Hoiberg Speaks On First Year: “A program built for long term success”

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/plus/the-growing-pains-were-evident-but-did-the-huskers-successfully-install-fred-hoibergs-system/article_db06c5da-9b37-5c38-80e4-a263c92795b5.html

In his first year, Hoiberg chose to play a system that didn’t necessarily fit his roster. Cam Mack was among the fastest point guards in the conference, but unlike Hoiberg's days at Iowa State, he didn’t have the 3-point shooting or stretch big men for pace and space to thrive.

Nebraska was the least-efficient offense in the Big Ten, finishing 10th in 3-point shooting and 12th in effective field-goal percentage. They were small, were blocked more than any team in the country, and were often sloppy in transition.

But despite not having the tools, Hoiberg ramped up the speed anyway. He ran the same sets that he did at ISU, trying to instill a philosophy of speed that may not lead to wins, but would set the tone for the coming years. And if you believe — as Hoiberg did — that the season was about creating a baseline of a system for the future, Nebraska might’ve actually been somewhat successful.

"When I was hired, I spoke about a program built for long term success. I knew that the first year would be a challenging time," Hoiberg said in a statement released on Twitter Wednesday. "I appreciated the constant effort our guys displayed. Most importantly, I felt as a program we laid the foundation for who we want to be."

• Plus1 1