Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

I haven't heard of a single "concerned" coach.  I would think any individual who was, for whatever reason, could coach from the box or social distance.  Officials are in general very in shape individuals and would be in a very low risk category.  Any athletes with underlying conditions could make the choice to sit out.  The show most go on.  Life must go on.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Not a single concerned coach, eh?

Oklahoma football coach Lincoln Riley said Thursday that any talk of bringing players back to campus in a matter of weeks is too soon. "All the talk about these schools wanting to bring players back on June 1 is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard," Riley said in a Zoom chat with reporters. "We've got to be patient. We have one good shot at it."

"It would be completely irresponsible to bring these guys in too early," he said. "We need to bring these guys in as late as we can. Every day they come in could be a day we could've gotten better, learned more about the virus, the [personal protection equipment] gets better, a day closer to a vaccine, the testing capabilities get better. It's just not worth it."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29176482/patient-bringing-football-players-back-campus

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I haven't heard of a single "concerned" coach.  I would think any individual who was, for whatever reason, could coach from the box or social distance.  Officials are in general very in shape individuals and would be in a very low risk category.  Any athletes with underlying conditions could make the choice to sit out.  The show most go on.  Life must go on.  

As far as college athletics go, why? Some peoples lives aren't going on because of this. Is college sports really that necessary? 

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

A couple of you give a laugh but the reality is that is exactly what is happening.  Athletes return to campus in 2 weeks.  

Alot can happen in 2 weeks and in 3 months before the actual season starts. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/15/2020 at 8:54 PM, Hilltop said:

I haven't heard of a single "concerned" coach...

If my salary, at the end of the day, was dependent on a product I too would show little concern. One season of no product, creates a slippery salary.

Athletes and those who coach them should not be our health barometer 

With that said, give me some sports

• Haha 1

Question: what happens when they do play the season and a game is played and afterwards players from both teams test positive? What is the protocol for when a player tests positive? Out for 2 weeks? With an infectious disease, rosters could be depleted quickly. Imagine a playoff game where Trevor Lawrence is out because he is COVID positive. These are things that need to be thought about beyond just 'well they aren't gonna die'

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Do you think football should get eliminated because of CTE? 

If something isn't done about it football will go extinct because of CTE. Not because people aren't allowed to play, but because parents will push their children in different directions. If the CTE issue isn't solved football won't last much longer as a main stream sport relative to its peers. 

And to be clear I never said anything about eliminating football because of CTE, I was making an observation about how little fans care about CTE

Edit: an article on the subject

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerpielke/2020/01/28/the-decline-of-football-is-real-and-its-accelerating/

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Question: what happens when they do play the season and a game is played and afterwards players from both teams test positive? What is the protocol for when a player tests positive? Out for 2 weeks? With an infectious disease, rosters could be depleted quickly. Imagine a playoff game where Trevor Lawrence is out because he is COVID positive. These are things that need to be thought about beyond just 'well they aren't gonna die'

• Plus1 1