NCAA Extends Eligibility For Those Impacted By COVID-19

Some good news!

"Division I rules limit student-athletes to four seasons of competition in a five-year period. The Council’s decision allows schools to self-apply waivers to restore one of those seasons of competition for student-athletes who had competed while eligible in the COVID-19-shortened 2020 spring season."

Should this extend to fall sports (which it will if they are impacted), this will help greatly down the road. 

https://www.1011now.com/content/news/Division-I-Council-extends-eligibility-for-student-athletes-impacted-by-COVID-19-569233991.html

• Plus1 2

I'm not that well versed in these matters.  Does this have a negative trickle down effect on graduating high school seniors?  Will scholarshipped players staying for an extra season reduce opportunities for the next class of potential recruits?  Does this waiver include any changes to the scholarship number limits?

13 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I'm not that well versed in these matters.  Does this have a negative trickle down effect on graduating high school seniors?  Will scholarshipped players staying for an extra season reduce opportunities for the next class of potential recruits?  Does this waiver include any changes to the scholarship number limits?

Yes, they indicated they would increase the scholarship limits to account for this for 20-21. I just can't find any explanation as to how you would lower it back to the original amount. 

So if they did this for football and increased the number from 85 to 105, how do you get it back to 85 once this is over? A slow reduction over a number of years I suppose (i.e 100, 95, 90, 85).

26 minutes ago, theknife said:

Yes, they indicated they would increase the scholarship limits to account for this for 20-21. I just can't find any explanation as to how you would lower it back to the original amount. 

So if they did this for football and increased the number from 85 to 105, how do you get it back to 85 once this is over? A slow reduction over a number of years I suppose (i.e 100, 95, 90, 85).

I think the initial reports were just not very precise in their wording.  I think what they are actually doing is any senior who is coming back for the extra year is just not going to count against the scholarship limit.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the initial reports were just not very precise in their wording.  I think what they are actually doing is any senior who is coming back for the extra year is just not going to count against the scholarship limit.

So you're saying we need bet the farm and load up on graduate transfers before the NCAA cancels the season?! Mav, you're a genius!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always wanted to see the NCAA change a couple eligibility / scholarship rules so that:

1.   schools should get 10 additional scholarships that are strictly used for third / fourth year walkons only.  

2.    five years eligibility with four being by scholarship.  

And now add one more:

3.    One only transfer to any other school but only after freshman year or after graduation.  

Curious what opinions are to these changes.  

Students expected to graduate from high school in time to enroll in a Division I school for the 2020-21 academic year will be academically eligible by earning a 2.3 grade-point average in 10 NCAA-approved core courses, with a combined seven courses in English, math and science, by the start of their seventh semester in high school (prior to senior year). These criteria do not require a standardized test score and will not apply to students who are expected to graduate after spring or summer 2020.

Students also could qualify using the normal Division I standard for practice, competition and athletics aid (16 core courses with at least a 2.3 GPA and a test score that matches their SAT or ACT score) or Division II standard (16 core courses with at least a 2.2 GPA and a test score that matches their SAT or ACT score).

Additionally, the Eligibility Center will modify its approach to schools that issue pass/fail grades due to school closures. Ordinarily, a “pass” on a student’s transcript is awarded the school’s lowest passing grade, most often a D, and is assigned 1.0 quality points.

For courses completed in spring and summer 2020 with a “pass” grade, the Eligibility Center will apply the credit earned in those courses toward the core-course requirement. If the core GPA would increase by assigning a value of 2.3 (the minimum GPA to qualify to compete in Division I), that value will be assigned to passed courses. If the 2.3 mark would decrease the student’s overall GPA, the core-course GPA will be calculated based only on courses with assigned letter grades from other available terms. This policy will apply to students from all grade levels who have pass/fail grades in NCAA-approved core courses in spring and summer 2020 due to the COVID-19 response.