Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

5 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

You are correct about opening things back up.  Herd immunity is the only way to get past this although its probably never going away completely.  Maybe if there is an effective vaccine, but those generally take years to develop.  Things look bad in Arizona, Texas, Florida right now but the reality is they are closer to herd immunity than most and doing it at a time when the weather is less favorable for a virus.  I do think masks help some although i wear them more as a courtesy to others and because here IL we are still required to wear them in public.  When we are no longer required to wear them I wont wear one.

There is no scientific evidence that herd immunity is a thing with this disease. Anyone counting on that saving us is practicing wishful thinking without further evidence.

From the Mayo Clinic:

However, there are some major problems with relying on community infection to create herd immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19. First, it isn't yet clear if infection with the COVID-19 virus makes a person immune to future infection.

Research suggests that after infection with some coronaviruses, reinfection with the same virus — though usually mild and only happening in a fraction of people — is possible after a period of months or years. Further research is needed to determine the protective effect of antibodies to the virus in those who have been infected.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There is no scientific evidence that herd immunity is a thing with this disease. Anyone counting on that saving us is practicing wishful thinking without further evidence.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Then just hide out and wait for a vaccine?  If that is your solution, you are welcome to do that.  The vast majority of people will not do that.  How many people do you think will be wearing a mask a year from now?  Not many but you are welcome to.

"Research suggests that after infection with some coronaviruses, reinfection with the same virus — though usually mild and only happening in a fraction of people — is possible after a period of months or years."

If true, is this not essentially herd immunity?  It may be different than other viruses but the risk of death from reinfection would be very very small.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Then just hide out and wait for a vaccine?  If that is your solution, you are welcome to do that.  The vast majority of people will not do that.  How many people do you think will be wearing a mask a year from now?  Not many but you are welcome to.

And herein lies the problem (yet again): if people would park their selfishness and wear a mask for the good of their communities, we would mitigate the spread and be able to go back to a semi-normal lifestyle without spreading the disease as far as we have. 

It's that simple. If you want football this fall (or anything normal, for that matter), put on a damn mask. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

"Research suggests that after infection with some coronaviruses, reinfection with the same virus — though usually mild and only happening in a fraction of people — is possible after a period of months or years."

If true, is this not essentially herd immunity?  It may be different than other viruses but the risk of death from reinfection would be very very small.

I think a LOT of people will finally wise up and wear masks if this season gets canceled because too many numbnuts won't wear one now.

The paragraph you quoted is from the Mayo link I provided, but you cannot just pull that out and ignore the caveat - which is the quote I provided. That's the meat of that article.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

wearing a mask is not the problem nor the solution.  But it makes some people feel better because they are doing something and gives them a false sense of safety.  The “experts” say it reduces the probability of infection by about 2%.

Dude this is so wrong. Stop spreading this crap. Mask wearing absolutely makes a difference. You want sports back, wear a mask. Anyone want to provide a decent argument against mask wearing, I'm all ears; let's hash it out. But a decent argument against wearing masks doesn't exist, so I won't hold my breath. 

Ebw34gkVcAIRleV?format=jpg&name=medium

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Herd immunity is the only way to get past this although its probably never going away completely.

Dozens of other countries who effectively handled their disease suggest this is absolutely false. Look at countries around the world who are reopening without increased spread, most of the EU, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand etc.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

I tend to agree that herd immunity is a big maybe.  The problem is, sadly, there is no effective vaccine or other treatments and the odds are very, very low that any will be found any time soon enough to matter much.  Covid 19 is a very virulent strain of flu that is deadly for a small % of the most vulnerable in society.  It spread wildly back in Dec, Jan and Feb before CDC, WHO, NIH etal knew about it.  It was too late by then to stop it with quarantine.  

The response, basically drive by panic by those same authorities, was the shutdown strategy.  The idea was to slow epidemic’s rate of spread in hopes - perhaps - that 1) an existing medicine might help, and 2) that warm weather and other factors (co-morbitites) would help reduce the death rates, and 3) that the gradual revelation of the threat to the population (the bad news essentially) would lessen the shock and mass panic and the resultant negatives thereof. 

1 and 2 didnt work apparently. 

3 was fairly successful although panic buying, mass fear, and economic harm has happened. 

We dont know how many have had the virus so we dont know about herd immunity.  The authorities dont seem to want to test for it, even after 6 months and many millions infected. Why?  IDK. 

There are very few reported second infections but ???   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And herein lies the problem (yet again): if people would park their selfishness and wear a mask for the good of their communities, we would mitigate the spread and be able to go back to a semi-normal lifestyle without spreading the disease as far as we have. 

