Bill Moos wants new revenue streams - maybe including alcohol at games

Trim the expendable staff who don't make a lot of money because the $50+ million a year in TV revenue isn't enough to go around, and we can't be reducing the pay of the millionaire 1% staff. Obviously neither is a real option. 

Note: I'm only responding to language of the bullet point haven't read through the article. We've basically been printing money the last few years, and we might need to lay people off? 

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, Landlord said:

Trim the expendable staff who don't make a lot of money because the $50+ million a year in TV revenue isn't enough to go around, and we can't be reducing the pay of the millionaire 1% staff. Obviously neither is a real option. 

Note: I'm only responding to language of the bullet point haven't read through the article. We've basically been printing money the last few years, and we might need to lay people off? 

I get it but if they look over the people that work in the offices and find that there are some that really are not needed, well, what is wrong with eliminating positions that are not needed?

Say you ran a business and you started off with two receptionists but after a year you realized that you didn't need two of them, that one was plenty.  What would you do?

Not everything is evil, not everything is a boss sitting in his ivory tower stroking his moustache as he thinks about who to fire for no reason.

• Plus1 4

The chance of fall football is probably less than 50% at this point.  If the virus is not under near full control (i.e. an actual vaccine in full use combine with herd immunity above 65% etc), I dont see large crowds being allowed before June 1 2021.   And treatment with meds for new infections that is proven and mass testing of nearly all vulnerable people in the coutry).  International travel ban will last a lot longer still.  

Moos has no real options but cutting payroll.   Presumably he cant scholarship funding so he and his high dollar employees are going to have to waive about 80% of their salaries and he will have to put hourly folks in the unemployment lines like most other organizations across society.   TV money will end without games (except reruns maybe?).  He probably has nothing to justify big loans from banks or other sources without assets or secure revenue sources to pledge.   Moos is in a very bad place and absent donors with Buffet sized pocketbooks (his isnt as big as it was lol), NU athletic budget is in DEEP hole.   

On 3/28/2020 at 11:11 AM, teachercd said:

Not everything is evil, not everything is a boss sitting in his ivory tower stroking his moustache as he thinks about who to fire for no reason.

I agree, but to @Landlord's point, the AD posted a $6.6 million profit in 2018 and a $12 million profit in 2019. The somewhat generic statement of a 'several multi-million dollar' hit makes it difficult to put into context, so I think its fair to ask what that really means.

Of course, I don't think it takes a mathematical genius to look at the landscape of 2020 and think that turning a profit could be a struggle even for Nebraska. Moos can't just sit back with his fingers crossed. And this is a team coming off three straight losing seasons. I count myself among the group of people who is experiencing some waning interest and I'm not as inclined as I once was to spend money on Nebraska.

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree, but to @Landlord's point, the AD posted a $6.6 million profit in 2018 and a $12 million profit in 2019. The somewhat generic statement of a 'several multi-million dollar' hit makes it difficult to put into context, so I think its fair to ask what that really means.

Of course, I don't think it takes a mathematical genius to look at the landscape of 2020 and think that turning a profit could be a struggle even for Nebraska. Moos can't just sit back with his fingers crossed. And this is a team coming off three straight losing seasons. I count myself among the group of people who is experiencing some waning interest and I'm not as inclined as I once was to spend money on Nebraska.

Every year, around August I would get some new Husker gear.  I don't do that anymore.  I go to Lincoln maybe once a year but I don't buy tickets.  I totally spend less now.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I agree, but to @Landlord's point, the AD posted a $6.6 million profit in 2018 and a $12 million profit in 2019. The somewhat generic statement of a 'several multi-million dollar' hit makes it difficult to put into context, so I think its fair to ask what that really means.

I guess what people are not taking into account is this conversation is based on the fact that we may not have a 2020 season and that will be a 100+ million dollar loss...

43 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I guess what people are not taking into account is this conversation is based on the fact that we may not have a 2020 season and that will be a 100+ million dollar loss...

This conversation is about alternative revenue streams including selling alcohol.

So we're gonna serve  beer at the games we aren't going to play?

