CB Malik Williams

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

31 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Williams commit?

• Nebraska
    • Florida
    • Florida State

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Majority 

I'm sure the rest of the conference is shaking at the thought of Frost recruiting *checks ratings* players with a .83 rating.

In all seriousness, we unfortunately have to hope that Frost has the chance and ability to develop these players. This class is a huge blow to Nebraska's chance to win our division, let alone the conference.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm sure the rest of the conference is shaking at the thought of Frost recruiting *checks ratings* players with a .83 rating.

In all seriousness, we unfortunately have to hope that Frost has the chance and ability to develop these players. This class is a huge blow to Nebraska's chance to win our division, let alone the conference.

Yeah. There is still time but this class compared to 2019 and 2020 shows why a winning season has to happen this year. Especially with the local talent in 22. Got to show some progress.

With a majority of recruits not expecting football for another year, it is not a surprise that kids might be hesitant to commit to a school half a country away.  

No hurry really.  I expect a bunch of shuffling around as time passes.  Most kids likely wont play their final year in H S and families would be cautious too.  

With so many events cancelled ratings are suspect as well. I dont think one should be too quick to judge recruiting.  

41 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Don't really understand why folks are down on this class. Watching all these kids videos and I see why the staff offered, and believe this class is very underated. Remember some of these kids would have got a ratings bump if there were camps or a senior season.

Because we aren't looking at it through rose colored glasses while working on our sixth glass of Kool-aid, to put it nicely. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Don't really understand why folks are down on this class. Watching all these kids videos and I see why the staff offered, and believe this class is very underated. Remember some of these kids would have got a ratings bump if there were camps or a senior season.

I too feel there is some unfair projection on what this class will offer down the road (Even though it's not over), and Nebraska's ability to compete at least within the division. No it might not have the star power of its succeeding classes, but we are also deprived of our most valuable asset in recruiting, on campus visits due to the pandemic. No we don't have a 10-2 regular season to help alleviate things like Minnesota or Wisconsin in a situation like this(Even thought they both recruit a bit different than we do), but I also think we can get much more out of a strong season than all our divisional counterparts.

I don't think we are all that far off from showing tangible improvement, call me crazy, but Nebraska's 4-7 and 5-7 seasons are the result of finite things that can be fixed. Last year I can only think of a couple games where Nebraska looked like they didn't belong on the field with the other team(Might even debate one). Every other game was a mistake here, a mistake there and all of a sudden you're staring at a loss. 

All in all, taking a step back on paper and not signing a sexy class isnt the worst thing in the world, especially when we can't use the visit experience, long as the signees get developed and can fit within the team's framework. We have solid options at LB, OL, RB, WR and QB that aren't going to be counted on to produce right away(That's for the '19 and '20 class to do) and we're almost never guaranteed to undersign like Pelini constantly did or in Riley's '16 class. Now if we're still recruiting top 30 classes after this cycle, with the benefit of vists, then I might agree with some here, but we don't need top 15-20 classes to get to Indy, we do to legitimately challenge OSU(Not hoping for them to have an off game or them overestimating their opposing team because they beat them earlier in the the year) and have a shot at the CFP, but not to beat Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue imho.

Apologies for the long post.

• Plus1 4

38 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

I too feel there is some unfair projection on what this class will offer down the road (Even though it's not over), and Nebraska's ability to compete at least within the division. No it might not have the star power of its succeeding classes, but we are also deprived of our most valuable asset in recruiting, on campus visits due to the pandemic. No we don't have a 10-2 regular season to help alleviate things like Minnesota or Wisconsin in a situation like this(Even thought they both recruit a bit different than we do), but I also think we can get much more out of a strong season than all our divisional counterparts.

I don't think we are all that far off from showing tangible improvement, call me crazy, but Nebraska's 4-7 and 5-7 seasons are the result of finite things that can be fixed. Last year I can only think of a couple games where Nebraska looked like they didn't belong on the field with the other team(Might even debate one). Every other game was a mistake here, a mistake there and all of a sudden you're staring at a loss. 

All in all, taking a step back on paper and not signing a sexy class isnt the worst thing in the world, especially when we can't use the visit experience, long as the signees get developed and can fit within the team's framework. We have solid options at LB, OL, RB, WR and QB that aren't going to be counted on to produce right away(That's for the '19 and '20 class to do) and we're almost never guaranteed to undersign like Pelini constantly did or in Riley's '16 class. Now if we're still recruiting top 30 classes after this cycle, with the benefit of vists, then I might agree with some here, but we don't need top 15-20 classes to get to Indy, we do to legitimately challenge OSU(Not hoping for them to have an off game or them overestimating their opposing team because they beat them earlier in the the year) and have a shot at the CFP, but not to beat Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue imho.

Apologies for the long post.

I would agree.  Not to mention we haven't exactly had the greatest success with high profile commits in the secondary recently (Francois, Gray-I know, covid and extenuating circumstances).  My point is I would rather recruit someone that needs developing and will be here for 4 years (assuming it's not a wasted scholly on a non-contributor), than a high star guy who doesn't even make it to the season or transfers after a year.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I would agree.  Not to mention we haven't exactly had the greatest success with high profile commits in the secondary recently (Francois, Gray-I know, covid and extenuating circumstances).  My point is I would rather recruit someone that needs developing and will be here for 4 years (assuming it's not a wasted scholly on a non-contributor), than a high star guy who doesn't even make it to the season or transfers after a year.

So you are assuming the four star will transfer but then assuming the lesser prospect will develop into a player, talk about creating a scenario that fits your narrative. 

Oh well, i'll continue to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt because of the job he's done since he's got here but there are some ins/outs that confuse me.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

So you are assuming the four star will transfer but then assuming the lesser prospect will develop into a player, talk about creating a scenario that fits your narrative. 

Oh well, i'll continue to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt because of the job he's done since he's got here but there are some ins/outs that confuse me.

Typically speaking, the more high profile players are more prima-donna's and more apt to transfer, especially if they don't get immediate playing time.  IMO.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think that aspect is important to allow Nebraska to have a complete roster that lacks holes. Since being in the B1G, we've been guilty of retaining players for their entire eligibility even though they were never going to significantly contribute, I can look at most of these kids and see their potential down the line. If they don't reach their projection, they will be eventually asked to move on, which is different from other staffs. If it's a non 4 star prospect that turns out to be a starter by their RS So season I'm good with that. I feel if Nebraska had it's way, it would employ a mix of RS Jrs and Srs and talented true Sophomores and Freshmen as contributors.

As for the 4 star DBs, once we start winning they will come even more abundantly and stay for that matter. My philosophy is, you don't need them to reach Indy but you do need them to win that 1st Saturday of December. It's been proven time and time again.

2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Typically speaking, the more high profile players are more prima-donna's and more apt to transfer, especially if they don't get immediate playing time.  IMO.

Would agree here. In HS they had options and likely feel the same way. It usually gets better if the program is winning big bowls and sending players to the NFL, so waiting their turn is justified in their mind.

• Mavric changed the title to CB Malik Williams
  • Mavric pinned this topic