It does to a degree. Send the same checks you did last time. How is that not less complicated than changing it? 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

It does to a degree. Send the same checks you did last time. How is that not less complicated than changing it? 

I don’t think they should have used 75k last time. And lowering the cutoff really shouldn’t be a big deal at all. It also lowers the total volume of mistakes. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think they should have used 75k last time. And lowering the cutoff really shouldn’t be a big deal at all. It also lowers the total volume of mistakes. 

We can agree on that but we agree in opposite directions. I don't think it should have been means tested period. I don't understand why there is such a need to target it. If people don't 'need it' tell them to spend it. Its money going into the economy from the consumer all the same.  It doesn't just help the people who really need it, it also helps businesses its being spent at. 

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We can agree on that but we agree in opposite directions. I don't think it should have been means tested period. I don't understand why there is such a need to target it. If people don't 'need it' tell them to spend it. Its money going into the economy from the consumer all the same.  It doesn't just help the people who really need it, it also helps businesses its being spent at. 

Ok then. I could agree with that but then I'd want to lower it to $300 and put the rest of the money into preventing evictions and increasing food assistance.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ok then. I could agree with that but then I'd want to lower it to $300 and put the rest of the money into preventing evictions and increasing food assistance.

I'm close to saying I could get behind that but I would want to make it $75 weekly through the end of the year on reloadable cards. You are probably thinking a 1 time payment of 300 i would want to make it monthly and increase the payout frequency. But none of this is going to happen so its wishful thinking anywau

Forgot to mention I would cut some of the unemployment in favor of money to everyone 

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm close to saying I could get behind that but I would want to make it $75 weekly through the end of the year on reloadable cards. You are probably thinking a 1 time payment of 300 i would want to make it monthly and increase the payout frequency. But none of this is going to happen so its wishful thinking anywau

Forgot to mention I would cut some of the unemployment in favor of money to everyone 

I’d be ok with lowering the extra unemployment $, and if the GOP wanted $200 and the DNC wanted $600, the choice an 8 year old could have come up with was $400 for the next 3 months then see where we are at.

I wouldn’t add it to the checks though. I’d add more for eviction prevention and food stamps.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’d be ok with lowering the extra unemployment $, and if the GOP wanted $200 and the DNC wanted $600, the choice an 8 year old could have come up with was $400 for the next 3 months then see where we are at.

I wouldn’t add it to the checks though. I’d add more for eviction prevention and food stamps.

I'm in favor of this plan. I know its not as easy as it seems but man, it sure doesn't seem to be that hard.