Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

not good, LSU and Clemson have a bunch of covid players......

I wonder if it is not good now but in the long run is what they figured what would happen.  They get tested now, they get it now, and then they move on and come middle of July the the positive tests are way way down.

I’m guessing even if they play, it’s gonna be a season with an asterisk next to it in 5 years. Teams will forfeit due to one player getting the virus and half the team having to quarantine for 2 weeks. Teams will have to trot out starting line ups with half their starters gone. With kids on campus, positive tests are gonna pop up pretty consistently throughout the season, and with football, the contact tracing will be a nightmare. 

• Plus1 1

NFL Player's Association advises players to stop practicing together:

To All Players: 

Please be advised that it is our consensus medical opinion that in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in certain states that no players should be engaged in practicing together in private workouts. Our goal is to have all players and your families as healthy as possible in the coming months. 

We are working on the best mitigation procedures at team facilities for both training camps and the upcoming season, and believe that it is in the best interest of all players that we advice against any voluntary joint practices before training camp commences. 

Stay safe, 

Dr. Thom Mayer 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nflpa-advises-players-to-stop-practicing-together-after-increase-in-coronavirus-cases/

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I’m guessing even if they play, it’s gonna be a season with an asterisk next to it in 5 years. Teams will forfeit due to one player getting the virus and half the team having to quarantine for 2 weeks. Teams will have to trot out starting line ups with half their starters gone. With kids on campus, positive tests are gonna pop up pretty consistently throughout the season, and with football, the contact tracing will be a nightmare. 

Agree 100%. I can also imagine the nightmare regarding travel and lodging plans for visiting teams, officials and TV crews as well.  I foresee a lot of late cancellations and change of plans.  This is all probably the best-case scenario too.  Worst case scenario, of course is no season, which I still think is more likely going to happen at this point.

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if it is not good now but in the long run is what they figured what would happen.  They get tested now, they get it now, and then they move on and come middle of July the the positive tests are way way down.

Get it now and get it over with. Its the older coaches that need to be careful. The kids probably don't even notice they have it.

6 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

And people are saying our increasing the number of walk-ons was foolish! 2020 National Champs!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, teachercd said:

That would be my guess. Plus it seems to me the lethality of the disease has gone way down since Washington and New York. Since I looked last we have added 500,000 new positives and about 8,000 deaths. Then probably 10x that have been infected but asymptomatic so they don’t know to get tested or it’s so minor they don’t care. Out of those new 8000 I would guess mostly elderly and immune compromised with a few outliers here and there. I haven’t heard anything about hospitals freaking out all around the country not able to keep up. They have this new steroid that is supposed to help a lot. I don’t know why anyone’s outlook has changed. Did people think it was gone and was going to stay gone a week ago? 2 weeks ago? No. It will spread until we hit herd immunity. So we can drag this out for 3 years until we hit herd immunity under the guise of waiting for a magical vaccine that will work about as good as the flu vaccine or rip the band aide off and protect the elderly and immune compromised and let it spread to young healthy people- get herd immunity and be done obsessing over a disease that kills less than 1%. All while saving jobs, the economy and our country. 

Just my opinion 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

13650 D1 college football players. Let's say 1/3 get COVID this season. I'm going to say 99.9 of them will be fine. I'm sure you have some asthma and diabetes floating around in that group, so lets 0.1% of them get hospitalized. That's 5 D1 players hospitalized throughout the season. Now I'm not naive, these kids are probably more vulnerable to rhabdo or heat stroke then COVID - but the optics would end it in a hurry. I can't see the NCAA or Universities wanting to continue after an unpaid student athlete gets hospitalized. That's not even including the coaches.

I'm not saying this because I'm a proponent of canceling the season, outside of my family and friends - college football is something that gives me an incredible amount of joy every year. Just acknowledging there is a real chance this thing gets scrapped.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

13650 D1 college football players. Let's say 1/3 get COVID this season. I'm going to say 99.9 of them will be fine. I'm sure you have some asthma and diabetes floating around in that group, so lets 0.1% of them get hospitalized. That's 5 D1 players hospitalized throughout the season. Now I'm not naive, these kids are probably more vulnerable to rhabdo or heat stroke then COVID - but the optics would end it in a hurry. I can't see the NCAA or Universities wanting to continue after an unpaid student athlete gets hospitalized. That's not even including the coaches.

I'm not saying this because I'm a proponent of canceling the season, outside of my family and friends - college football is something that gives me an incredible amount of joy every year. Just acknowledging there is a real chance this thing gets scrapped.

If there's a college football season, at some point one of those 13,650 players is going to die. Same with a coach (maybe more since they're typically older & more susceptible).

The problem with that is, does the family sue the university or the conference? That's what terrifies these schools - the liability. That's what's going to determine whether we have a season or not. The first whiff of a lawsuit from any parent from any level of football and the whole thing gets shut down.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If there's a college football season, at some point one of those 13,650 players is going to die. Same with a coach (maybe more since they're typically older & more susceptible).

The problem with that is, does the family sue the university or the conference? That's what terrifies these schools - the liability. That's what's going to determine whether we have a season or not. The first whiff of a lawsuit from any parent from any level of football and the whole thing gets shut down.

Probably why schools had their athletes sign a waiver upon their return to campus

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Probably why schools had their athletes sign a waiver upon their return to campus

While those are a good idea from a legal perspective, they won't prevent lawsuits.  Every student athlete signs a waiver saying they understand there's a risk involved in sports, but that didn't prevent Nebraska from being sued by the injured cheerleader in the 90s.  UNL lost that suit, and as a result grounded cheerleaders from aerial stunts and kept male cheerleaders off the field for more than a decade.