Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

As implemented on the fly with zero pre-planning last Spring, it was not successful in some places, or for some kids. And certainly kids and teachers would prefer to be in classrooms.

But remote learning has worked the world over, and can work here, with proper planning and execution. 

This. I fully realize that my experience might be the exception and not the rule, but most of my students had good-to-great success with their remote learning. Full disclosure: I lead the online curriculum for my building, and we've been using it for almost a decade now, so my students are conditioned to working online. But, ultimately, we graduated 95% of our seniors on time, and one of my juniors used this to her advantage to graduate a year early. 

18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I hope we have football, school and everything just opens as normal. If your not comfortable you can work or school remote as an option with no punishment or judgement. Not comfortable going to a game- keep your butt home. 

This is likely going to be us. There's an immune compromise situation in my family right now, so depending on what UNL does with tickets, either I'll use them or we'll sell whatever we get. No way are we risking anything to see some football games in person.

Hopefully this fast-track vaccine works and we can all get back to getting heat stroke in the stadium next year, but this year, I think a lot of folks are going to opt to stay home.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is likely going to be us. There's an immune compromise situation in my family right now, so depending on what UNL does with tickets, either I'll use them or we'll sell whatever we get. No way are we risking anything to see some football games in person.

Hopefully this fast-track vaccine works and we can all get back to getting heat stroke in the stadium next year, but this year, I think a lot of folks are going to opt to stay home.

I totally support that. Honestly I won’t even attend a game more than likely. I usually don’t. But I don’t like seeing choice and freedom removed from everyone just because some are uncomfortable. If people use common sense we can prevail. For example, if you go to a game. Maybe isolate and watch yourself for 2 weeks before you go visit grandma at the nursing home. 

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I totally support that. Honestly I won’t even attend a game more than likely. I usually don’t. But I don’t like seeing choice and freedom removed from everyone just because some are uncomfortable. If people use common sense we can prevail. For example, if you go to a game. Maybe isolate and watch yourself for 2 weeks before you go visit grandma at the nursing home. 

And herein lies the problem. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

As implemented on the fly with zero pre-planning last Spring, it was not successful in some places, or for some kids. And certainly kids and teachers would prefer to be in classrooms.

But remote learning has worked the world over, and can work here, with proper planning and execution. 

Remote learning is not working the world over unless you're talking about at the university level. One of the major issues is that many families have no parent home to keep the kids focused on school, which is already really hard for K-8 even for kids in a classroom. Plus remote learning tends to most hurt the kids who are struggling. And remote learning requires computers and internet, which hurts the poorest kids.

The Results Are In for Remote Learning: It Didn’t Work

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Haha I get what your saying. I’m the first to admit lots of dips#!ts out there. But you start walking a fine line of starting to think the government knows best in everything and we need them to help make decisions on how to live our lives. In case you haven’t missed it government is corrupt and dumber than the masses 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Haha I get what your saying. I’m the first to admit lots of dips#!ts out there. But you start walking a fine line of starting to think the government knows best in everything and we need them to help make decisions on how to live our lives. In case you haven’t missed it government is corrupt and dumber than the masses 

That's why you listen to the medical experts. Masks are the key to this. Want football? Wear a mask. It's almost that simple.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Yes. Common Sense tends to get in the way of the whole “freedom “ thing.  

Another barometer we can use is the youth baseball season currently underway.     How that goes may tell us something.  There’s guidelines, but those tend to also get in the way of “freedom “.   

I was at my nephew’s baseball tournament in CB last weekend and their were hundreds of people and the only mask in sight was on my face.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Remote learning is not working the world over unless you're talking about at the university level. One of the major issues is that many families have no parent home to keep the kids focused on school, which is already really hard for K-8 even for kids in a classroom. Plus remote learning tends to most hurt the kids who are struggling. And remote learning requires computers and internet, which hurts the poorest kids.

The Results Are In for Remote Learning: It Didn’t Work

This is an analysis of the slapped-together response to COVID in America, not an assessment of how remote learning can work.

It's more a factor of the lack of adequate preparation and who's in charge of US education right now than anything.  Remote learning can work. No, it is not a replacement for in-person teaching and it is not ideally suited to everyone. But if done correctly as a short-term solution it can be effective.

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's why you listen to the medical experts. Masks are the key to this. Want football? Wear a mask. It's almost that simple.

True that.  Living in the nations number 1 hotspot for Covid growth our city council just voted down mask ordinance.  Unreal.  We are just going to ride it out I guess. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is an analysis of the slapped-together response to COVID in America, not an assessment of how remote learning can work.

It's more a factor of the lack of adequate preparation and who's in charge of US education right now than anything.  Remote learning can work. No, it is not a replacement for in-person teaching and it is not ideally suited to everyone. But if done correctly as a short-term solution it can be effective.

And I guarantee you that every school will now have a "Remote Learning" plan in place from this point on. 

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Your link is about universities and certificates, which I already acknowledged would work remotely. I don't think it will work short or long term for K-8.