3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

its to find revenue streams for LOST revenue... maybe try and read the article....

That wasn't the only potential for lost revenue talked about in the article. 

There has already been lost revenue.  No spring game.  Reduction in payment from the NCAA.  They are considering ways to make that up.  They are also looking into ways to compensate for a shortened season or not having fans at games.  

Completely cancelling the 2020 season is not the only thing that can be or is being considered.  Perhaps you should take your own advice and have a more conversational tone.

• Plus1 1

Instead of asking for more money, how about we the fans get something nice for once.  Husker fans have not had a ton to cheer for outside of Volleyball this past decade.  Why not give us actual stadium seating at Memorial (don't care if our capacity number drops a bit)?  

Untitled.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Mavric said:

That wasn't the only potential for lost revenue talked about in the article. 

There has already been lost revenue.  No spring game.  Reduction in payment from the NCAA.  They are considering ways to make that up.  They are also looking into ways to compensate for a shortened season or not having fans at games.  

Completely cancelling the 2020 season is not the only thing that can be or is being considered.  Perhaps you should take your own advice and have a more conversational tone.

My tone was just fine and I didnt say that was the only lost stream... Maybe you should go to the source...

On 3/30/2020 at 7:28 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

, The chance of fall football is probably less than 50% at this point.  If the virus is not under near full control (i.e. an actual vaccine in full use combine with herd immunity above 65% etc), I dont see large crowds being allowed before June 1 2021.   And treatment with meds for new infections that is proven and mass testing of nearly all vulnerable people in the coutry).  International travel ban will last a lot longer still.  

Moos has no real options but cutting payroll.   Presumably he cant scholarship funding so he and his high dollar employees are going to have to waive about 80% of their salaries and he will have to put hourly folks in the unemployment lines like most other organizations across society.   TV money will end without games (except reruns maybe?).  He probably has nothing to justify big loans from banks or other sources without assets or secure revenue sources to pledge.   Moos is in a very bad place and absent donors with Buffet sized pocketbooks (his isnt as big as it was lol), NU athletic budget is in DEEP hole.   

I think it’s to early to tell.  Lots of new treatments may be available as early as the next 2-4 weeks.  Testing should be more widely available as well as antibody testing.  Also looking like an outside hope is a vaccine may be available by the fall.  I think one way to do it is to play without crowds.  If kids are on campus, they should be allowed to compete.  Crowds are also something that can be analyzed differently, check temps, wear masks, etc....it’s not just a game, the economic fallout by cancelling football would destroy downtown Lincoln as well as countless other college towns.  I agree they are talking about plans, which is good, however it’s 4-5 months from today and hopefully looks much different.

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

I think it’s to early to tell.  Lots of new treatments may be available as early as the next 2-4 weeks.  Testing should be more widely available as well as antibody testing.  Also looking like an outside hope is a vaccine may be available by the fall.  I think one way to do it is to play without crowds.  If kids are on campus, they should be allowed to compete.  Crowds are also something that can be analyzed differently, check temps, wear masks, etc....it’s not just a game, the economic fallout by cancelling football would destroy downtown Lincoln as well as countless other college towns.  I agree they are talking about plans, which is good, however it’s 4-5 months from today and hopefully looks much different.

player safety from both a virus risk as well as comditioning / training standpoint would be at risk if “the all clear” is not in place by July 1 I’d say.   School is in serious question as well.  

As of the NY Times numbers from this morning there are 173,700 diagnosed/reported cases nationally with 3,433 deaths.   There is no doubt countless thousands more unidentified current infected in addition.  A much bigger number of people who had the virus with little or no symptoms  and recovered already.  I don't know but I’d guess that there could be as many as ten times the diagnosed number (perhaps 1.3 million).   

This tells me there remain another 348 million of the total population of approx 350 million left to go.  And hopefully those who have survived it can’t get it again AND are not carriers indefinitely.  

Either we do find a cure that’s fast and easy or a preventative vaccine soon or the world is in great peril for the forseeable future.   I hate to be a doomsayer but???   Miracles can happen.