Greatest Moment in Husker Football History - Non-Bowl, Non-Devaney/Osborne Region

Greatest Moment in Husker Football History  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Non-Bowl Games - Round of 32

• 1 - Defeating the Four Horsemen
    • 8 - Defeating Red Grange
  2. 2. Non-Bowl Games - Round of 32

• 4 - Ending the Sooners' Winning Streak
    • 5 - Making a Comeback for the Ages
  3. 3. Non-Bowl Games - Round of 32

• 3 - Avenging a Loss to Texas
    • 6 - Stunning the Gophers
  4. 4. Non-Bowl Games - Round of 32

• 2 - Black 41 Flash Reverse
    • 7 - Clinching a Division Title with Purify Catch

This poll is closed to new votes

Huskers.com is running a series of Twitter votes to determine the greatest moment in Husker football history.

You can vote on Twitter if you like.  But what does HuskerBoard say?

Vote in Non-Bowl, Non-Devaney/Osborne Region above.  Vote for the other regions in associated threads.

TOP NON-BOWL GAMES: PRE/POST DEVANEY/OSBORNE REGION

No. 1: Defeating the Four Horsemen
Notre Dame’s famed “Four Horsemen” – Harry Stuhldreher, James Crowley, Don Miller and Elmer Layden – lost only two of the 30 games they played together, and both losses came to Nebraska – 14-6 in 1922, and 14-7 in 1923, both games in Lincoln.

VS

No. 8: Defeating Red Grange
Three-time Illinois All-American Harold “Red” Grange scored a touchdown in 19 of 20 games he played. Nebraska was the only team to hold Grange scoreless in a 14-0 upset of the Illini in 1925 in Urbana, Illinois. Frank Dailey and John Rhodes scored the Huskers’ touchdowns.

-----------------------------------------------------

No. 4: Ending the Sooners’ Winning Streak
On Halloween in Lincoln in 1959, Nebraska, a decisive underdog to Oklahoma, shocked the Sooners 25-21 to end their 74-game conference winning streak. Students stormed the field and tore down the goal posts for the first time in Memorial Stadium history, and Chancellor Clifford Hardin canceled Monday’s classes to celebrate. Nebraska finished the year 4-6.

VS

No. 5: Making a Comeback for the Ages
Nebraska’s Big Ten Conference home debut in 2011 wasn’t going well. A so-so Ohio State team led 27-6 on a rainy night in Lincoln. Then LaVonte David saved the day, and maybe the season. The All-American linebacker stripped and recovered a fumble that led to a touchdown, and momentum swung, as Nebraska completed its largest comeback in school history with a 34-27 victory.

No. 3 Avenging a Loss to Texas
Nebraska avenged its only loss of the 1999 season by defeating Texas 22-6 in the Big 12 Championship game in San Antonio. Eric Crouch had two touchdown runs, including one of 31 yards in the first quarter, and the Huskers ended a three-game losing skid against Texas, including a 24-20 defeat earlier that season in which Nebraska lost three fumbles in Austin.

VS

No. 6: Stunning the Gophers
Nebraska opened the 1937 season by giving coach Biff Jones a huge upset in his first came as the Huskers’ head coach. Nebraska upset three-time defending national champion Minnesota 14-9 despite gaining only 67 yards of total offense. 

No. 2: Putting “Black 41 Flash Reverse” in the History Books
In another thriller between No. 3 Nebraska and No. 2 Oklahoma, the Huskers led 13-10 in the fourth quarter when coach Frank Solich called for “Black 41 Flash Reverse,” a play for the history books. Senior quarterback Eric Crouch caught the 63-yard pass from freshman Mike Stuntz on the trick play that secured a 20-10 victory, and likely Crouch’s Heisman Trophy.

VS

No.7: Clinching Division Title with Purify Catch
Maurice Purify caught Zac Taylor’s fade pass for a 9-yard touchdown with 21 seconds remaining, and the Huskers defeated Texas A&M 28-27 on the road to secure the Big 12 North Division title. The Aggies led 27-24 and had a chance to put the game away, but Barry Turner blocked a field goal with 1:57 remaining to set up the winning drive.

bracket.jpg

• Mavric changed the title to Greatest Moment in Husker Football History - Non-Bowl, Non-Devaney/Osborne Region

Black 41 Flash Reverse  - probably our last big win and it goes back to 2001. It keep us alive for the NC game which in the end we shouldn't have been in after the Co loss. 

Ending the Sooners win streak - again any day we can beat OU it is a good day and ending their win streak was even sweeter.

The avenging the loss vs Texas is bitter sweet - the '99 team was the best of Solich's teams and really deserved to be NC that year outside of the 3 fumbles lost (one crossing the goal line for what would have been the winning TD) in the earlier game.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Black 41 Flash Reverse  - probably our last big win and it goes back to 2001. It keep us alive for the NC game which in the end we shouldn't have been in after the Co loss. 

Ending the Sooners win streak - again any day we can beat OU it is a good day and ending their win streak was even sweeter.

The avenging the loss vs Texas is bitter sweet - the '99 team was the best of Solich's teams and really deserved to be NC that year outside of the 3 fumbles lost (one crossing the goal line for what would have been the winning TD) in the earlier game.

The great thing about that moment/play is that OU tried running the exact same play earlier and it was a failure.  We ran it to perfection.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The great thing about that moment/play is that OU tried running the exact same play earlier and it was a failure.  We ran it to perfection.

Yep, was that the play their QB got hurt on?  I cannot remember.   But it has become one of the all time great Husker highlight video

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, was that the play their QB got hurt on?  I cannot remember.   But it has become one of the all time great Husker highlight video

No, the WR just overthrew the QB by a mile.  He was wide open for a TD.  My wife thought it was a cool play.  Then, when we ran it successfully, I was so excited that I couldn't talk and I couldn't tell her why I was so excited so she could be excited too.  Too bad we didn't have DVR back then.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, the WR just overthrew the QB by a mile.  He was wide open for a TD.  My wife thought it was a cool play.  Then, when we ran it successfully, I was so excited that I couldn't talk and I couldn't tell her why I was so excited so she could be excited too.  Too bad we didn't have DVR back then.

Moral of the story: It helps have a QB playing WR for a play like that. 

Reminds me of this play - only he didn't throw it from one of my all time favorite movies:

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Made me choke up again.

Coach in that movie always reminded me of Turner Gill.

Denzel should have won an Oscar for best actor for his performance and Will Patton - supporting actor.  Great musical score plus all of the great 70 tunes.  I never get tired of it.  We watched it again 2 nights ago - I would guess about my 20th time or so.  I've used pieces of it in a Leadership Class I teach as an adjunct.  "Attitude reflects Leadership"

• Plus1 2