Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

but scientific and med communities must ramp up production of drugs and so on to huge numbers distributed everywhere by June 10. (just 60 days - not long enough ?).  

Drugs are just treatment which may make an infection less severe.  Even their widespread availability won’t be an acceptable reason to loosen distancing to the extent required of football games.  
Plus they don’t work for everyone and adverse effects can be problematic.  It’s kind of like why the availability of Tamiflu is not a reason to skip the seasonal influenza vaccine.  I’m pretty confident saying that vaccination or widespread herd immunity is the only way.  And both are very unlikely anytime soon. 

• Plus1 1

100+ people traveling from state to state to college campuses that will probably still be mostly closed during a pandemic, except for "essential" staff for a sporting event and the TV crews/Network Talent to broadcast it.  I can't think of a better demonstration that there's nothing amateur about the athletes at football schools.

I think it's highly unlikely that there's any football this fall.  People have already pointed out the potential liability of it from the student athlete point of view.  What about the other people? people driving buses or press?  God forbid having 200+ people on a field together and something spreads, what about other people on that campus and the community they live in?  What happens when that's contact traced back to a player at a particular school due to football?

I understand that people want to be optimistic that this will be over by the fall, but we are simply slowing it down, it's still going to probably infect half the population at least.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, methodical said:

100+ people traveling from state to state to college campuses that will probably still be mostly closed during a pandemic, except for "essential" staff for a sporting event and the TV crews/Network Talent to broadcast it.  I can't think of a better demonstration that there's nothing amateur about the athletes at football schools.

I think it's highly unlikely that there's any football this fall.  People have already pointed out the potential liability of it from the student athlete point of view.  What about the other people? people driving buses or press?  God forbid having 200+ people on a field together and something spreads, what about other people on that campus and the community they live in?  What happens when that's contact traced back to a player at a particular school due to football?

I understand that people want to be optimistic that this will be over by the fall, but we are simply slowing it down, it's still going to probably infect half the population at least.

If there is no football then there is no schools open - any age. Have fun having your kids home till fall 2021! 

Enough time has gone by that we are now starting to see the results of whether social distancing is working.  Smithfield was forced to shut their hog processing plant down in Sioux Falls.  This particular plant processes roughly five percent of the nation's pork supply.  Over six percent of the workers have tested positive.  If we put these numbers to the general population without social distancing, we're looking at over 20 million infected.  Using the death rate thus far, this would mean almost 800,000 deaths.  With social distancing, the models have us around 60,000 deaths.

More than likely, there will be schools across the nation that will start school this fall.  These will be in areas where there have been few to no cases and are smaller schools.  In the hot spots, they more than likely won't.  This is all assuming that tests become a lot more readily available.  Right now, I just don't see UNL having classes on campus this fall.  Without a medical miracle, I just don't see college football having a season this year.   

Nope.  No season this fall.  College team sports will be reduced to Football, basketball and baseball.  Other sports will become extinct.  The second round of COVID 19 will hit this fall.  Schools will remain closed.  No football will be played for 3-5 years, during which, Iowa will claim 3 championships.  It is a bleak, bleak time indeed.

• Haha 2

I read this week that the idea of starting in Oct. is being floated.

I think for covid safety they should mandate elimination of full media timeouts, and cut review time to a maximum of 30 seconds in order to reduce public exposure and get everyone home quicker

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, nupowr said:

I read this week that the idea of starting in Oct. is being floated.

I think for covid safety they should mandate elimination of full media timeouts, and cut review time to a maximum of 30 seconds in order to reduce public exposure and get everyone home quicker

tenor.gif?itemid=11363998

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, nupowr said:

I just read today that NU sits financially among the best of the Power 5 schools.

Another article stated that one Texas A&M official thought it would be possible to start in Oct and still play a full schedule.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-am-chancelllor-john-sharp-full-college-football-season-october-start-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-014106178.html

start in oct only adds about 30 days - not really much difference.  u might be able practice by then IF a vaccine is available on a nationwide basis by 8-15.  it would take atleast 60 days to get nearly all 350 million treated under the most ambitious effort ever devised.  Forget testing-just medicate all - period. 

Still have to stop immigration completely until we are all safe.  No foreign travel in or out.  

If we're depending on a vaccine for football season I don't see anyway that it happens. The most ambitious efforts won't be approved until fall at the earliest and the ramp up to produce and vaccinate people is going to take months more. There is just almost no way that we have enough vaccination by football season. The only real option here would be some sort of antibody serum that is preventative that can be set up sooner

The game changer will be treatment that keeps people out of the hospital or gets them out of the hospital faster. For one, we could have a treatment as early as this summer. If you can keep people from needing to be hospitalized then that really changes things plus widespread testing. I think we need a vaccine or treatment and testing before a season happens. The vaccine seems like an outside shot though.

55 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just read another reminder about people celebrating the "end" of the 1918 influenza epidemic way too early, launching a second wave that was much worse. I think big gatherings including concerts and sports have another year to go. 

This guy worked in both the Bush and Obama administrations. 

The optimist in me, who is also a realist, thinks the world will move more quickly on testing and treatment than the cautious projections. This is based on the high level of motivation, including both professional accolades and potential profits, major advancements in medical technology, the new speed of shared information, and a global population that is really, truly all in this together. 

But I do think it will require an easing of FDA approval timelines, and given the circumstances I'm betting that will happen, too. 

I think when people realize this isn't just about church services and music festivals, but that it could actually cancel the football season, s#!t gets real. 

• Plus1 1