Athlon Sports take on NU going bowling on 2020..

Not much else football related.  Some good comments about our chances.  Most agree with the fans that if don't have it locked up by Halloween, it could be year 4 without a bowl.....Most do mention losing 4 games by a TD or less......Several mention their opinions are based on JD returning....And healthy AM 1.0 return....

Personally, that schedule is rough.  Throw in a new DL, huge questions at WR, one proven RB etc and it could get rough.  I am thinking 5-7......I did like this little comment.  Have to agree...

If the Huskers can pull six wins out of that schedule, with that roster, Frost should be a Big Ten Coach of the Year candidate.

I like this one as well.......

But if they do, they will have absolutely earned any bid they get.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/nebraska-football-will-cornhuskers-make-bowl-2020

This season will test he character and mettle of this staff and team....

Thoughts?  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Can’t argue with any of those points.  Lots of ?’s on every team, but very glaring in Lincoln especially going into year #3 of the Golden Child’s regime.  O line will be our strength and after that, I really can’t hang my hat on a group, probably DB’s

31 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Can’t argue with any of those points.  Lots of ?’s on every team, but very glaring in Lincoln especially going into year #3 of the Golden Child’s regime.  O line will be our strength and after that, I really can’t hang my hat on a group, probably DB’s

I'd have to agree with you there.  Maybe Lubick will find a way to get our TE's involved.  they could tremendously help in the red zone.

The first seven games we play should all be wins.  (*SHOULD! )   Will we go 7-0?  Probably not.  WIll we win six of the first seven?  Maybe.  If so, we go bowling.   If not we'll have to find a way to win one of the last four games.  The last four games is a brutal stretch.  But hey, it could happen.  

I think we'll go bowling.  Just a gut feeling that this is the year it clicks, and Frost gets us playing like a team.    

• Plus1 2

I think we go bowling - If AM is back to his 1st season form or better.  I think the run game will be better wt a better OL and more horses in the stable.  WR - should improve with the new recruits but we need JD back for sure.  Defense - I hope our DL gels together - we'll need them badly to improve.  DBs will be the strength of the D I think.

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think we go bowling - If AM is back to his 1st season form or better.  I think the run game will be better wt a better OL and more horses in the stable.  WR - should improve with the new recruits but we need JD back for sure.  Defense - I hope our DL gels together - we'll need them badly to improve.  DBs will be the strength of the D I think.

I am really hoping that with Austin as the run game coordinator, we will see a much improved run game.  Hoping that and the OL will be able to pound on teams much more so than in previous years.....Really hoping JD is back.

3 hours ago, NUance said:

The first seven games we play should all be wins.  (*SHOULD! )   Will we go 7-0?  Probably not.  WIll we win six of the first seven?  Maybe.  If so, we go bowling.   If not we'll have to find a way to win one of the last four games.  The last four games is a brutal stretch.  But hey, it could happen.  

I think we'll go bowling.  Just a gut feeling that this is the year it clicks, and Frost gets us playing like a team.    

I see us losing at least two of the first seven games ... and won't be surprised if we are 4-3.  

For me, I'm actually becoming a bit irritated with the view that we have a brutal finish.  It just isn't true to me anymore.  Our overall schedule wouldn't even come in the Top 25 for difficulty.  

My take is that when we get to those final five games, I think:

OSU is probably ranked #3

Penn St is probably ranked #12

Iowa is not ranked [3 losses]

Wisky is probably ranked #20 [2 losses], have App St which will be interesting      

Minny is probably ranked #22 [2 losses] 

What makes that schedule tough is that we are not that good.  Back in the Big 8, we would have looked at the OSU game as a good test/warm up for next weeks game with Penn St., in fact, the OSU game would be a sleeper game to watch out for.  Iowa, Wisky and Minny and would be cake walks.  Iowa might catch us because we were trying to get healed up that week.

I realize that that is the past ... but in this next season, we don't really play anyone of difficulty those first seven games.  The only teams that will be better than us is in terms of recruiting is OSU and Penn St.  We will make everything else interesting because we won't be that good [not that Iowa, Wisky and Minny actually are].  I don't see any of these three teams ranked high when we play them ... but after they play us we will pad their win column as they move the rankings on our shoulders.

Sure hope my negative view gets put to bed this next year ... I hope.  I don't see us in a bowl again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Toe said:

I feel like some people are overlooking Cincinnati. In case anyone missed it, Cinci is preseason #17 and probably the top G5 team.

Probably, but in year 3 of coaching a team with the resources/recruiting success we have you shouldn't be losing to any G5 team. Will we? Quite possibly. I would not be surprised. But I don't think it should be painted as a game we shouldn't win.

We have a lot more talent, and in your 3rd year working with players there aren't any "they've built their program and we're still doing that" excuses. Cincy has been more stable and I think Fickell is a good coach, but we've had enough time and have enough talent that it's squarely in the 'should win' category for me.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Probably, but in year 3 of coaching a team with the resources/recruiting success we have you shouldn't be losing to any G5 team. Will we? Quite possibly. I would not be surprised. But I don't think it should be painted as a game we shouldn't win.

We have a lot more talent, and in your 3rd year working with players there aren't any "they've built their program and we're still doing that" excuses. Cincy has been more stable and I think Fickell is a good coach, but we've had enough time and have enough talent that it's squarely in the 'should win' category for me.

Hell, I am nervous about SDSU.  It took AA to beat McNeese St........

As to the back 5 being brutal, IIRC they all finished top 15 last year....That's pretty rough.  Even without the rankings, I haven't seen NU do anything yet to make me think we can beat those teams yet.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

For a team to change outsiders perceptions a marquee win is necessary in consecutive years and at higher rankings with each marquee win. 2020 that could start by winning 7 with the marquee win being Wisky or Iowa. In 2021 an 8 win season with the win being Michigan (at home btw) and then 2022, making the B1G championship by getting that marquee win against OU at home or Wisky (on the road)...

The important thing is, consecutive "marquee" wins to silence the doubters and build confidence. As it is now, our beloved husker program doesn't have a win to hang our hats on. Let's start filling up the hat rack this year and then consecutive years!

• Plus1 1