It's that simple. 

Thank you.  Wearing a mask is about me trying not to spread it to YOU.  It isn't about me being afraid or hiding, it's about caring about others, and doing my part.  Wasn't that something folks used to pride themselves on? Sacrificing a bit to help the cause and their neighbors?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It's that simple. If you want football this fall (or anything normal, for that matter), put on a damn mask. 

That won't happen, people are inherently selfish.  And I do wear a mask as stated previously.  I think what we are living in is the 'new normal'.  Its just going to take awhile for people to get used to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

So where does wearing a mask stop for those of you who believe in it?  Do you propose we wear one until the virus is gone?  Until we get a "vaccine" that may never be developed?  

Wearing a mask is something I would be willing to do IF there was an end in sight.  If wearing one would in some way stop the virus, I believe we all would.  The reality is wearing them won't stop it.  It will slow it down, maybe.  This is worldwide and will constantly be a part of our society for years to come.  

I have never been a fan of slowing down the inevitable- lets get this crap over with....  And play some football.   

• Thanks 3
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Covid 19 is a very virulent strain of flu

No.

It is not the flu. The people telling you that are wrong, and you should reeducate yourself on what, exactly, these kinds of viruses are.

It was too late by then to stop it with quarantine.  

No.

Other nations around the world stopped it in its tracks via quarantine. Quarantine is an effective way to blunt this disease. Masks are the other.

The response, basically drive by panic by those same authorities

No.

Nobody panicked. The CDC and other medical experts tried to do in America what other countries were doing. It worked in other countries. That it didn't work in America is not due to our medical experts "panicking."

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

was fairly successful although panic buying, mass fear

No.

There is no "mass fear."  This is a ridiculous exaggeration of people hoarding toilet paper. There were no riots from this disease, we didn't devolve into anarchy.  Pretending that wearing a mask and quarantining are actions based on "fear" and not responsibility is contributing to the misinformation out there. Please stop.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It spread wildly back in Dec, Jan and Feb before CDC, WHO, NIH etal knew about it.

Wrong, they knew about it by the end of January for sure.

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It was too late by then to stop it with quarantine.  

The response, basically drive by panic by those same authorities, was the shutdown strategy.

Wrong, dozens of other countries used quarantines/shutdowns to stop the spread and curtain the infection. China, Japan, South Korea, most of the EU, Australia, New Zealand. They are now reopening without increased infection.

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

1 and 2 didnt work apparently. 

3 was fairly successful although panic buying, mass fear, and economic harm has happened. 

1 and 2 worked in dozens of other countries. They have found existing medicines that help reduce mortality we just didn't slow the spread to have enough of them to use. They are already concerned we'll run out of Remdisivir. Experts warned from the beginning not to rely on warm weather slowing the spread and it hasn't, they just hoped it would. However, in other countries who actually slowed the spread the warm weather has helped act as a back drop and allowed them reopen more. They've proven it doesn't spread as well outdoors but there are too many cases here for that to matter. I don't even understand your third point.

7 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We dont know how many have had the virus so we dont know about herd immunity.  The authorities dont seem to want to test for it, even after 6 months and many millions infected. Why?  IDK. 

They have already started estimating how many have it. Some estimates say 20-25% of New Yorkers have had. Others say for every positive test there is 10 cases not tested. That's coming from the "authorities" who you say don't want to test. They are it's just a new disease it takes time to figure this out hence why we were supposed to slow the spread.

You need to do a lot more research on this.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So where does wearing a mask stop for those of you who believe in it?  Do you propose we wear one until the virus is gone?  Until we get a "vaccine" that may never be developed?  

Wearing a mask is something I would be willing to do IF there was an end in sight.  If wearing one would in some way stop the virus, I believe we all would.  The reality is wearing them won't stop it.  It will slow it down, maybe.  This is worldwide and will constantly be a part of our society for years to come.  

I have never been a fan of slowing down the inevitable- lets get this crap over with....  And play some football.   

You should take a look at what other countries have done. English Premiere League is already playing again. The reason football might not be played is because we have failed to contain the virus and continue to fail at it.

None of what's happening in America was necessary, and we have dozens of other countries to look at for what is working.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, Hilltop said:

Uh wear one until a vaccine develops or at the very least an effective treatment plan is in place. Vaccine should be available by 2021. If it's not here in 2021 we can revisit this. But when they're projecting mask wearing to save 33,000 lives by October. 

You're mindset is like me raw-dogging strippers and not wrapping up, because "Gonna get an AIDS eventually, might as well not delay it". Have some decency and common sense.  We have a saying in the medical field; prevention is better than a cure.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1