Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

Just now, Decoy73 said:

For the sake of argument then..

I’d like to hear a justification for having HS football when no students are allowed in classrooms.  

Simple justification is that students are not required to be in classrooms to learn, and they can learn remotely (this has been done successfully for decades in rural communities, especially in Alaska). 

Some activities, like sports or drama or band, require students to work in close proximity. Those activities are often as important to their education as class work.  So to minimize risk you have the students who can do their thing remotely do that, and those who can't get together.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Simple justification is that students are not required to be in classrooms to learn, and they can learn remotely (this has been done successfully for decades in rural communities, especially in Alaska). 

Some activities, like sports or drama or band, require students to work in close proximity. Those activities are often as important to their education as class work.  So to minimize risk you have the students who can do their thing remotely do that, and those who can't get together.

I can't see any districts saying "Can't come to school but you can have practices and games" at the HS level.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You made no mention of football.  And, as a parent using last semester as an example, I will argue that in person class work >> remote.  

• Plus1 1
On 6/23/2020 at 7:55 AM, Huskersince62 said:

Where are the people that monitor this site?  People come here to discuss sports and get away from all the BS going on today...and some azz hole has to inject politics.

Are you surprised that a thread on the possibility of football actually being played this coming season contains commentary on politics and societal issues.....you know, the things that will actually determine if football is played?

I think you are having unrealistic expectations for this topic. And BTW, it's not a good idea to call people an a$$ no matter how you spell it. That will incur the interest of those who monitor the site.

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You made no mention of football.  And, as a parent using last semester as an example, I will argue that in person class work >> remote.  

I did:

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I did:

Some activities, like sports or drama or band, require students to work in close proximity. Those activities are often as important to their education as class work.  So to minimize risk you have the students who can do their thing remotely do that, and those who can't get together.

I’m not arguing that those activities don’t have educational value.   They do, but not to the point of where it’s ok to ignore guidelines.   Drama and band can still happen with precautions.  It will look a little different, but the Ed value doesn’t diminish.  My son got his band camp guidelines the other day and it mainly consists of physical distancing and not sharing sheet music, etc.   Football on the other hand can’t adjust.  Or, at least I don’t see how it could.  
The problem with this approach is that it does penalize the non-football and other contact sports students.   Why should they have to go remote if other students play activities in which proper precautions are essentially impossible?   

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Some activities, like sports or drama or band, require students to work in close proximity. Those activities are often as important to their education as class work.  So to minimize risk you have the students who can do their thing remotely do that, and those who can't get together.

I’m not arguing that those activities don’t have educational value.   They do, but not to the point of where it’s ok to ignore guidelines.   Drama and band can still happen with precautions.  It will look a little different, but the Ed value doesn’t diminish.  My son got his band camp guidelines the other day and it mainly consists of physical distancing and not sharing sheet music, etc.   Football on the other hand can’t adjust.  Or, at least I don’t see how it could.  
The problem with this approach is that it does penalize the non-football and other contact sports students.   Why should they have to go remote if other students play activities in which proper precautions are essentially impossible?   

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You asked for a plausible way they could have football without students on campus, so I tried to provide one scenario. I'm not sure how successful I was, but I think if we're going to have football this season, it's going to have different risks than classroom studies, and be treated differently.

I think you're right that the education value of these activities are all about the same, but I don't think it's right that football's difficulty in adjusting will be unique.

In band, for instance, you're going to have a bunch of kids in a classroom exhaling through brass instruments - that's a pretty great way to spread COVID.  In football you have 50 guys in a locker room (or 150, in college) and that's a lot of chances to catch the disease, too.

I think there's risk no matter what we do, either to quality of education or to health & safety. We have to manage that risk, and get creative about how we do it in a hurry.  Football is all about mitigating risk - pads, helmets, tackling rules, etc, because it's an inherently dangerous sport. I think we have to understand that COVID is just going to be another managed risk.

5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

As the parent of two in school, I agree 100%.  

And I think everyone would agree. In a perfect scenario all kids would be in classrooms, all the time. Unfortunately this isn't that world, and we have to take measures to ensure safety.  Like football helmets.

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think he might be talking college?

HS football will not take place if kids are not on campus.  No chance.  

Right or wrong, the Nebraska state athletic association (NSAA) literally said they'd do this :D

https://lexch.com/sports/nsaa-fall-high-school-sports-could-take-place-even-if-students-arent-in-school-buildings/article_81c9f92e-96eb-11ea-a4a0-c3d01cc0292b.html

• Plus1 1