Jump to content
BigRedBuster

Covid-19 Legislation

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I have no problem with everyone under 75k getting 1200$. What I have a problem with is 500 billion to corporations directed by Mnunchin and other crap like that. 500 billion could send out those checks nearly 3 times over. Business needs support too but this is all so damn stupid to me. Spend the money, pay everyone to stay home for 8 weeks. Keep business and landlords and utility companies and people funded for 8 weeks then get back to business safely. I know its not quite that simple but I also really don't think it should be as hard as we are making it. 

 

 

Yes, I agree on all of that except the first sentence. I think the $1,200 is "okay," I just think ideally it should be more targeted. Obviously giving a bunch of $ to companies that don't need it is not targeted. I also saw that in the GOP proposal $8 billion is going towards making military equipment. $8 billion is a small amount compared to the total but politicians can't help being ridiculous.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 
img?c=3&cq=256&h=400&m=0&partner=53670&q=80&r=0&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stadiumgoods.com%2Fcdn-cgi%2Fimage%2Ffit%253Dcontain%252Cformat%253Dpng%252Cwidth%253D1000%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2FC%2FJ%2FCJ9716-001_1.png&ups=1&v=3&w=400&s=MJ5yo72rc98FAS52JPzFOfEv
Nike Air Force 1 07 LV8 'Devin Booker' Shoes
Nike Air Force 1 07 LV8 'Devin Booker' Shoes
stadiumgoods.com
 

 

 

Yes, I agree on all of that except the first sentence. I think the $1,200 is "okay," I just think ideally it should be more targeted. Obviously giving a bunch of $ to companies that don't need it is not targeted. I also saw that in the GOP proposal $8 billion is going towards making military equipment. $8 billion is a small amount compared to the total but politicians can't help being ridiculous.

My thing about making it targeted its 2 fold. 1, its a time waster. The money moves faster the less you try to target it. 2, you get into too many situations where some may not need it but others do. 75k isn't that much if you have a family of 4 and you are the only one with an income. Too many scenarios imo to try and target it to lower income because frankly we have the money. If someone making 75k a year gets an extra 1200 they don't need that badly I think its ok. I'm sure they will still put it to use towards something they need. 75k isn't rolling in money. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

My thing about making it targeted its 2 fold. 1, its a time waster. The money moves faster the less you try to target it. 2, you get into too many situations where some may not need it but others do. 75k isn't that much if you have a family of 4 and you are the only one with an income. Too many scenarios imo to try and target it to lower income because frankly we have the money. If someone making 75k a year gets an extra 1200 they don't need that badly I think its ok. I'm sure they will still put it to use towards something they need. 75k isn't rolling in money. 

 

 

They are already using income and # of kids in the equation, so lowering it doesn’t make it more complicated. Making people apply for fent assistance and putting a lot more $ into that would complicate things but I think it would be worrhwhile.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

They are already using income and # of kids in the equation, so lowering it doesn’t make it more complicated. Making people apply for fent assistance and putting a lot more $ into that would complicate things but I think it would be worrhwhile.

It does to a degree. Send the same checks you did last time. How is that not less complicated than changing it? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

It does to a degree. Send the same checks you did last time. How is that not less complicated than changing it? 

 

 

I don’t think they should have used 75k last time. And lowering the cutoff really shouldn’t be a big deal at all. It also lowers the total volume of mistakes. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I don’t think they should have used 75k last time. And lowering the cutoff really shouldn’t be a big deal at all. It also lowers the total volume of mistakes. 

We can agree on that but we agree in opposite directions. I don't think it should have been means tested period. I don't understand why there is such a need to target it. If people don't 'need it' tell them to spend it. Its money going into the economy from the consumer all the same.  It doesn't just help the people who really need it, it also helps businesses its being spent at. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We can agree on that but we agree in opposite directions. I don't think it should have been means tested period. I don't understand why there is such a need to target it. If people don't 'need it' tell them to spend it. Its money going into the economy from the consumer all the same.  It doesn't just help the people who really need it, it also helps businesses its being spent at. 

 

 

Ok then. I could agree with that but then I'd want to lower it to $300 and put the rest of the money into preventing evictions and increasing food assistance.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

Ok then. I could agree with that but then I'd want to lower it to $300 and put the rest of the money into preventing evictions and increasing food assistance.

I'm close to saying I could get behind that but I would want to make it $75 weekly through the end of the year on reloadable cards. You are probably thinking a 1 time payment of 300 i would want to make it monthly and increase the payout frequency. But none of this is going to happen so its wishful thinking anywau

 

Forgot to mention I would cut some of the unemployment in favor of money to everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm close to saying I could get behind that but I would want to make it $75 weekly through the end of the year on reloadable cards. You are probably thinking a 1 time payment of 300 i would want to make it monthly and increase the payout frequency. But none of this is going to happen so its wishful thinking anywau

 

Forgot to mention I would cut some of the unemployment in favor of money to everyone 

 

 

 

I’d be ok with lowering the extra unemployment $, and if the GOP wanted $200 and the DNC wanted $600, the choice an 8 year old could have come up with was $400 for the next 3 months then see where we are at.

 

I wouldn’t add it to the checks though. I’d add more for eviction prevention and food stamps.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

 

I’d be ok with lowering the extra unemployment $, and if the GOP wanted $200 and the DNC wanted $600, the choice an 8 year old could have come up with was $400 for the next 3 months then see where we are at.

 

I wouldn’t add it to the checks though. I’d add more for eviction prevention and food stamps.

I'm in favor of this plan. I know its not as easy as it seems but man, it sure doesn't seem to be that hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm in favor of this plan. I know its not as easy as it seems but man, it sure doesn't seem to be that hard. 

Exactly, none of it is hard but the a$$h@!es make it hard.  

Share this post


Link to post

The Dems had floated a plan of $2k/mo per qualified adult until the pandemic was over.  I guess that has been dropped as unrealistic or not passable.   Has anyone seen any reports on it?

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...