Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

I'm not sure how much revenue will be actually lost if they play the games and keep the donations.  The season tickets themselves are not a huge portion of the revenue anyway. If I had to guess, I would guess they are maybe 20% of the stadium revenue. The donations are where the real money is made, as we know. So, in a world of a$$h@!e corporations, I am sure they can say to the 50% not allowed in stadium each week, should they chose to limit is like that, that they can have money back for actual ticket prices but that the "donation" was always just a 'goodwill-I-Love-the-U,' gesture so will be kept and used as such. That would somewhat minimize revenue loss to a degree, and from there, they just have to find ways to schmooze the "donors' to make them still perceive the value of the donation even though not sitting in the seats that the "donations" granted them access to.  Maybe that involves some sort of discount next year, some sort of gold label Husker gear, free red balloons for life, I don't know, but something. There will also be a subset of donors that actually do love the program enough that they won't bat an eye as long as the Moos and Co play their cards right and frame it all correctly. 

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

I'm not sure how much revenue will be actually lost if they play the games and keep the donations.  The season tickets themselves are not a huge portion of the revenue anyway. If I had to guess, I would guess they are maybe 20% of the stadium revenue. The donations are where the real money is made, as we know. So, in a world of a$$h@!e corporations, I am sure they can say to the 50% not allowed in stadium each week, should they chose to limit is like that, that they can have money back for actual ticket prices but that the "donation" was always just a 'goodwill-I-Love-the-U,' gesture so will be kept and used as such. That would somewhat minimize revenue loss to a degree, and from there, they just have to find ways to schmooze the "donors' to make them still perceive the value of the donation even though not sitting in the seats that the "donations" granted them access to.  Maybe that involves some sort of discount next year, some sort of gold label Husker gear, free red balloons for life, I don't know, but something. There will also be a subset of donors that actually do love the program enough that they won't bat an eye as long as the Moos and Co play their cards right and frame it all correctly. 

There is more to it than just the actual price of the ticket sales. For example say you normally have 85,000 fans in memorial stadium- then say they only allow 30,000 fans into each games. That is a deficit of 55,000 fans inside the stadium. So 55,000 less tickets sold, 55,000 less people buying a hot dog, a runza, a t-shirt. I am sure some of those 55,000 have a few beers at a local bar next to the stadium before or after the game, go out to eat, shop at an apparel store, hotel etc. Also if the games will be restricted will that decrease the turnout for pregame tailgating? So that 55,000 number just got a lot bigger if less come to tailgate.

Its like the CWS- I am sure Omaha benefits greatly by what people do while in Omaha outside of the stadium than we do the actual games. Same for Lincoln having a huge influx of people.

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

There is more to it than just the actual price of the ticket sales. For example say you normally have 85,000 fans in memorial stadium- then say they only allow 30,000 fans into each games. That is a deficit of 55,000 fans inside the stadium. So 55,000 less tickets sold, 55,000 less people buying a hot dog, a runza, a t-shirt. I am sure some of those 55,000 have a few beers at a local bar next to the stadium before or after the game, go out to eat, shop at an apparel store, hotel etc. Also if the games will be restricted will that decrease the turnout for pregame tailgating? So that 55,000 number just got a lot bigger if less come to tailgate.

Its like the CWS- I am sure Omaha benefits greatly by what people do while in Omaha outside of the stadium than we do the actual games. Same for Lincoln having a huge influx of people.

I was speaking about NU athletic department only, not overall area economic impact.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/husker-a-d-bill-moos-blends-optimism-with-patience-and-caution-for-return-of-college/article_6a487ae3-f472-5487-8d42-685f9679996f.html

Husker A.D. Bill Moos blends optimism with patience and caution for return of college sports

Upon arrival next week, the influx of student-athletes will be quarantined for 48 hours, then tested for COVID-19. If they are cleared, they will be able to participate in the voluntary workouts. 

"Per the mandate of the governor, we have to be in groups of 10 or less, and that includes the supervisors in the weight room or on the fields," Moos said. 

In other words, the basketball teams can't get a full-team workout with 13 scholarship players. The football team can't field a full offensive or defensive drill. Most workouts will likely be in the weight room in rotations.

• Plus1 1

Well, if there are games going on in Lincoln...I will be there for at least one of them...hitting up 4-5 different bars with my friends and maybe a tailgate. 

That is not me being macho or a tough guy, it is not me fighting for freedom or my rights.  It is me wanting to enjoy a Saturday in Lincoln. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well, if there are games going on in Lincoln...I will be there for at least one of them...hitting up 4-5 different bars with my friends and maybe a tailgate. 

That is not me being macho or a tough guy, it is not me fighting for freedom or my rights.  It is me wanting to enjoy a Saturday in Lincoln. 

I find it noteworthy or at least interesting that you feel the need to explain yourself. (I just erased about 3 paragraphs of my comment, LOL)

You're just going to have to do what you feel is ok to do. Just do you and be responsible as you can.. I don't believe you have to fight for your freedom or your rights......yet,  nor do you need to explain yourself.

That's what we're doing on our campus, classes will start August 10th and end before Thanksgiving, with no fall break. They're worried about a second wave in winter, and want to get the semester over with before then.