Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am not asking them to do that.  If they don't want to play, they should not play.  But every practice and game they are putting themselves at risk of getting hurt (really badly) and they still go play. 

There is a major difference between a risk that cannot be taken away from the game (injuries) vs. something that can be easily avoided (waiting until a vaccine is available before resuming play). While it would really suck, I would understand it if we didn't have a 2020-2021 season.

In my opinion, anyone that advocates for playing this season - without widespread testing and vaccines - is essentially deciding that their entertainment is more important than player health.

The argument that players have a choice is bulls#!t though. If there is a season, they effectively are given no choice. Just like workers are given no choice if their employer reopens. You could always just quit football and lose your scholarship if you don't want to possibly die to a preventable disease is not a good argument to make.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Branno said:

There is a major difference between a risk that cannot be taken away from the game (injuries) vs. something that can be easily avoided (waiting until a vaccine is available before resuming play). While it would really suck, I would understand it if we didn't have a 2020-2021 season.

In my opinion, anyone that advocates for playing this season - without widespread testing and vaccines - is essentially deciding that their entertainment is more important than player health.

The argument that players have a choice is bulls#!t though. If there is a season, they effectively are given no choice. Just like workers are given no choice if their employer reopens. You could always just quit football and lose your scholarship if you don't want to possibly die to a preventable disease is not a good argument to make.

There is not a program in the country that will take a kids scholarship for not playing because of Covid.  Could you imagine the PR nightmare for the school, the staff, the conference...No chance.

I agree the safest thing to do is wait and I am fine with that.  But I am not a 20 year old player on a college football team that only has a certain amount of time to play the game.

• Fire 1

It's not just "player safety".  It's the safety of the students on campus, professors, family members of students and athletes, local businesses, etc....

The more this spreads, the more pointless social distancing and masks matter.  At this point, we might as well go the "herd immunity" route and just write off the 1-2 million people that will die or have life altering organ damage from it...

I don't agree with that strategy, but it's what were working towards.  Might as well just call it what it is.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2
26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It's not just "player safety".  It's the safety of the students on campus, professors, family members of students and athletes, local businesses, etc....

The more this spreads, the more pointless social distancing and masks matter.  At this point, we might as well go the "herd immunity" route and just write off the 1-2 million people that will die or have life altering organ damage from it...

I don't agree with that strategy, but it's what were working towards.  Might as well just call it what it is.

This is pretty much accurate. 

College campus are going to open up and you can't open up college campus but then say "Oh but...you can't have games because of Covid" . 

16 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

People know they played college football in 1918, right? During the peak of a pandemic much worse than this? I didn't take the time to read 23 pages of nonsense to check if we'd talked about it (hey, can we get 50-post pages again?)

Reduced capacity. Fans wore masks. Nothing formal, but fans just "spread out" more in the stands.  Cool picture from a Georgia Tech game in this article. https://www.startribune.com/lessons-from-18-old-pandemic-is-a-murky-guide-for-sports/570651632/

We are playing football this fall. 

I was responding specifically to claims made in 84s post. Also, maybe it would be better to learn from 1918 rather than repeat everything that they did then. What was the impact of the games on the spread of the Spanish Flu? I think that would be more worth looking into rather than just saying well they played in 1918 so we should today. Imo the best thing for the season would be a delay. I don't think the season needs to be cancelled, but I also don't think the time it is normally held is going to be the best time to do it as it stands now. Things can always change though. 

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

People know they played college football in 1918, right? During the peak of a pandemic much worse than this? I didn't take the time to read 23 pages of nonsense to check if we'd talked about it (hey, can we get 50-post pages again?)

The press was censored and didn't report that there was a pandemic (which is why it's called the Spanish Flu, their newspapers were the first to break the silence). There were multiple waves, with the virus spreading all the way to 1920, and upwards of a million people died in the US (up to 50 million world wide).

But they played football.

Maybe we instead of looking to the 1918 pandemic as a sign of what we SHOULD do, we should learn from our mistakes and try to do better.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

This isn't the Spanish Flu.  Modern Medicine is light years ahead of 1918.  We have solid information on how to avoid the spread.  The numbers would be much better if we could get some of the non-English speaking minority groups on the same page.  Take a look at the nationwide demographics and where a large percentage of the cases are.  Keeping the country under lock down isn't going to fix that.     

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Reduced capacity. Fans wore masks. Nothing formal, but fans just "spread out" more in the stands.  Cool picture from a Georgia Tech game in this article. https://www.startribune.com/lessons-from-18-old-pandemic-is-a-murky-guide-for-sports/570651632/

This would be back in the days of Nebraska Field, five years before Memorial Stadium opened. Capacity was only about 15,000 fans, and obviously even lower with extra spacing.