We're #1

I was against nearly every firing.  Mostly because I thought we could "fix" the fault(s) of each coach.  I guess I'm one of those guys who thinks it's easier to fix something than to burn it down and start over.  

That said, even though I opposed the firings, I liked each coaching hire we ended up making.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, NUance said:

I was against nearly every firing.  Mostly because I thought we could "fix" the fault(s) of each coach.  I guess I'm one of those guys who thinks it's easier to fix something than to burn it down and start over.  

That said, even though I opposed the firings, I liked each coaching hire we ended up making.  

Even Riley?  I'm trying to be neutral here but its really tough to justify that hiring, both at the time and in hindsight.  30 year coach with a .500 record and his claim to fame is he's nice

• Plus1 3

17 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Even Riley?  I'm trying to be neutral here but its really tough to justify that hiring, both at the time and in hindsight.  30 year coach with a .500 record and his claim to fame is he's nice

Yeah, even Riley.  Don't get me wrong.  I thought Scott Frost would be a great hire.  But I thought Riley could be fixed. 

Instead of paying SF's rather large salary plus Riley's buyout we could have spent an extra $1.5 million on each side of the ball to hire the best offensive and defensive coordinators and assistant coaches that money can buy.  We would have gotten a top OC and DC for that kind of coin.  

Riley was fairly low paid for a Power Five head coach.  We were paying him $2.9 million.  Riley could have taken the lead in recruiting and media relations as a CEO type coach.  And we could have afforded a very high paid staff of assistants to do the coaching.  

But instead we're paying Riley buyout money which costs the taxpayers of Nebraska a small fortune and does our program absolutely zero good.    

/jmho

26 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I didn’t think Riley was the answer but eichorst and pearlman really inserted themselves where they didn’t belong.  Forcing the diaco hiring when banker had shown good improvement yoy was mind boggling.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I agree - probably the worse coach hire that I can think of for any blue blood program.  It really was an underestimation of our program  potential to hire such an underwhelming coach.  Granted he was the 'anti-Bo' but there were probably a lot of anti-Bo candidates who were more qualified. 

What is amazing is that some of the coaches had contract extensions the year prior.  College coaching is the only gig I know of where one can get fired and get paid handsomely for being fired. It seems the full risk is on the Univ and not on the coach.

Let's remember this started wt the firing of Frank.  Let's hope the Solich curse has been squashed when we honored him last fall. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, NUance said:

Yeah, even Riley.  Don't get me wrong.  I thought Scott Frost would be a great hire.  But I thought Riley could be fixed. 

Instead of paying SF's rather large salary plus Riley's buyout we could have spent an extra $1.5 million on each side of the ball to hire the best offensive and defensive coordinators and assistant coaches that money can buy.  We would have gotten a top OC and DC for that kind of coin.  

Riley was fairly low paid for a Power Five head coach.  We were paying him $2.9 million.  Riley could have taken the lead in recruiting and media relations as a CEO type coach.  And we could have afforded a very high paid staff of assistants to do the coaching.  

But instead we're paying Riley buyout money which costs the taxpayers of Nebraska a small fortune and does our program absolutely zero good.    

/jmho

It actually cost the taxpayers zero dollars.  The football program is self sustaining, even carrying water for all but 3-4 other sports teams at Nebraska.  Men’s bb, I believe men’s baseball, and the volleyball team was just added a yr or two ago carry their own.  Not only that but the football revenue actually gives back to the university in a form of an academic scholarship or at least did at one time.  Again, ZERO public funding or taxpayer dollars.  Academic and athletic departments are managed 100% separately.

• Plus1 2

44 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

As for football, thanks Shawn Eichorst!! Ya really outdid yourself, you should be the one accepting this trophy on behalf of us all

Firing Bo was the right decision. Hiring Riley wasn't...., but then again, most coaching hires end up failing. And despite the new lows on the field, I won't ever hold anything against Riley. He came in to do his best, he tried making aggressive moves, he handled himself and his program with integrity and kindness and embodied "not the victory; but the action" and he led us very well through the passing of Foltz. 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, NUance said:

/jmho

In addition to the last point from  @N is for nowledge

The buyout money for Riley is basically a sunk cost the moment he signs the contract. He either succeeds and it doesn't matter,  or you're going to have to pay it regardless.  The only way to avoid that, is to not hire him in the first place. Sure it's possible hiring top flight coordinators might have saved the day, or you might be just adding bigger buyouts for them as well.  The real way to solve the issue is what's being tried currently, hire a winning coach who you can keep.  Money will flow if this program wins again, and all the buyout discussion is water under the bridge.

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Meh, no one cares about men's hoops anyways outside of 3.5 weeks in march and april.

Actually, college hoops and the Final Four Tournament is huge around the country, and tons of fun for alums of the 64 schools that get into the tournament every year. Generates s#!tloads of money, too.

But you do end up saying "meh" when you are the only major conference school never to win an NCAA Tournament game. 

You could also say nobody cares about Women's College Volleyball. But for some reason we do. 

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, NUance said:

No....the money doesn't come from tax payers.

52 minutes ago, NUance said:

I agree.  I was excited about all the hires (yes, even Riley, but admittedly less than the others).  I backed every single one of them till about half way through each of their final year's.  Each one needed to go when they were fired.

• Plus1 2