Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 6/23/2020 at 4:20 PM, hunter49 said:

the fact that it mutates (like regular flu) means that a very effective vaccine is harder to come by......just like the flu shot you get every year, some years they miss the strain by a mile.......more deaths follow.

From what I’ve read, Covid-19 mutates very slowly and the mutations are mild, which makes it more likely a vaccine will work. 

• Plus1 1

I think at the HS level you will see the season start and by the 3rd week a lot of teams forfeiting the season.  There are a lot of schools that struggle to get kids out.  Those teams tend to get beat badly, they start the season 0-3, they are getting killed, a kid or two test positive and they will just fold up the season.

• Fire 1

The bigger issue is whether or not there will be on site school.  That will be largely determinative of sports.  If the case #s dont drop much in the coming 5 weeks, I believe school will be delayed for several months, perhaps the whole semester.  Sports too.  

College fb chances were probably up to 75% or so about Memorial Day but that curve is flattening or declining fast. At best 50/50 and maybe less already.  At this point politics more than science and good old fashioned common is prevailing.  Despite the social and economic pressures to resume life, the fear, whether rational or not, is weighing heavily on too many people at this point. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think at the HS level you will see the season start and by the 3rd week a lot of teams forfeiting the season.  There are a lot of schools that struggle to get kids out.  Those teams tend to get beat badly, they start the season 0-3, they are getting killed, a kid or two test positive and they will just fold up the season.

I don't know about your school, but even the start dates at mine are still up in the air. 

26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think right now they are just hoping the season starts like it should...but I don't think that will happen.  Conditioning and lifting is going on.  

Have to keep all the kids in their specific groups for weights/conditioning.

Then they open up open gyms, etc. and everyone's mixed together.

DirectRecentBoubou-max-1mb.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Have to keep all the kids in their specific groups for weights/conditioning.

Then they open up open gyms, etc. and everyone's mixed together.

DirectRecentBoubou-max-1mb.gif

Yep!

And athletes don't have to mask up...but everyone else does...and if you are outside you don't have to mask up.  Basically no one knows what is going on.  Ha

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think right now they are just hoping the season starts like it should...but I don't think that will happen.  Conditioning and lifting is going on.  

I'm honestly thinking we're going to open normally, then within 2 weeks, be back to distance learning. 

• Plus1 1

We pretty much all agree that without students physically in classrooms, there will be no football, correct?

So let’s say their will be students in classrooms, but with precautions like distancing and masks.  To minimize the spread this seems like a reasonable goal to start out the school year.  Until....

Friday night rolls around and it’s perfectly acceptable for a bunch of students from different schools and/or communities to be smashing each other face to face for two-three hours.  Spit flying, heavy breathing, etc.  

Now back to school Monday where the aforementioned students begin to spread the wealth.    

A month into the season schools across the state are canceling in person classes for the semester due to widespread infections in the schools.   Non-football playing students are now deprived of their opportunity to get in person learning from their teachers.  But hey, at least we got a couple weeks of football in. 

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Me neither.  

Why would we consider something, that when you stop and think about it, seems enormously stupid and irresponsible?

Are we ignoring what’s happening in Florida, Texas and California?

Not seeing HS football this season.   

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

We pretty much all agree that without students physically in classrooms, there will be no football, correct?

So let’s say their will be students in classrooms, but with precautions like distancing and masks.  To minimize the spread this seems like a reasonable goal to start out the school year.  Until....

Friday night rolls around and it’s perfectly acceptable for a bunch of students from different schools and/or communities to be smashing each other face to face for two-three hours.  Spit flying, heavy breathing, etc.  

Now back to school Monday where the aforementioned students begin to spread the wealth.    

A month into the season schools across the state are canceling in person classes for the semester due to widespread infections in the schools.   Non-football playing students are now deprived of their opportunity to get in person learning from their teachers.  But hey, at least we got a couple weeks of football in. 

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Me neither.  

Why would we consider something, that when you stop and think about it, seems enormously stupid and irresponsible?

Are we ignoring what’s happening in Florida, Texas and California?

Not seeing HS football this season.   

I haven't cared about HS football since I was in HS... and maybe 2 of the 8 yrs I coached.

• Haha 4