April Fools: Best Trick Plays in Husker History

20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

There was also a fake field goal where the holder just flipped it over his shoulder to Henery, but I can't find a good clip of that.

We ran that play twice in 2008. I can't find footage of the first one, which I believe we did against Texas Tech. Here's the 2008 Colorado game where we tried it again just before halftime and, because they'd seen the film, they sniffed it out and picked it off.

Whoops. YouTube won't let me embed that video for some reason.

Here's the link.

https://youtu.be/hNr5OAtjJGc?t=3761

• Plus1 1

This obscure play isn't as flashy as the Fumble Roosky or other trick plays.  It's more of an innovative wrinkle than a trick play.  Nonetheless it's one of my favorites.  I wonder why we don't use it more often?  

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, NUance said:

This obscure play isn't as flashy as the Fumble Roosky or other trick plays.  It's more of an innovative wrinkle than a trick play.  Nonetheless it's one of my favorites.  I wonder why we don't use it more often?  

It is a mystery, because on another occasion Bo & Co. found a play that worked and stuck with it. Over and over and over and over...

• Plus1 2

I think I remember two more times Beck tried running the 'trick' double option. Neither worked, I think both were in situations where there would have been a high expectation of some trickery or something daring like a late needed two point conversion or something.

But yeah, Beck was always a confusing one. The lack of diamond formation still makes no sense to me, especially because it was good for 10+ yards pretty much every time we ran it.

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Bounce Rooski

The play before the Bounce..

Gill throws it to my cousin..

Thanks for posting..(I was on the sidelines trying to photograph it).

Edit"  @2:32:00  30 seconds left..Another old teammate of mine intercepts the pass from Phelps to end the game.

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

It is a mystery, because on another occasion Bo & Co. found a play that worked and stuck with it. Over and over and over and over...

I seem to remember us running that play seven or eight times against UCLA when we played them in LA, Heard was averaging like 7 or 8 ypc, they could not stop it and inexplicably we went away from it

15 minutes ago, JoeHuskers! said:

I seem to remember us running that play seven or eight times against UCLA when we played them in LA, Heard was averaging like 7 or 8 ypc, they could not stop it and inexplicably we went away from it

Classic Beck-style playcalling. Always wanted to call what he wanted to run at the worst times and not what he needed to run. Game still pisses me off.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

The play before the Bounce..

Gill throws it to my cousin..

Thanks for posting..(I was on the sidelines trying to photograph it).

Edit"  @2:32:00  30 seconds left..Another old teammate of mine intercepts the pass from Phelps to end the game.

This is the second game I ever went to. I was only 5. I still remember that play really clearly because we were sitting on that yard line.

My current profile background photo is the chaos following the game-sealing interception.

• Plus1 1
On 4/1/2020 at 12:29 PM, knapplc said:

I remember watching the Bounceroosky as a kid and wondering what the heck happened.

This is the only footage I could find of it - from an Oklahoma film with no scores & no commentary.

The funny thing about the Bouncerooski is that it's a pretty high risk play. It's only a trick play because the receiver is supposed to pretend the play is dead and the defense is supposed to let up, having seen the ball hit the ground. Oklahoma didn't bite on the bounce at all and it was still successful. Now that I think about it, a wide screen to a receiver who can pass is a pretty good play without the additional trickery.