Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Just my opinion-  If they have antibody testing available this summer, I believe we will have football in the fall.  I know for a fact the number of people that have had this or currently have this are being drastically under reported.  I have a close friend who just recovered from it.  It took an act of congress for his wife to get him tested.  He had all symptoms and even had a coworker test positive but they still wouldn't test him because he didn't require hospital care.  Once his condition got so bad that they were considering hospitalizing him, they finally tested him.  I have heard story after story that are very similar.  Most people do not require hospitalization so the majority of those are going uncounted.  I say all this because I believe our "herd immunity" will be approaching 60% by fall and our new cases will be very low by then.  Once a population reaches 60%, new cases drop drastically because the virus has so many fewer opportunities to spread.  The main concern about overloading our health care system will be gone and life will be allowed to return to the new normal.  People will still be scared, and we will deal with the repercussions for years, but the government will step aside at that point.  This didn't happen 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu because society was much more spread out and travel was much more difficult.  It simply took longer to reach 60% immunity.         

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Just my opinion-  If they have antibody testing available this summer, I believe we will have football in the fall.  I know for a fact the number of people that have had this or currently have this are being drastically under reported.  I have a close friend who just recovered from it.  It took an act of congress for his wife to get him tested.  He had all symptoms and even had a coworker test positive but they still wouldn't test him because he didn't require hospital care.  Once his condition got so bad that they were considering hospitalizing him, they finally tested him.  I have heard story after story that are very similar.  Most people do not require hospitalization so the majority of those are going uncounted.  I say all this because I believe our "herd immunity" will be approaching 60% by fall and our new cases will be very low by then.  Once a population reaches 60%, new cases drop drastically because the virus has so many fewer opportunities to spread.  The main concern about overloading our health care system will be gone and life will be allowed to return to the new normal.  People will still be scared, and we will deal with the repercussions for years, but the government will step aside at that point.  This didn't happen 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu because society was much more spread out and travel was much more difficult.  It simply took longer to reach 60% immunity.         

This also assumes that once you get it you can't get it again... which I believe still isn't confirmed right?

I just want my football weekends back...

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

This also assumes that once you get it you can't get it again... which I believe still isn't confirmed right?

I just want my football weekends back...

That is the assumption, yes.  As long as it is like all other known corona viruses, re-infection is unlikely and typically second infections are very mild because most people's immune system remember past virus infections and quickly attack them.  All current data is showing that people's immune systems are responding to this strain in the same way.  The big question is how long will a person's immune system remember this strain.  Here is a good read for anyone wanting to understand more;     https://www.sciencealert.com/long-term-memory-cytotoxic-immune-cells-explained

Our immune systems want football!  I'm guessing government shutdowns or not, our bodies will likely end this pandemic long before scientists do.  It's just unfortunate it will come at the toll of many human lives...      

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I say all this because I believe our "herd immunity" will be approaching 60% by fall and our new cases will be very low by then.

I think our social distancing efforts are working so well, reaching 60% herd immunity by fall seems optimistic.  Time will tell though.  I agree with you on the importance of antibody testing.  I just can’t imagine it being available on a large enough scale to allow for football.   As you mentioned, we still can’t test at the level we want.  

With a common cold I think you've got 6-8 weeks built in immunity once its over, after that you can get nailed again.  Usually the more acute the infection the longer the immunity lasts. 

I had a nuisance recurring infection that lasted for years which would produce itchy little bumps on my hands and elbows.  Then my infant son caught hand foot mouth disease.  I will be damned if I didn't catch it!  I had bumps all over my hands.  Doctor said no, if you do have it you'll be the first adult I have seen with it.  But I did have it. Got fairly sick.  The acute infection actually forced my  body to make antibodies that cleared out the other infection too!  Never had it since.  Life is weird.

• Fire 1

You would think right now that people would do what is right but money is king.  Right now in Grand Island there is a large infection rate because of the meat packing plant. 3500 mostly migrant workers forced to work in close proximity.  The disease is spreading quickly there, but you wouldn't know because there has been very little testing. Hundreds have called out sick with no pay.  However the Grand Island ICU is currently FULL.  And they are planning on shipping patients out to Kearney Lincoln, and Omaha.

But the governor will not allow the Health department to close the meat plant temporarily or even reduce staff to increase distance between workers because the beef feeders will lose money. 

8 hours ago, nupowr said:

You would think right now that people would do what is right but money is king.  Right now in Grand Island there is a large infection rate because of the meat packing plant. 3500 mostly migrant workers forced to work in close proximity.  The disease is spreading quickly there, but you wouldn't know because there has been very little testing. Hundreds have called out sick with no pay.  However the Grand Island ICU is currently FULL.  And they are planning on shipping patients out to Kearney Lincoln, and Omaha.

But the governor will not allow the Health department to close the meat plant temporarily or even reduce staff to increase distance between workers because the beef feeders will lose money

Beef packers* will lose money.

The beef feeders are already losing plenty of money while the packers are making plenty.

• Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What are the chances we get games with no fans? 

Even if stadiums are open I'm guessing attendance will be terrible.  This is going to put a scare into the general population that will take years to get over.  The only way to avoid that is if a vaccine is developed and readily available to put the concerned people at ease.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

People are worried about sports, but again this all comes down to school. If kids are in school - there will be sports. If not, there won't be. 

lol well then no sports... I promise you the whole kids going back to campus thing isn't happening in the fall.  All major universities are planning on remote based education unless something drastic changes in the next 60 days.

Pandemic+ dorms+dining halls+ common areas+thousands of people= not happening

22 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol well then no sports... I promise you the whole kids going back to campus thing isn't happening in the fall.  All major universities are planning on remote based education unless something drastic changes in the next 60 days.

Pandemic+ dorms+dining halls+ common areas+thousands of people= not happening

Do you have a source for this?