Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

39 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

A lawyer family friend told me once those “waivers” aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.  

I was under the impression that there were waivers regarding covid not just the typical waivers athletes sign.  I don't see how anyone can sue for getting a sickness.  Unless there is gross negligence on a schools part.  If a kid goes off campus when they aren't supposed to and gets covid how is that the schools fault?  If each school is taking precautions I don't see how they would be held accountable.  

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I was under the impression that there were waivers regarding covid not just the typical waivers athletes sign.  I don't see how anyone can sue for getting a sickness.  Unless there is gross negligence on a schools part.  If a kid goes off campus when they aren't supposed to and gets covid how is that the schools fault?  If each school is taking precautions I don't see how they would be held accountable.  

I don't know how people are able to sue and win with a lot of things. Just think of it this way- if it makes no sense how anyone could sue and win. Throw out all logic and reason. Because someone will sue and win probably an insane amount of money. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The allegation could be something like the school not taking reasonable precautions to prevent transmission. They can't stop players from going to parties, but if they do and contract Covid, and then there's transmission at practice (a tricky thing to prove, probably) because the school wasn't testing everyone, or their procedure was lax, the school could still lose.

20 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Like you mentioned.  Negligence is probably the key word.   I think it’s pretty easy to allege negligence.   Conducting a contact sport with no effective PPE option during a pandemic could easily be viewed as a negligent act by the NCAA, conference and ultimately the schools.   I would guess there would be a good chance an unbiased (not FB fans) jury is going to be more sympathetic to a victim vs. the aforementioned institutions which have $$$ coming out of their ears.   

Ultimately it appears that there will be a real attempt at a CFB season.   How that works out is anybody’s guess.  IMO, schools would be wise to make it clear that student athletes may “opt out “ with no loss of scholarships or any other recourse.  Lawsuits can cost millions, but not playing at all will cost millions.   It probably comes down to a business decision.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have a solution. Only people with a positive test report to show they have had the virus can participate. If the teams don't have a full roster come August they hold open tryouts and the best people who show up for the open tryout who have coronavirus antibodies make the team. 

giphy.gif

This assumes antibodies= you can't become sick again which seems to still be up in the air

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Toe said:

*checks HuskerBoard's Upcoming Events*

p4xWQsF.jpg

T5Smfa7.png

I was looking into this last week but couldn't find the right link to import the football schedule.  

Then I looked this morning and got the link but they still weren't showing up in the feed.

Finally fixed.  You can relax now.  All is well.  ;)

• Plus1 1

I just dont see this working out given how many schools are in play, how many players for each team, and the fact there's no centralized figure running point with this.

NBA is having such a tough time getting this going and we're talking about pros who are paid, 22 teams of 12-15 players a coaching staff that all are in a "bubble" in one place.

The NBA, mind you, is also America's leading professional league when you think of how in order the league is with internal affairs and even they are having an incredibly difficult time navigating this.  The fact that they're having a tough time with this when Adam Silver is loved by most and the players union holding the most power out of all sports league gives me minimal hope that 5 power conferences, all with unique agendas and geography based challenges, can pull something similar off.

You compare that process to the shadow organization known as NCAA, 120+ D1 schools, FCS schools that are on the schedule, TV crews, traveling plans, hotels, etc.  On top of all of this, I haven't heard one thing regarding how media companies are going to factor in here which certainly has to happen for these universities to even have a season.  You take away fans from the stadium (even at a reduced number) thats significant loss of direct money from game day sales along with loss of community revenue (tailgating, bars around stadium, etc).  While media outlets still will make money from broadcast revenue, I would have to think some of this needs to be routed back to schools to help make up for the loss of gameday revenue.  When only 20ish (might be even lower) were breaking even or turning a profit, a very likely scneario exists where an AD or two says this isn;t worth it, we're cancelling the season.  A handful of these reactions impacts schedules tremendously on top of the risk of teams getting this virus.

I think we are also overestimating how much of the public will actually want to go to these games. 

Also of note, if Moos' requires masks in the stadium, does that mean the whole university gets $0 financial resources from the Fed GoV?  :)

Edited by Enhance
Removed the political commentary. Please reserve those comments for the P&R forum.
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2