CB Malik Williams

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

31 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Williams commit?

• Nebraska
    • Florida
    • Florida State

This poll is closed to new votes

Its always fun to talk about stars and all things being equal I like reading all the positive reports and hearsay about prospects.   But I really feel good about the commits we have so far.   I prefer kids with heart over gaudy measurables.  I feel heart is the biggest single ingredient that may be somewhat lacking in recent Husker teams overall.  Certainly not all players but as a team we need tougher, more energetic, determined effort at the key times.  When the going gets tough, the tough get going - we need to find those types of players as much as anything else.  Give me three stars with “the hunger” and that really want to play for and be Nebraska students.  

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Typically speaking, the more high profile players are more prima-donna's and more apt to transfer, especially if they don't get immediate playing time.  IMO.

On a similar note, and from the reports, it seems we have hit on Farmer and Pola-Gates at safety (as much as you can 'hit' on two players who haven't seen any action :B)). Some speculation but Jones, Gray and Francois may have thought they'd be handed a starting spot after a year on an up-and-coming team but have seen the writing on the wall... just my 2 cents or red colored glasses. 

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Its always fun to talk about stars and all things being equal I like reading all the positive reports and hearsay about prospects.   But I really feel good about the commits we have so far.   I prefer kids with heart over gaudy measurables.  I feel heart is the biggest single ingredient that may be somewhat lacking in recent Husker teams overall.  Certainly not all players but as a team we need tougher, more energetic, determined effort at the key times.  When the going gets tough, the tough get going - we need to find those types of players as much as anything else.  Give me three stars with “the hunger” and that really want to play for and be Nebraska students.  

I agree that Nebraska has not shown much heart, outside of the Iowa games at least.

I am concerned, however, that Nebraska is using this class to develop most players. Nebraska hasn't done a good job of developing 4 star players, and hasn't developed any of its 3 star players in years.

I don't know how many Nebraska players have made it on First, Second or Third All-Conference teams, but it's not many. Trying to emulate Iowa and Wisconsin by turning 3 star players into NFL prospects is a big gamble by Frost & Co.

A gamble that seemed to work a UCF - loads of those guys playing in the NFL and it wasn’t like they were recruiting with the Bamas and Clemsons of the world. 

At least at Nebraska (and the roster flipping that had to be done), I’d say the pass applies to year 1&2. Need to see development of players this year, and I think we will.

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We have pushed the "heart" narrative for a damn decade. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Typically speaking, the more high profile players are more prima-donna's and more apt to transfer, especially if they don't get immediate playing time.  IMO.

I respect your opinion and you could be right. But also typically speaking, the lower level prospects are more likely to be "dead weight" for 4-5yrs never contributing....which is just as damaging. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

I respect your opinion and you could be right. But also typically speaking, the lower level prospects are more likely to be "dead weight" for 4-5yrs never contributing....which is just as damaging. 

Agreed. Need players pushing for positions in order to be successful. Don't need any more Tony Butler-esque players.

21 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

To that point, unlike LSU's D Coordinator and his staff, I feel this staff will over recruit its roster. Which will force those that are dead weight to move on. Whereas BP allowed kids that didn't contribute stay on scholarship. He also routinely did not fill his classes. This staff is almost always going to take its maximum scholarship allotment every cycle(+3 included).

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't know how many Nebraska players have made it on First, Second or Third All-Conference teams, but it's not many. Trying to emulate Iowa and Wisconsin by turning 3 star players into NFL prospects is a big gamble by Frost & Co.

I don't think it is a "gamble" by Frost and company as much as it is, "the only option available currently."  It is not like they are displaying a lack of recruiting effort. They are busting a$$ trying to bring in talent, but the fact remains, the talent isn't interested at this time.  The next best move is to pray your evaluation on developmental players is best in the league and woo those guys in over the other mid tier programs in the nation. I'm sure if they could target and reliably land a lot fewer 4 and 5 stars guys, they wouldn't choose this 3 star developmental player "gamble."

3 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Because we aren't looking at it through rose colored glasses while working on our sixth glass of Kool-aid, to put it nicely. 

So what are these kids lacking that makes you think they aren't legit? And if an Alabama or Clemson came with an offer to any of them, would it be water under the bridge if they decommitted?

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

So what are these kids lacking that makes you think they aren't legit? And if an Alabama or Clemson came with an offer to any of them, would it be water under the bridge if they decommitted?

Nobody is saying they need a Clemson or Bama offer to be considered a good talent. There comes a point in time where you have to stop taking lower players and labeling them diamonds in the rough because 9/10 they just aren't. It is the reality of it. People piss and moan to not look at stars and rankings and then show a handful of players who were successful despite their ranking, but the majority flame out.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree that Nebraska has not shown much heart, outside of the Iowa games at least.

I am concerned, however, that Nebraska is using this class to develop most players. Nebraska hasn't done a good job of developing 4 star players, and hasn't developed any of its 3 star players in years.

Typically the top three by position make those All Conf teams.  NU has not had many of those for a long time and few since joining Big Ten.  Winning conf games at more than 35% of the time will help as teams who wins titles get more pics by the voters who choose them.   Talent has been middle of the pack mostly.  This is slowly improving but will take years to do broadly.  Winning more will change this in a couple years. 

• Mavric changed the title to CB Malik Williams
  • Mavric pinned this topic